Author Topic: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio  (Read 7330 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05 »
IMHO ... hope I am wrong that it is not a managed network switch.
Haha. Hope so too...

Sent from my Tapatalk Pro

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 14:02 »
Sometimes it’s the placebo effects that are making us “see” or “hear” things that we “believe” is there. Not saying this product is not and I believe it must deliver in order to command such a price of $600 for a network switch.

Frankly, I think you should really “ease down” your upgraditis and save up a little from now onwards. This is an expensive hobby no doubt. But upgrade at a comfortable pace imo. Take it slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1, yea I agree, a little bit too fast :)

Nonetheless, enjoying every bit of it now, really solid and satisfied, keeps getting better and better

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2020, 15:27 »
+1, yea I agree, a little bit too fast :)

Nonetheless, enjoying every bit of it now, really solid and satisfied, keeps getting better and better

Glad to hear that. For all the hard work and $$$$$ spent, it time to start enjoying the fruits of your well deserved labour!!!

BTW thanks for contributing so much to this little community for the whole of last year and I’m sure you will carry on to contribute and help bros here to optimise their HT experience for years to come.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 15:30 »
We now have a trial program for the Bonn N8 network switch for customers who wish to test the Bonn N8 network switch in their homes. 

More details and package here:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=293266.0

Thank you.

James.

Thanks for the home trial for XP members here. Thumbs up!

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2020, 14:48 »
Ok drool first the supra CAT8 cables just arrived from UK, made in Sweden!

Bandwidth 2000MHz!

40GBase-T, double shielding

System is already so good with the plixir+silent angel combo,can’t wait to load this one in then hit play !!

Need for speed ! One of the affordable ones that pack a punch according to lotsa forum users all over the world

Offline BlurRhino

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2020, 16:31 »
Probably don't set too high expectations.. I have the Supra Cat 8 too and in my system especially short runs of less than 2m I cannot perceived much sonic differences compared to my bluejeans belden cat 6 cables.   

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 16:47 »
Probably don't set too high expectations.. I have the Supra Cat 8 too and in my system especially short runs of less than 2m I cannot perceived much sonic differences compared to my bluejeans belden cat 6 cables.

No diff huh? I don’t know yet, just read on other forums but seem to be recommended by many, but will compare plug out plug in between the existing uGreen CAT7 vs this supra CAT8 🐱 🐱 🐱... lotsa cats. ! Lol

Let’s see how it goes later , will share my findings as well

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2020, 17:17 »
Thanks for the efforts to try out and share your findings here :)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 21:22 »
Wah Wah tested the supra CAT8,

Here is what I did, first I used all cat6 cables, played that Super familiar Korean song, played twice, after that plug out plug in the stock uGreen cable CAT7

No difference between the cat 6 and uGreen CAT7 ! Can’t tell at all, they both sounded dry

Enter the supra CAT8, the vocals came to live instantly, background singer’s voice was crystal clear , much better synergy and separation.

The decay of the notes seem a fraction of second longer, as in it had an airy feeling to the voice, felt as if the singer was able to better catch his breathe when he was rapping away. Very lively

Clear winner the supra CAT8, highly recommended again! Lol

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 22:49 »
Wah Wah tested the supra CAT8,

Here is what I did, first I used all cat6 cables, played that Super familiar Korean song, played twice, after that plug out plug in the stock uGreen cable CAT7

No difference between the cat 6 and uGreen CAT7 ! Can’t tell at all, they both sounded dry

Enter the supra CAT8, the vocals came to live instantly, background singer’s voice was crystal clear , much better synergy and separation.

The decay of the notes seem a fraction of second longer, as in it had an airy feeling to the voice, felt as if the singer was able to better catch his breathe when he was rapping away. Very lively

Clear winner the supra CAT8, highly recommended again! Lol

Glad it work for you! :)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2020, 08:45 »
Here is the catch. If u have not AB the cables, you won’t be able to tell the difference.

The supra CAT8 connects from router to switch and another from switch to Apple TV. I tested with both unplugged and re plugged.

It’s like having a MILO drink in Malaysia, vs having MILo drink in Australia. They are both chocolate type drinks from Nestle. But strange why the one from Australia tasted much better.

Now if I had given that MILO drink to my 3yr old, he “probably/maybe” can’t tell the difference, it’s Milo after all. Give it to someone like me who loves chocolate drinks, and I’ll be able to tell. That’s how I’d describe this cable.

I believe the cable is nothing magical, just well built with good connectors and transmission rate etc. The stock cable that I had or the cat6, probably was tested to cater for that minimum standard quality

Now if u use a well built CAT6 cable, with good data transmission rate etc, I believe it will be no different to the CAT8. I believe the built and material used plays a huge role here, that is why I’m hearing the benefits

For pound $32.50 2m cable, this is a NO BRAINER !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2020, 09:11 »
Double triple confirmed last night, the supra CAT8 is far superior to the uGreen CAT7 or existing CAT6. Quite a noticeable difference

There have been information elsewhere that the uGreen CAT8 is also much better than the CAT7.

So it may be a CAT8 thing, not sure, haven’t had the chance to compare the uGreen CAT8

But in terms of the built quality, can be seen

On the left the CAT7 and right cat8. This member reported that the cat8 sounded much better than the CAT7 in many ways , on his set up.

So it could be that the technical specs are superior , apart from the built, connectors and termination quality that is improving the sound

uGreen cat8 is like $10-$15 bucks though. I have no experience on that, but coming from others

Hope it helps. Before u spend too much on cables , decent CAT8 one seems to be a worthy consideration

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 08:40 »
Here are some diagrams on how to connect this, most don’t read or no time to read the manual

The router goes into Port 1 on the N8 switch

Below is sample of layout

Here is where the N8 sits

There is some form of idea that connecting to 3, 5,7 , would yield good results. (Ie skipping the next available port) I’m connecting it this way, as I only use 3 ports, (lyndorf, Apple TV and another existing TP link switch) I don’t use NAS. So just follow if u r not using all the ports

Whilst there are benefits connecting the CAT8 supra from router to switch, I’m not sure of the benefits from modem to router, using a CAT8. As that would be the source fibre optics to the router. Data integrity and accurate data transmission important here? Haven’t tried, no idea. I suppose not that critical

It could or could not have much benefits. Haven’t got a clue yet.

With power, at my home, I’ve had the PE35 ground loop emi filter placed, and a separate dedicated power for the HT system, the benefits were huge. All power feeding into the system from the original point were all sort of “cleansed”. The results were astonishing, easily 30-35% improvement

My Guess is, for $32.50 pounds, or maybe cheaper for a 1m version, probably worth trying and checking it out

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal