Author Topic: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio  (Read 7303 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 08:06 »
Nice to see you are having fun. There is far more potent poison in the storeroom over there. As an example, the Telegartner M12 switch gold. I hope you are using the Silent Angel with a LPS instead of the stock switching supply.

Haven’t gone there, just going to use it to connect to the dedicated power sockets, still have 1 slot for that.  I hope that does the job and doesn’t introduce noise into the chain instead.  But I think LPS will probably bring it up to another level.

Are u using any of these switches ?

Some swear they can see a difference in picture quality, maybe they are on LPS. I am Using the stock power cord, I don’t see any improvement in picture quality, maybe there is , but not noticeable and impactful enough

I’m gonna try next this combination

From dedicated power socket (for source) —>  silent angel—> rest of equipment RJ45 (lyngdorf, Apple TV, Oppo 205) . Hope it doesn’t pollute the line, I’ve got another power socket that connects to the plixir cube 4 and then Oppo, avr, Apple TV, Xbox . This socket shares the same power line as the silent Angel

At the moment all router, modem etc gets connected to another general power sockets at home

Now that I see the benefits of the switch, I’ll try out a few combinations and see how it goes

Will report my findings after some testing

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 08:16 »
And the Melco S100 switch too

This silent angel is affordable, for the quality it brings, not bad really. I gotta use a switch anyway, everything connects to internet nowadays. So worth getting one good one for the audio system. Just one is enough to get the job done

This should stay in the chain for at least the next 5 years

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 13:09 »
I am currently using the Melco S100 switch, although I did a detailed comparison of that vs the Telegartner M12 Gold and Magic. The differences are quite clear (I have demonstrated this to a small group of Audiophile friends) despite the fact that the switch merely connects my Melco NAS / Streamer to the wireless access point for control purposes. The Melco also markets the unit as offering isolation from unwanted traffic.

I have also run tests with the switch in between a consumer NAS and an SoTM SMS-200 Ultra - the differences are even more stark.

The switch has to be treated like any other component, and you may observe differences when using different footers, power supplies or LAN cables. For the doubters, this is simple enough to try. Just devote a simple switch to your hifi setup. No need for anything fancy. If it offers a DC input, you can also experiment with the power supply. For quite a long time, I used a small portable router that was USB powered from a powerbank for my setup.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 13:28 »
Wow, that’s eye opener indeed for me. As I’m not into Hifi stuff. But a lot of these theories apply to HT as well. They intertwine

I notice that once the room acoustics improve, any equipment that I throw in to the set up (provided it works) , is now able to reap the full rewards

Thanks for sharing, I saw that video from Hans on the sotm

Source Video and audio quality from streaming platforms have evolved and constantly improving as we speak, we have so many audio and video streaming services. I’m no audiophile but even on youtube platform, some of the Dolby music sounds really good to me.

Quick question, the switch has 8 ports, does it matter if I plug in to any? Or does it follow a specific sequence, or skipped, ie, 1 to port 1, another to port 3, another equipment to port 5?

I observed that the design has separate chips for every two ports

Offline watchdog

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 13:39 »
It depends - you can only try in the absence of any instructions in the manual. The Melco instructs you to use the slower ports for your music equipment.

If you are willing to disregard science, feel free to also 1) Try the LAN cable both ways, 2) Use different LAN cables and lengths. For what it is worth, most of the Cat 7 cables I've tried aren't very nice sounding - some of the throwaway Cat 5 /6 cables I've had sound quite nice ! I like to put a bit of distance (in terms of cable length) between the switch and your main router.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 13:49 »
It depends - you can only try in the absence of any instructions in the manual. The Melco instructs you to use the slower ports for your music equipment.

If you are willing to disregard science, feel free to also 1) Try the LAN cable both ways, 2) Use different LAN cables and lengths. For what it is worth, most of the Cat 7 cables I've tried aren't very nice sounding - some of the throwaway Cat 5 /6 cables I've had sound quite nice ! I like to put a bit of distance (in terms of cable length) between the switch and your main router.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I’m using the uGreen CAT 7, 3 meter cable from mesh to the switch. I remember 2m was best, can’t recall where I read that. A bit of distance sounds good , i understand certain distance is required

Wow didn’t know certain ports are slower in data speed transmission .

Ok I’ll try and experiment around

Thanks again for all the tips, much appreciated

Btw, do u see any improvement on video with the switch?

The one and only time I saw improvement on the video was when I added the plixir elite 3000 on to the set up. Significant improvement that one.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 17:23 »
Did some reading and I came across feedback from other forum users who use the supra CAT 8 cable for all their streaming needs, apparently does the job pretty well. How well, no idea yet. The other one was wire world, but I didn’t explore there. Cost is pretty decent on the supra, my level type, I shipped mine from future shop Uk, 2m cost GBP32.50, 4m ones cost pound 49. Can read it here

https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/supra-cat8-ethernet-cable-review-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/3/

No VAT since overseas, no gst since below sgd400. shipping cost $ pound 10, for 2 pieces 2m that connects to Apple TV and Lyngdorf, the 4m goes into mesh router to switch

Some info on the Supra CAT 8 ethernet cable

This LPS plixir Elite 2 amps BDC series just came in , rather excited now, let’s me check out if there is any improvement in pic quality on Netflix , will report my findings soon

If I can tell the improvement on video, then this will be one helluva combination , confirmed the audio will be solid.

I always look at the video, if it clears up the noise on the pic, then 99.9% of the times the audio will be good, that’s how I test how good an LPS is..

It needs to be significant enough to justify staying in the chain...

Let’s see

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 10:02 »

In case u r wondering how I connect the Silent Angel switch, here see the above, the Lyngdorf MP50 has a built in media player as well. It also allows for connection to internet radio, roon, Spotify , air play etc

Gerald & Kim on 98.7, and The Muttons on 95fm, internet radio sounds crystal clear

Very convenient, “hey Google, turn on Spotify..... hey Google, turn on internet radio... nowadays everything is on streaming, makes sense to have the good quality switch, very convenient indeed, at a very good price for the quality

Sometimes “Hey google” until my kids go, hey Google, what is the answer to 9 x 6? Lol...

Dangerous dangerous....

Offline watchdog

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 21:45 »
I am strictly a 2 channel person and I keep my HT stuff totally separate from my main system.

The Plixir supply you post is using the lower grade DC cable, the signature cable is very very good.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I’m using the uGreen CAT 7, 3 meter cable from mesh to the switch. I remember 2m was best, can’t recall where I read that. A bit of distance sounds good , i understand certain distance is required

Wow didn’t know certain ports are slower in data speed transmission .

Ok I’ll try and experiment around

Thanks again for all the tips, much appreciated

Btw, do u see any improvement on video with the switch?

The one and only time I saw improvement on the video was when I added the plixir elite 3000 on to the set up. Significant improvement that one.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 09:30 »
I am strictly a 2 channel person and I keep my HT stuff totally separate from my main system.

The Plixir supply you post is using the lower grade DC cable, the signature cable is very very good.

Wahhh, u have already completed the experiment ! The statement cable u mean ? U are also using plixir ?

I’m just using the normal cables and already hearing very solid improvement, the LPS connects to the source power socket that connects to a cube 4 plixir. Today I will check picture quality and observe how much noise it cleans up on the signal path vide ethernet connections

It’s the best practice to have dedicated listening room for music and HT. I’m actually lucky my home is one of the older bigger type of HDB units, hall measures 6x8m.

Room is vacant now, but will have to make way for 1 boy, another room for 1 girl, and 1 master bedroom. Unfortunately don’t have the luxury for a dedicated room for music, wil have to be 2 in 1 combo 80-20:HT-Music combo

But u r right again, dedicated room would be the best choice be it for music or HT

Offline watchdog

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 13:49 »
I have a number of Plixir products, including the Elite BAC and Elite BDC. I also have a number of other linear power supplies in the system, and the DC cable does have a large effect on the sound although from a technical point of view, conductivity and adequate current carrying capacity should be the real determining factors. I found the claims of aftermarket DC cables to be quite doubtful until I began soldering my own and found very big differences.
Less is more !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 08:03 »
Ok I’ve finished the video analysis

Anyone wanna Guess which is which?

All else being equal, ie, BENQ 5700, Apple TV Netflix

One of the shots from Spider-Man far from home. One of it is Angel+Plixir and another is TP link switch with stock cable

Vs

The above is the video side of the story. Just a simple plug out plug in of ethernet cable . Not even on supra CAT8 yet

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05 »
Can DL the photos on your mobile phones, then u compare

That’s how I compare, if I see improvement in video, 99.9% u will hear improvement in sound quality, it’s the same methodology I use when I compare the power conditioners etc

Anyway, let’s hear it from users as well. I’ve got a few feedback, so many eagle eyes

Offline tomok

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27 »
The TOP one is the better one lah

Offline Lam1n1n

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 11:16 »
First one better.
Most obvious at his left armpit and both shoulders.
Her nose and hands
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal