Author Topic: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio  (Read 7318 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Ok, more poison ahead.

Warning: Do not read if u don’t wanna get poisoned

Recently I got myself a unit of the Silent Angel Bonn N8 ethernet switch, to connect all my audio equipment, Lyngdorf MP50, Oppo 205, Apple TV.  ( previously connected to a TP Link switch)

If you haven’t yet understand what this product does, here is a link

http://www.thunder-data.com/bonn-n8-1

And some video from Hans Himself below

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n95pGUQTvOk

In the Digital streaming Era of 2020, we now have lotsa streaming options for movies, audio etc all , tidal, Spotify, amazon HD, prime, Netflix and even the latest Disney+

It’s very very convenient now, just need to connect to Netflix, hit play and enjoy HDR Atmos , that convenient

On my lyngdorf Mp50, I connect it directly to this special switch , it connects to my Linksys mesh router, then I start streaming Spotify on the lyngdorf

Holy cow! I still heard like 30% improvement! On Spotify music, not even tidal MQA. The last time I experienced that significant an upgrade was when I swapped out from my divini PTC power cord to PTY

This time round, what this network switch brought to the system was very different. Here is what it benefited the system

1) I could hear very clear smooth details from the piano, very clear notes

2) if the divini PTY provided the seperation for details, this network switch provided definition. A lot of the instruments and the sword fighting scenes, sounded very detailed, as if someone is clearly behind me ( watching The Witcher on Netflix BTW)

3) it sounds very smooth, smooth sailing relaxing type of signature

4) finally the bass stops pretty fast, then the next note can be heard instantly as it takes over. Pretty fast and obvious

I was scratching my head, how is a network switch able to bring such an improvement? No idea man, check the video from Hans above, all the explanation is there

I noticed that the picture quality didn’t improve as much, maybe it had, but I couldn’t tell. For me, I need to see that improvement when i play it 10x, meaning each time I play, I notice the improvement, take it out, gone, plug in again, hear the improvement again, rinse and repeat and if 10x out of 10 I hear this improvement, then I’m convinced. Maybe because I had this plugged in to the general power socket where other household equipment connects to. It didn’t connect to my dedicated power sockets for HT. Or maybe LPS would be better? Not sure, haven’t gone there

I don’t use NAS, I use USB plugged in directly for my high quality movie playback, sometimes disc, those good ones.

I believe if u r using those tp link, Netgear , Linksys type switch or routers, then this switch will definitely bring your system up to the next level for streaming

Anyone else owns this ? Care to share your experience?

Oh yea, the other thing is on Fibre optics, the system benefits greater, plus I use a CAT 7 cable from uGreen, good enough to hear the improvement, no need so high end

Offline simic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Ummm... the ethernet specifications call for ethernet magnetics to isolate noise coming thru from the lan cable.

then there is error correction, checksum, buffering and retransmission all the way from Layer 2 to Layer 7 to ensure bit perfect copies.

Offline ronildoq

Bro, very chim! But nice, I like to understand all the chim chim stuff! That’s why we are here!

Are u using any of these ?

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
No offence, but the engineer in me is not convinced. Because in the digital domain, its 1 or 0.

Either u get back the original bits or not. If u dont get it, the network and equipment take care of retransmitting or error correcting it back to the original.

Its the same argument for better power cords. The gencos and SP Power transmission grid is using non audiophile grade cables and connectors. Does the last mile cable make so much difference?

Carry this to the Spotify example. The datacenter and ISP is using "normal" enterprise routers and switches. Using dirty switch mode power supplies. Does having a very high end last mile equipment make the difference? 

I only have a simple setup of emotiva, sonos, normal switches and random cat 5e/6 cables.

My equipment is not resolving enough bah. Shrugs.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 21:41 by simic »

Offline keai

Ok, more poison ahead.

Warning: Do not read if u don’t wanna get poisoned

wah bro Bryan, your poison is spreading in all aspects,  ;D

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 21:58 »
The engineer in me also find it hard to believe. On the other hand, it is possible the audiophile network switch can help minimised HF switching noise from polluting the power line.

Interestingly on the topic of power cable, I do notice marginal improvement when special power cable is used with source equipment. On the power line aspect, personally I found the isolation transformer brings about obvious benefit of lowering background noise. I park the noisy digital stuff on the dirty side, and all sources & preamp on the “cleaner” side.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 22:01 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline ronildoq

No offence at all man, don’t worry. I agree, I initially thought it’s just digital transmission, how is that suppose to clean up data ??

But in the end, after plugging it in, it does improve the set up ! To my disbelieve either

I’m quite happy with what I have heard, that’s why it’s staying on the chain for all my streaming, from amazon prime to Netflix and Spotify

Offline ronildoq

wah bro Bryan, your poison is spreading in all aspects,  ;D

Really poison man! I refuse to believe a switch can bring so much benefits. Benefits yes, but wasn’t expecting this type of level. See the video from Hans, u can trust this guy

It’s not really about surpressing noise I find, it’s the definition. Very very defined, the notes from the piano, the string from the guitar, very detailed type of sound, from the streaming device.

Nowadays everything is streaming, sometimes at night, I just switch on Netflix , Very evident at lower volumes . Change back to TP link switch, tone.... lol

Put this there 1 week, after that plug it out ... that’s your poison there

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
how much is the poison? :)

Offline ronildoq

I think it’s retailing euro395, local distri is sound affairs, I got mine from him

His stuff all very poisonous really, I dare not try, but each time I try, it stays in the chain

Next time I’m gonna tell him no more testing d... otherwise really poison

First was oppo 205, then it was psi active bass trap, after that I tried the plixir elite 3000, second to none man, then come this silent Angel 😇, really Angel

I know the benchmark amplifier is TOP notch, I’ve seen the numbers and objective measurements from Amir . I don’t wanna loan that one, dangerous. For now I’ll have to stay contented with my emotiva xpa -1

Offline keai

Re: Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 22:44 »
I know the benchmark amplifier is TOP notch, I’ve seen the numbers and objective measurements from Amir . I don’t wanna loan that one, dangerous. For now I’ll have to stay contented with my emotiva xpa -1

now that you mentioned the benchmark amp, I doubt the xpa-1 will stay with you long bro, lol

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 22:57 »
I think it’s retailing euro395, local distri is sound affairs, I got mine from him

His stuff all very poisonous really, I dare not try, but each time I try, it stays in the chain

Next time I’m gonna tell him no more testing d... otherwise really poison

First was oppo 205, then it was psi active bass trap, after that I tried the plixir elite 3000, second to none man, then come this silent Angel 😇, really Angel

going down rabbit holes. =)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 22:59 »
Dare not go there man.... lol. For now I just live with what I have, happy emotiva sounds good enough for me

I work on my simple tweaks first this year, isolation stuff, tidy up with good rack, de clutter, add in this nice switch, neat neat for streaming and all these gonna stay on for many more years to come. Once I have completed my full analysis and experiments on the isolation stuff etc I’ll be very happy

The other one I did was separate the power line with frank PE35, that was also very solid, I thought was end game close shop. Suddenly Still seeing benefits from switch... it’s like... Huh?? Switch also have benefits ... lol, never ending this hobby

Online watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 23:33 »
Nice to see you are having fun. There is far more potent poison in the storeroom over there. As an example, the Telegartner M12 switch gold. I hope you are using the Silent Angel with a LPS instead of the stock switching supply.
Less is more !

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch for streaming video and audio
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 01:39 »
Nice to see you are having fun. There is far more potent poison in the storeroom over there. As an example, the Telegartner M12 switch gold. I hope you are using the Silent Angel with a LPS instead of the stock switching supply.

And the Melco S100 switch too

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal