Author Topic: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!  (Read 11428 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
Re: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2019, 19:16 »
Earth sound and Lenbrook

Which shop is selling these NAD ?

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2019, 21:24 »
Anyone using 758 or 777 can post their reviews here?

Offline sevenz

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2020, 12:30 »
Posting my initial review here too from another thread.
--------
Posting my initial impressions after a confident calibration (after several rounds of trial and error).  :) Finally stabilised! Phew

My comments will be mainly based on the assumption of a default calibration outcome on the DL (full version) on NAD T777 vs a default calibration outcome on audyssey xt32 on a marantz Sr7011.

Areas evaluated (that were impt to me):
1) dialogue
2) immersion & sound panning
3) bass vs main volume balance
4) sound signature (comments on the differences rather than which is better)
5) DL software
6) NAD AVR sound calibration controls
7) NAD AVR OS UI

I'm using internal amps on the T777 to power my LCR and surrounds. Overhead speakers powered by ext amp.

1) Dialogue
- Assumption  - no bumping up of centre channel vol, LCR level matched, and no use of Dyn volume on audyssey
- noticeably the t777 had a significant clarity edge in the dialogue over the sr7011 audyssey. 1-2 notches up. Very impressed! And it's just using the internal amp of the NAD!
- I respect NAD's specs for being "stringent and under-rated" (80WPC). Many users feedback on this too and now i know what they mean by them saying the internal amps of the NAD is a beast although its only rated 80WPC. 
- tried challenging dialogue scenes and the T777 shone through. Super clear dialogue.

2) Immersion and speaker to speaker panning
- the immersion and speaker panning on the t777 was very good even without adjusting Ch vols of surrounds and Atmos. On the sr7011,  I had to compensate the SPLs of surrounds + overhead speakers more to make panning & immersion more seamless
- I felt the overall HT immersion of the T777 was a notch higher than sr7011 Audyssey.

3) bass Vs the main volume balance
- this was an important aspect for me. How the room EQ recognises the bass balance needed to match the main volume when playing
- the bass Vs the main volume balance on the t777 was great and quite spot on after calibration. I didn't need to do as much bumping up of the sub channel level after calibration compared to Audyssey on the SR7011
- I think T777 and DL did a better job for this, compared to Audyssey on the SR7011

4) Sound signature
- The bass sound signature of the NAD T777 was very clean, crisp yet forceful. Full of energy!
- Frankly, i was blown and I like the signature I heard, esp after using DL to implement a +7db rising house curve.
- Marantz sr7011 + audyssey gave a more laid back bass and not so dynamic sounding, but probably less fatigue in the long run. But that's Marantz house signature. No right no wrong. Matter of preference.

5) DL software
- the DL software was much more comprehensive and powerful than Audyssey XT32. It's capable of doing in-depth customisation across freq
- I could dial in target curves for each channel easily. And even dial in a house curve for my sub.
- the UI was pretty good i must admit.
- But there are some qualms that I am very bothered by:
(i) there are a lot of network connectivity bugs that gave problem connecting the DL software (located on the laptop) to the AVR and to the mic (i spent long hours troubleshooting. Apparently it's a known issue on NAD AVRs). One thing that helped is to use LAN cable rather than Wifi. That solved a lot of problems. 
(ii) the VOLUME CALIBRATION step/stage sucks. The DL and NAD manual didn't articulate so clearly. I had to go online to get more info from users. But once sorted, this is not a problem
(iii) It was more cumbersome to use because i had to open up my laptop to do calibration. For Audyssey, I can just do it on the fly on the AVR, one stop. But, I admit the DL is much more comprehensive and great for power users.
(iv) sometimes, the calibration data gets lost when the mic loses connectivity. And even though the project file is saved, sometimes it somehow can't be loaded back and continue.
(v) The dialing in of bass house curves and settings is more troublesome as I have to turn on my laptop and connect it to my AVR to do changes. Previously, i was using Antimode DC and it was such a breeze to use and I can tweak settings easily within a few seconds on the fly.
- I wish DL was embedded in the AVR itself. I find it really cumbersome to always have to open up laptop to tweak settings. For me, this is quite a deal breaker.  :/

6) NAD sound calibration controls/ settings
- once I knew the menu locations where to find things, the NAD sound calibration controls is in a way much simpler to use as it does not have so many settings compared to Audyssey (e.g Dyn vol, Dyn EQ, surround parameter, loudness compensation, reference offset).
- Audyssey has too many settings which confuses the user if the user just needs plug and play.
- One GREAT thing is the NAD allows storing of 3 sound profiles. And I can switch sound profiles on the go for different uses - e.g. music and movies. Kudos to NAD and DL for thinking of this. Super useful!

7) NAD OS UI
- Well, i prefer audyssey's flow and logic of its UI. This one NAD can learn from and improve.

Overall, my initial impressions is I felt the HT sound from the T777 + DL is a notch up compared to Marantz SR7011 + audyssey. Esp the outcomes from a default calibration. Good job DL.

At this price point of $3k+, the T777 with Dirac is super hard to beat. Other brands which has Dirac e.g. the Audio Control easily costs $5k+ and above
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 00:32 by sevenz »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 12:39 »
I just managed to watch the greatest showman movie on the NAD t777 last night.

Compared it w the marantz sr7011 sound.

The sound is SO GOOD. I like what I am hearing.

The NAD sound signature is very clean and the bass is authoritative yet not overwhelming or not giving a boomy sense.

Immersion and sound stage is 1 notch up

The star is the Dialogue! super impressive and it's quite clear even at lower volumes. LCR is level matched and no tweaking of centre. Kudos to NAD & DL for doing an excellent job to the dialogue. 2 notches up

And it's all using the internal amps of the t777. impressive.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:53 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 13:25 »
Excellent review!!!!! I like the way you put your points across so clearly in category. Well done bro Sevenz. Re watch every show you are familiar with and hear what you are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 13:28 by desray »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 14:13 »
Impressive! 👍

Offline sijusid

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 17:29 »
Nice review bro @sevenz.

I think you have done a fair assessment between audyssey and DL, which users from both sides will agree to.

Cheers.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2020, 23:42 »
Just to have a feel how many NAD AVR users there are in XP, then we can share information, resources and tips.

1) sevenz - T777v3
2) yuriais - T758v3
3) wechnivag - T758v3
4)
5)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 00:06 by sevenz »

Offline nur_hsc

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 10:11 »
Currently using marantz 7702 mk 2. I would to jump to nad 758 v 2. How much significant or improvement. Still on the fence.

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 22:04 »
Hi Bro,
Can the T777 decode DTS:X ?
Did you hear that this brand still has a bug?

:(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 22:11 by whitesox »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2020, 00:33 »
Hi Bro,
Can the T777 decode DTS:X ?
Did you hear that this brand still has a bug?

:(

DTS-X - yes it is supported which is great. 

Bug in brand - care to share more?

Offline nichino

• a healthy dose of curiosity goes a long way
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2020, 16:11 »
Great review @Sevenz! I second your review findings - I made the jump from a Marantz SR6003 so the improvement was even more obvious =)

Adding my name to the NAD AVR users list:

1) sevenz - T777v3
2) yuriais - T758v3
3) wechnivag - T758v3
4) nichino - T777v3
5)
Fronts: RBH SV-61R | Centre: RBH SV-661CR | Surround: MA Radius HD 90
Sub: HSU ULS-15 MkII + MA RSW 12
AVR: NAD T777v3

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2020, 17:06 »
Ohh, I ended up refunded my 758 due to ground loop issue. Good service from lenbrook.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal