Author Topic: Coupling, Decoupling & Isolation, Anti Vibration, Shock Absorption  (Read 7727 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
So the herbie footers works as a slider as well.

Are the speaker stands filled with any sand or steel shots to work as particle impact dampeners ?

Read somewhere that using this approach helps as well, and the amount of sand filled in plays a part too

Finally , various sizes of the filling also plays a part. I didn’t venture further as I don’t use speaker stands, but there is a lot of study on this as well

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
So the herbie footers works as a slider as well.

Are the speaker stands filled with any sand or steel shots to work as particle impact dampeners ?

Read somewhere that using this approach helps as well, and the amount of sand filled in plays a part too

Finally , various sizes of the filling also plays a part. I didn’t venture further as I don’t use speaker stands, but there is a lot of study on this as well

This stand is base on open frame design concept , rigid but light weight , light weight because the concept is to transfer the energy to floor as fast as possible, old English Hifi wisdom....... this school of thought believe that heavy pillar design will store energy and release slower causing coloration....Rega turntable, Linn , Epos , Naim Hifi rack/speaker stand all use this concept

You believe this Super light weight Rega Naiad make of carbon fiber and foam cost £30000?

From my personal experience, open frame speaker stand usually have faster transient speed and more lively presentation than heavy pillar stand, heavy pillar stand if design wrongly some time might cause the bass and high a little over damped , that is the reason when fill heavy pillar design speaker stand we usually only fill in 3/4 the most to prevent it from over damp the sound.....but open frame design need not fill sand (defy the lightweights but rigid concept)

Offline ronildoq

I see, thanks for your sharing your personal experience , very helpful indeed

Offline Djblackfm

• Trade Count: (0)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPXJDdwtk4

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.

Offline ronildoq

Thanks for sharing the video DJ. I posted something similar in an earlier post. Having observed both the videos, I noticed the townshend ones doesn’t really couple it firmly on to the ground.

It still allows for “movement” , sort of like a “floating on water” kinda movement

I’m starting to wonder if the design on the seaton cabinets depth (42cm) , is such that it has to allow movement back and forth, coupled on TOP of one another.  it looks like a clear design choice from seaton, and they were meant to be stacked 1 master 3 slaves

Nonetheless, I’ll have the opportunity to clear my doubt when I re-eq and measure the impulse on the subs. Still waiting waiting to find out once the 6x2 line source woofers are completed this month

Offline ronildoq

How about this ? Totally hanging in the air, these can hit 130db at the bottom octave....

Offline wechnivag

1 can order 10 cm , but that will be 90kgs and too high for my speaker....

The reason I use granite is because my ATC speaker recommend the mid driver to be same height with ear, the original stand out on floor give most natural bass but the imaging is too Low for my liking.

Granite Don’t sound good if use spike direct on top of it, bass become too “float” (lack extension ) and too tight ...I use a spike plate that come with o ring underneath speaker stand above granite the bass become more acceptable , still not as good as use the stand with spike direct put on floor , bass becomes “thinner” after use the granite.....I like the fuller bass without the granite but I cannot accept the imaging so Low.

Still waiting to try out other footer between the stand and granite, I have some China make Finite Element ball bearing footer but the speaker is freaking heavy to rise to try out...

Wow, gorgeous.

Sometimes I wonder about these designs that are not exactly floorstander, but not stand mount either.. neither here nor there really difficult to handle...might as well build the cab to the floor, make use of the extra volume for increased bass efficiency or depth extension.

My practical instinct is to use a sub/stand to make up the height...best a dual opposed model like Rythmik G25 etc. Hahahah.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Wow, gorgeous.

Sometimes I wonder about these designs that are not exactly floorstander, but not stand mount either.. neither here nor there really difficult to handle...might as well build the cab to the floor, make use of the extra volume for increased bass efficiency or depth extension.

My practical instinct is to use a sub/stand to make up the height...best a dual opposed model like Rythmik G25 etc. Hahahah.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

The ATC and TAD in photo are for studio mixing and mastering, floor standing speaker wasn’t too convenient to set up at those environments.