Author Topic: MadVR setup for HDR UHD @PJ Big Screen  (Read 1992 times)

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
MadVR setup for HDR UHD @PJ Big Screen
« on: January 15, 2020, 20:46 »
Hi guys,
Been doing some readup and like to try HTPC feed to Projector for with regards to MadVR setup @HDR UHD Picture.
It seem like it's matching the nits output\pixel mapping technology.

Wonder if anybody have tried this out ? If yes, how does the license work for the MadVR software?
Hardware cost for the need HTPC specifications will be another factor too.

Thanks so much.
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR DV*Arcana 18Gbps  Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z1000 PRO
Cinénova Grande 5 l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.2.4
Miller & Kreisel® S150 THX Ultra2 Monitor L\C\R ,K4BK Tripole Front Heights 
Dual Rythmik FV18s @miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: MadVR setup for HDR UHD @PJ Big Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 23:08 »
Madvr is free.

Pixel mapping is out of the box mapping with HDMI. You just simple need to set your GPU to set refresh rate to 23.976hz.

Madvr will convert HDR to fit your pj nits. Describing it here is beyond the scope since the proper documentation will describe it clearly.

HTPC spec- i7 8700, RTX 2070. Ram 16Gb or more.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline eggz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 14:11 »
After using a Himedia Q10 pro for about a year I decided to build a MadVR HTPC on a smallish budget using some used components sourced from Carousell  ;D

My display setup is a JVC X5900 throwing on a 130inch 2.35:1 Screen Innovations Black Diamond

HTPC specs are:
Intel i3-9100 on ITX B360 chipset motherboard
Nvidia GTX 1070
16Gb DDR4 RAM

So far I've been really happy with the results, the HDR looks much better and I really like the flexibility of the HTPC. The 1070 is good enough for virtually all 4K UHD playback with all of MadVR's enhancements turned on to max. The only time I had to tune things down for performance was playing back 60Hz material at 4K like Gemini Man and Billy Lynn, and it was only 1 setting which made no significant impact on the image, at least nothing I could detect.

The good:
- MadVR works really well and you can tweak it to match the HDR capabilities of your PJ almost perfectly
- The flexibility allows one to adjust aspect ratios as needed, very useful since I'm using an anamorphic lens but don't have to rely on the stretching modes on the PJ which introduce more delays to the video chain and sometimes can cause lip sync issues
- Benefit from the latest and greatest Codec and filter improvements.
-  One can play with various media players on the HTPC while they all share the same MadVR setup. For example for most .mkvs one can use MPC-HC, but if you wanna play BDMV folders or .iso (via virtual drive), you can use JRiver MC
- For listening to multi-channel sound on headphones (when the family needs me to be quiet), I just attach a Creative X-Fi AMP USB dongle and any corded headphone, cheap and cheerful and works well too.

Some caveats to be aware of:

1) If you're using a Nvidia GPU, you'll be at the mercy of their drivers and various versions of the drivers might have issues. some of the problems and recommendations are tracked here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=d850392f75b9e5a3b81f1db637605726&t=176013
2) If you're using last gen (before N series) JVC projectors there is a magenta bug, certain refresh rates with 8 bit depth causes the entire screen to turn magenta. It's well documented in the thread above and there are various workarounds
3) Depending on your set up, HTPCs might introduce ground noise, but it's easy to fix

Excellent MadVR info found here for one to get started:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 14:17 by eggz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 20:13 »
After using a Himedia Q10 pro for about a year I decided to build a MadVR HTPC on a smallish budget using some used components sourced from Carousell  ;D

My display setup is a JVC X5900 throwing on a 130inch 2.35:1 Screen Innovations Black Diamond

HTPC specs are:
Intel i3-9100 on ITX B360 chipset motherboard
Nvidia GTX 1070
16Gb DDR4 RAM

So far I've been really happy with the results, the HDR looks much better and I really like the flexibility of the HTPC. The 1070 is good enough for virtually all 4K UHD playback with all of MadVR's enhancements turned on to max. The only time I had to tune things down for performance was playing back 60Hz material at 4K like Gemini Man and Billy Lynn, and it was only 1 setting which made no significant impact on the image, at least nothing I could detect.

The good:
- MadVR works really well and you can tweak it to match the HDR capabilities of your PJ almost perfectly
- The flexibility allows one to adjust aspect ratios as needed, very useful since I'm using an anamorphic lens but don't have to rely on the stretching modes on the PJ which introduce more delays to the video chain and sometimes can cause lip sync issues
- Benefit from the latest and greatest Codec and filter improvements.
-  One can play with various media players on the HTPC while they all share the same MadVR setup. For example for most .mkvs one can use MPC-HC, but if you wanna play BDMV folders or .iso (via virtual drive), you can use JRiver MC
- For listening to multi-channel sound on headphones (when the family needs me to be quiet), I just attach a Creative X-Fi AMP USB dongle and any corded headphone, cheap and cheerful and works well too.

Some caveats to be aware of:

1) If you're using a Nvidia GPU, you'll be at the mercy of their drivers and various versions of the drivers might have issues. some of the problems and recommendations are tracked here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=d850392f75b9e5a3b81f1db637605726&t=176013
2) If you're using last gen (before N series) JVC projectors there is a magenta bug, certain refresh rates with 8 bit depth causes the entire screen to turn magenta. It's well documented in the thread above and there are various workarounds
3) Depending on your set up, HTPCs might introduce ground noise, but it's easy to fix

Excellent MadVR info found here for one to get started:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

Great info :) Thanks for sharing...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 19:25 »
Last weekend I spent some time to set up a HTPC...been thinking for a while to use MadVR for viewing 4K HDR content on my new Sony VW870ES laser projector. Still playing with it though. Anyone can share some of the prominent settings on MadVR settings to get 4K HDR content looking pristine? When I say "prominent" settings, I'm referring to those settings that are critical. For instance, to specify the refresh rate in the list like 1080p23, 2160p24, 2160p60 etc. Share your Device, Processing, Scaling algorithm, Rendering settings here, only those critical ones.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 23:09 »
After playing around with the MadVR Settings tonight, I have a better appreciation of what it is capable of. I will focus on 4 main critical settings.

Under Devices Setting
For the HDR, simply allow MadVR to decide what your display is capable will be most ideal. However, if you know your Display Target Peak nits, you can select, "tone map HDR usingpixel shaders" to input the Target Peak nits - e.g. 200 nits. Changes made is dynamic, meaning you can see the changes in the overall image of the content whilst it is being played. Just hit "Apply" to see the changes. In essence, the lower Peak nit say 120/250 will make the overall image brighter and higher Peak nit say 400/500m will make the overall image dimmer.

Under Processing Setting
If you have a powerful GPU say GeForce GTX 1070Ti and above, you can turn on "reduce banding artifacts" and set the default debanding strength to "high" (default is low). Leave the rest of the settings unchecked as it will put a toll on the GPU which ultimately cause frame drops and stuttering to manifest itself.

Under Scaling Algorithms
This is the second most important setting that you need to take note. Once again, if you have a powerful GPU (GTX 1070 and above), you should use "NGU" as the custom pixel shader for HDR tone-mapping. You can choose "Standard. High quality" for a cleaner picture.

Under Rendering Setting
Make sure you uncheck everything except for "Use Direct3D 11 for presentation". Also uncheck all settings parked under Windowed mode and Exclusive mode. For the "trade quality for performance" option, uncheck all boxes for maximum performance!

The end result for my 4K HDR playback is much better than my Zidoo X9S. Try it for yourself! :)

Offline sypderman88

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 13:28 »
Hi,

I have been using since 5 years ago. It is the best video processor. Currentlt using on RTX2070 Super in which you can scale to 4k RGB 12 bit at much higher quality from 1080p sources (double luma, chroma, NGU Sharp very high) and other refinements.
 For HDR look at avsforum for latest BETA build, it has auto mapping of HDR using complex algo for projector . Supposedly can even JVC latest implementation , Panasonic UHD player implementation etc....
 Enjoy it bro.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 20:20 »
Anyone wanna share your settings in detail?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal