Author Topic: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio  (Read 4073 times)

Online wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 11:57 »
I have a number of Plixir products, including the Elite BAC and Elite BDC. I also have a number of other linear power supplies in the system, and the DC cable does have a large effect on the sound although from a technical point of view, conductivity and adequate current carrying capacity should be the real determining factors. I found the claims of aftermarket DC cables to be quite doubtful until I began soldering my own and found very big differences.

DIY ones as good or better? what cable are you using for the DC cables? have you followed this thread?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 13:32 »
The TOP one is with silent angel + plixir LPS. Bottom one is TP Link with stock power cord.

Now how is ethernet transmission affecting the streaming quality ? No idea man ! But u can see yourself it’s different, even more evident when viewing it live. All I did was plug out RJ45 from Apple TV to TP link switch, then plug out again and connect it to Silent Angel, that’s all.

You won’t understand what is missing until u swap it around and AB it.

The original second pic/ bottom pic already looked very good to me before the introduction of silent Angel.

Needless to say, quality for music will be in a different league when it connects to the silent Angel. The difference was pretty clear to me, that’s also before even adding the supra CAT8. All these were connected using the uGreen CAT7 cable

What I noticed personally is this

1) colours looked more vibrant. (Vibrant but not saturated type)
2) I get a lot more pop out of the pic
3) the facial expressions were much more defined, I could see Aunt May’s wrinkles clearly
4) much smoother motion

I didn’t see much reduction in noise, as the original source movie itself has very little noise to begin with

A lot of times, people will say, it sounds crystal clear, it sounds good. But the thing here is his/her good , May not be the same as my good. So the level for good will vary. Zooming in to the pictures, it paints a thousand words. With digital streaming, once the jitter is Low, data transmission is good, the benefits can be seen ...

This now stays on in my HT chain for the next 5 years at last, with the advancement of digital streaming, it makes sense having a good reliable switch with LPS

Highly recommended by me

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 13:50 »
This now stays on in my HT chain for the next 5 years at last, with the advancement of digital streaming, it makes sense having a good reliable switch with LPS
;D ;D ;D your famous 5 years outlook

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 14:04 »
;D ;D ;D your famous 5 years outlook

Lol, thats cos I have factored in 20% depreciation on equipment cost, so 5 years useful life, after which any sale is a gain , write off and dispose is ok

Fully utilised its benefits, Hahaha

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 14:18 »

DIY ones as good or better? what cable are you using for the DC cables? have you followed this thread?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/

My experiments actually predate that thread.

I use a simple twisted pair with no shield. The engineering guys aren't going to like this, but the best sounding recipe I came up with was with Neotech OCC solid silver cable. None of my builds are consistent in design, so it's a bit difficult to also do direct comparisons, e.g. different DC plugs, or termination ends (because my LPSUs use a variety of sockets).

For the non-belivers, you can order a Canare based build from Ghent Audio in China for decent pricing.
Less is more !

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 10:02 »
Lol, thats cos I have factored in 20% depreciation on equipment cost, so 5 years useful life, after which any sale is a gain , write off and dispose is ok

Fully utilised its benefits, Hahaha
Ahhhh then consider using the LPS for media player if you are using then if they are both on same voltage range. Have fun!

Online wizardofoz

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2020, 10:58 »
In reality 20% depreciation is OK for 5yrs...spoken like an accountant  ;)

Regards to using one power supply, unless it has dual isolated outputs you are better not to use to power more than one device as one unit will potentially impact on the other....at least that's how the theory goes.

I just got someone I know with a Bonn an LMPS for it. be interesting to hear if it will take a difference.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15 »
What I meant is to use either on one device if on same voltage. I never like one LPS powering dual devices.

Online wizardofoz

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 11:24 »
What I meant is to use either on one device if on same voltage. I never like one LPS powering dual devices.

OK well my comment applies for any others who might think its ok  8)  however much attention needs to be paid to not just Voltage but also Current of both Supply and Device.

as an example, the UpTone EtherREGEN need 7-12V but the current need varies for different voltages. so at 7V it needs 1.4A, 9V @ 1A and 12V @ 0.8A so while one might have a supply thats the correct Voltage available you need to consider what the Current needed and available is.

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 11:42 »

OK well my comment applies for any others who might think its ok  8)  however much attention needs to be paid to not just Voltage but also Current of both Supply and Device.

as an example, the UpTone EtherREGEN need 7-12V but the current need varies for different voltages. so at 7V it needs 1.4A, 9V @ 1A and 12V @ 0.8A so while one might have a supply thats the correct Voltage available you need to consider what the Current needed and available is.
That is certain because I like higher current which sounds good to me.  ;D

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 12:15 »
For me, I like to ensure that my device is well within the current capability of the LPSU to avoid stress on the power transformer and voltage regulators.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57 »
Ahhhh then consider using the LPS for media player if you are using then if they are both on same voltage range. Have fun!

I’m using just Oppo 205 to playback MKV files, some BDMV files by BHD and OMFUG supports full BD menu. Not using any media player at the moment. Only single Oppo 205 for music vide xlr, oppo for cd music, 4k movies , USB , all through Oppo single equipment

Then lyngdorf for streaming music and Apple TV Netflix , YouTube stuff. A lot of times on weekdays I end up streaming because it’s so convenient at the click of a button. (Drama most of the time)

Overall the performance of the switch is incredible on the streaming aspect, coming from a TP Link user

Didn’t experiment further on the ethernet cables, just took the word of forum users that the supra CAT8 is bang for buck type cable

I’m actually firm believer of the plixir equipment from sound affairs . Previously I was using a bada conditioner . I used a mogami 2803 cable, I was hooked with the mogami rca cable, it brought so much improvement

Enter the plixir elite 3000 into the chain, that mogami 2803 cable sound no different from the $5 rca cable. The elite just clean up whole bunch of the noise , so good to the extend that RCA cables makes no significant difference no more

Even the isotek plug that is meant to clean up noise had 0 impact after the plixir was added.

Very good stuff, proud to know that we have a made in Singapore product that is right up there challenging the big guys

No turning back for me, very deep deep poison sound affairs stuff. Silent Angel was also recommended by him, streaming is much better now, especially audio, highly audible improvement

Offline Sound Affairs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PLiXiR Balanced Power Products.
    • Sound Affairs
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 11:26 »
We now have a trial program for the Bonn N8 network switch for customers who wish to test the Bonn N8 network switch in their homes. 

More details and package here:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=293266.0

Thank you.

James.
PLiXiR Balanced AC Power Conditioners/DC Supplies and Cables.  Made in Singapore.

Swiss PSI Active Bass Traps and Active Speakers

OPPO Digital Distributor and Product Modifications Centre.

DAC and Digital source modifications with True Femto Clock modules.

Other Brands : MELCO, Black Cat Cables, Weiss Digital, Benchmark, Bfly, Frank Ultrabank Products UB25000

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 07:11 »
Dare not go there man.... lol. For now I just live with what I have, happy emotiva sounds good enough for me

I work on my simple tweaks first this year, isolation stuff, tidy up with good rack, de clutter, add in this nice switch, neat neat for streaming and all these gonna stay on for many more years to come. Once I have completed my full analysis and experiments on the isolation stuff etc I’ll be very happy

The other one I did was separate the power line with frank PE35, that was also very solid, I thought was end game close shop. Suddenly Still seeing benefits from switch... it’s like... Huh?? Switch also have benefits ... lol, never ending this hobby

Sometimes it’s the placebo effects that are making us “see” or “hear” things that we “believe” is there. Not saying this product is not and I believe it must deliver in order to command such a price of $600 for a network switch.

Frankly, I think you should really “ease down” your upgraditis and save up a little from now onwards. This is an expensive hobby no doubt. But upgrade at a comfortable pace imo. Take it slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:19 by desray »

Offline Sunblock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 09:04 »
Sometimes it’s the placebo effects that are making us “see” or “hear” things that we “believe” is there. Not saying this product is not and I believe it must deliver in order to command such a price of $600 for a network switch.

Frankly, I think you should really “ease down” your upgraditis and save up a little from now onwards. This is an expensive hobby no doubt. But upgrade at a comfortable pace imo. Take it slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO ... hope I am wrong that it is not a managed network switch.