Author Topic: Coupling, Decoupling & Isolation, Anti Vibration, Shock Absorption  (Read 4439 times)

Offline ryanchong

• Trade Count: (0)
keep it up and i am enjoying your findings , wanted to do this for a while but the issue quantifying the results of it. of course, your personal hearing is conclusive, but after a while, you start to suspect whether your efforts do result in effective isolation or just placebo.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
The reason why I decided to look into the coupling decoupling isolation stuff is because I have personally experienced and heard the benefits at other members place and that was on a marble floor. The improvement was highly noticeable

Whilst some prefer not to isolate, as for HT, we want the tactile feel, we want to feel every bit of ULF, so coupling is the way

However, I’m keen on finding out, what de-coupling the subs bring to the set up, especially when my flooring is laminated timber. I wanna try and listen personally, the pros and cons behind. See how it goes when I’m listening to the drivers and less of the room

My Guess is I would require much higher amplifier power to drive the subs, but the good side of decoupling would be to hear and feel the airborne pressure instead of structural mechanical vibrations. That also gives us the comfort that we do not disturb the neighbours below us

I’ve got the crowsons motion actuators for tactile to vibrate the chairs and simulate that experience, so I don’t need that mechanical vibrations. What I’m after is air pressure. Hence the decision for 6x10” seas woofer on left right each in line source, purely after the air pressure now, clean , fast tight sounding type , that’s what I’ve always been after, good transient Attack

Let’s see how it goes, stay tuned I’ll try and update along the way

I think I’m done with calibration, room eq, subwoofer stuff, acoustics, ULF, BEQ... all done and dusted. The area that I have the least experience is with decoupling and I see tremendous benefits behind

Offline ronildoq

Here is one very good video, the physics behind, clearly explained

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1</a>

Not that Im going to purchase one of these townshend ones, but the key highlights on why it needs to be isolated, lesser tactile bass yes, but clean sounding, hearing &feeling the subs more, less mechanical vibrations and less distortion, no disturb to the neighbours —>+1 (not that my neighbours are complaining, haven’t had one so far, thank god)

Here is what I’ve decided to do with the seatons subwoofer stacked pair, they weigh 60kgx2 + 10kg Steel shots + 12kg granite slabs sitting on TOP sub + 10kg dumbbell = 152kg supported by 4 spring isolators. I may eventually go for this to pair the seas woofers

These are spring isolators, each footer can easily hold up to 100kg load, 4 of these would give me 400kg load. They use some form of special industrial spring

It has got 7 “nail” like grip that firmly holds it down and provide anti slip properties.Option to choose with and without , single or both sides. Getting the double sided version (the one in red)

The central part of the compression spring is tightly combined with the foot pad. Both of them are separated from the whole body, and there are three shock absorbers in the upper, middle and lower parts.

Real pics to follow once I’ve got it up and running , WIP now...

Close up look below, highly recommended for subwoofers

Simple video below that shows why spring isolation is the way to go for subwoofers! It’s has got that much needed elastic effect for isolation

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j8JqRkW0V88&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j8JqRkW0V88&fs=1</a>

Offline ronildoq

Re: Coupling, Decoupling & Isolation, Anti Vibration, Shock Absorption
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 19:09 »
Finally completed most of the isolation works, with a proper rack and granite

This goes directly under the Oppo 205 CD player, sorbothane-divini-ball bearing with anti slip. Oppo is done

I fitted a single piece of sorbothane, beneath the Apple TV player, Beneath the modem, beneath the Silent Angel switch and some small tiny pieces beneath the router. That’s done !

On TOP of the casing of the Oppo player, had two pieces sorbothane on to dampen casing vibration

Very extreme !

However I didn’t go with sorbothane for the speakers, instead I used a granite plinth with ball bearing footers for isolation. I found that beneath the speakers and subs, the ball bearing footers are much nicer . So no sorbothane there. The same granite slab sits beneath on the surround floorstanders , but with blutack, firmly stocked beneath. Blutack would couple the energy into the granite base

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 19:18 »
Next up with subwoofers.

This is what I did on the stacked subs, I’m sticking with the ball bearing footers instead , ditching the idea of using spring for isolation

There were far more greater benefits adding weight onto the stacked subwoofer above.

So I had 12”x12 sorbothane cut into various pieces, placed above the subs

Then a layer of 3mm cork sheet, followed by a granite slab 15kg and another cork sheet, like this

That followed suit with some dumbbells to add on more weight, to provide better recoil stability

Above that, another 20kg of steel shots for particle impact damping , into a beanbag stacked on TOP

That will provide lotsa weight down for the stacked sub, which I’m planning to couple into the subs below.

The last round when I took out the footers, I had an air leak. This time round, I’ll seal it off with the screws below to prevent air leak. The above subs then couples to the one below as 1. Thereafter, I only need isolate the bottom sub from the wooden structure

Bottom sub will have another piece of granite slab, with a thicker layer of cork sheet. That’s to be continued ...

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 19:36 »
That’s the final layout at the front stage, fuu... damn tiring

What followed last week was a big big smile

Amazing clarity on mid range and very very tight bass. It’s getting faster and faster, very much in control to my liking . Never mind the reduced tactile feeling, but transient and Attack is what I’m after. Almost there, one more to go with line source woofers stacked! That will complete it

I was playing just YouTube music videos, can’t believe what I’m hearing.

I watched this Korean drama goblin on Netflix, and u know they keep repeating the theme song in the drama, so i became familiar with this song

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pcKR0LPwoYs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pcKR0LPwoYs&fs=1</a>

When I fired up this song yesterday, it was a different song !! I heard so many things never heard before. Hair all standing (if u have watched this drama, it’s a sad story) but the song is really nice. Amazing width and instrument , the female vocals were magnificent . This was played in 2 channel stereo and I could get sound at surrounds and heights, unbelievable , damn good

Now I’m not sure if it’s the silent Angel switch and plixir LPS or supra cable or isolation work, I Guess all of it played a part . Which one has the most impact, no idea as of now... will investigate further

All in all, another level up now with the isolation work completed

I’ve lent my demo disc to another member, can’t test on my fav stuff as yet. But it’s so damn satisfying now

WORTH IT!

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 19:39 »
Now I’m not sure if it’s the silent Angel switch and plixir LPS or supra cable or isolation work, I Guess all of it played a part . Which one has the most impact, no idea as of now... will investigate further
Time to remove the switch and LPS from the picture! Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 19:52 »
Time to remove the switch and LPS from the picture! Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, that’s the fastest way to tell. First of all change the supra cable to the uGreen and compare against the previous normal cat6 cable. Compare the cables first,  then switch and LPS... from there should be able to tell the difference

But the switch with the plixir is really good, tested earlier. Very satisfied. Now just need to quantify how much benefit each change brought to the set up

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 19:10 »
Came across this artesania rack, the look gorgeous. Best part is the engineering behind. Those who are looking into racks or decoupling, and serious about can check this out, from Munich high end

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3cBX0CjcP1g&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3cBX0CjcP1g&fs=1</a>

Unfortunately I’m not into Hifi stuff, but this looks really good

Close up look on the neoprene disc in use

There is actually another layer within for isolation, entire thing looks like it’s floating

Holiao !! Price also Holiao!

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 14:43 »
Here is one very good video, the physics behind, clearly explained

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dW9-r83IvhI&fs=1</a>

Not that Im going to purchase one of these townshend ones, but the key highlights on why it needs to be isolated, lesser tactile bass yes, but clean sounding, hearing &feeling the subs more, less mechanical vibrations and less distortion, no disturb to the neighbours —>+1 (not that my neighbours are complaining, haven’t had one so far, thank god)

Here is what I’ve decided to do with the seatons subwoofer stacked pair, they weigh 60kgx2 + 10kg Steel shots + 12kg granite slabs sitting on TOP sub + 10kg dumbbell = 152kg supported by 4 spring isolators. I may eventually go for this to pair the seas woofers

These are spring isolators, each footer can easily hold up to 100kg load, 4 of these would give me 400kg load. They use some form of special industrial spring

It has got 7 “nail” like grip that firmly holds it down and provide anti slip properties.Option to choose with and without , single or both sides. Getting the double sided version (the one in red)

The central part of the compression spring is tightly combined with the foot pad. Both of them are separated from the whole body, and there are three shock absorbers in the upper, middle and lower parts.

Real pics to follow once I’ve got it up and running , WIP now...

Close up look below, highly recommended for subwoofers

Simple video below that shows why spring isolation is the way to go for subwoofers! It’s has got that much needed elastic effect for isolation

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j8JqRkW0V88&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j8JqRkW0V88&fs=1</a>
what's the price for this?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

7.2.4 [DENON X7200WA,MINIDSP DDRC 88A/2x4, ANTHEM MCA 3 POWER AMP POWERING KEF LS50 LCR C/W GRILLES,ADA MPA 5 POWERING DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK FV15HP+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7
EGREAT A10

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 08:37 »
I didn’t go with this in the end... I think it’s about $100 for 4 pieces

Maybe u can try see if it works

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 09:15 »
See how some get really Creative with isolation, using just tennis balls

Pretty awesome

I saw the benefits behind, isolating the subwoofers from the floor. Again I concur with this guy’s finding, u need more amplifier power, but they sound very clean and things in the house doesn’t rattle

What followed suit for me after the isolation exercise was that I can now enjoy “object based” bass.

“Object based” bass was possible because I have lost that “ rumbling effect “ on the butt. What’s happening now is that the bass whooshing and hitting is all moving in 3 dimensions, that includes height . Because of the less inertia hitting the body, I’m starting to actually feel the subwoofers energy. Moving in air, in all 4 different directions. Previously I believe the rumbling to the body, has taken away all the effects that I’m feeling now. In short, I was actually listening more to the room wood floor resonant frequencies when Low frequencies take over.

I now understand why some of the Low frequencies energy is felt at bottom areas in most places, that’s because the bulk of energy transmits through floor and we feel most of it through the floor and when that happens, everything from the floor, “overides” what’s felt in the air.

The other thing is the sofa is also isolated, it’s isolated from the wooden structure through the crowsons. The crowsons uses sorbothane footers. So the sofa is also “floating”

This is the reason why I’m enjoying 3D bass now, with extended bass into the height region. Not only is my hair standing, they are felt with precision, that’s the biggest difference I noticed. The bass is not only precise on body level, they are really good at heights as well

Finally no doubt again, stack is the way to go for subwoofers, that’s confirmed, double triple chop confirmed

I went with cork at the bottom and granite plinth beneath the subwoofers

One caveat is that the seatons are 60cmX45cm in depth. Now the issue with 45cm depth is that when the subwoofer is stacked, it doesn’t provide as good , recoil stability. Something I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing. Nonetheless, adding more weight on to the TOP sub helps weigh it down

Will find out soon, overall, quite happy with the overall work done

Offline Jason Yeo

• I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 16:15 »
I have tried on my mk sub before. Unstable platform for my mk sub will make the bass bloated. More wind feel. Turning pistol gun to air gun. Can be good or bad, depends on ones taste.

Denon,Marantz,Stewart,Ayre,Furutech,PS audio Wireworld,Bettercables,RGPC,Quantum,Pioneer,SvS,Shunyata,Hifi-tuning,Auralex,Mcintosh,JBL,Equitech,silent source,exactpower,Revelation Audio Labs,elementcable,ASC,lessloss,PuristAudioDesign,Kubala Sosna,Oyaide,Nordost,EuroAudioTeam,Kimble select,SeatonSubmersive

Offline Jason Yeo

• I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 16:26 »
Bro roni nailed it. 3d bass is nicer to feel to me too due to more air feel to head, body  n etc. In my case, i sacrificed butt n back feel to get more air.
Denon,Marantz,Stewart,Ayre,Furutech,PS audio Wireworld,Bettercables,RGPC,Quantum,Pioneer,SvS,Shunyata,Hifi-tuning,Auralex,Mcintosh,JBL,Equitech,silent source,exactpower,Revelation Audio Labs,elementcable,ASC,lessloss,PuristAudioDesign,Kubala Sosna,Oyaide,Nordost,EuroAudioTeam,Kimble select,SeatonSubmersive

Offline Jason Yeo

• I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 16:28 »
Flight of the pheonix is one of the movies that able to let u feel the sudden shifting of air in your room.