Author Topic: Coupling, Decoupling & Isolation, Anti Vibration, Shock Absorption  (Read 9009 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Bro regarding coupling and decoupling of speaker , there are 2 school of thought.

Yes decoupling reduce structure borne, reduce the sound transmit to room floor wall ceiling surface, hence we hear more of the speaker sound....

But at the same time, it reduce the effectiveness of the loudness of the speaker , the speaker/sub will need more watt to achieve the same loudness as compare to coupling the speaker to a dense surface, the amp will and woofer will need to produce more SPL by itself hence electronic and Mechanical distortion also increased.

Choosing a correct coupling surface is tricking , concrete and wood all have different resonance response hence depend what the sound of the system lacking , sometime correctly choose the coupling surface give better sound than decoupling all.

Just my 2 cents worth 😊

Well said, I agree with you as well. It all depends on the material the equipment is resting on, and what frequency they resonate on.

Coupling it to the structure does provide amplification, at the mercy of the material’s resonant frequency, sometimes can be a good thing

That’s why I’m surprised this topic doesn’t get the necessary attention, although it’s evident on the music / audio thread.
For HT, this same theory applies

At the moment i have 4 speakers standing on the laminated timber, 4x f18 subwoofers on the floor plus 4x seas 10” woofers on the floor( coming to 12 soon, 6 each side)

U can imagine the amount of energy that excites the entire wooden structure at my place , that’s why I’m now ready to explore this subject , I think the benefits apply to HT, and I want to take advantage of this

Thanks again for your views, much appreciated

Offline ronildoq

PS: I run a lab in my work and use this very often for isolating high magnification microscopes from structural vibrations.

The good rule of thumb indication the sorbothane is used optimally is when the sorbothane material is compressed by ~50% with the load on it. Or anything between 30 to 60% compressed. Anything out of this compression, the absorbing effect gets reduced.

Yea I saw, I had a feel of the squishy material, the isolation and anti-vibration properties looks really solid, makes lotsa sense to me, at least

Noted your point on 50% compression for it to be effective. I used the PDF guide to determine that before purchasing the right diameter and durometer

Experiments starting soon, excited with this years adventure in vibration isolation stuff. Completed my acoustic / noise floor journey last year

Taking it one step at a time

Offline ronildoq

Ronildoq, I’m glad someone actually is able to differentiate  decoupling and coupling. But most audiophiles only believe in spikes for everything; from equipment to speakers to subs. There is a lot of science and physics behind this and I’m Glad you are expanding your knowledge on the multiple facets of HT.

At different situations, decoupling vibrations may be more important than coupling strongly to the ground. In my current setup to minimise neighbourly disturbance via vibrations, I have used sorbothane widely to tame vibrations from travelling to the neighbours.

The other thing this sorbothane thing does is it can also solve rattling sound problems, though sometimes I like to use the Blutack.

At one stage, the acoustic panels hanging on wall were rattling, so I use blutack to firmly stick it to wall, very effective as well

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
Well said joamonte, well said. What do you think of iso acoustic? They claim to couple and concurrently decouple!

I thought their product only doing decoupling?

Offline kennyluck2000

• Trade Count: (0)
All these staff out there are good... Definitely is good for certain applications...
It may change the sound or so call 'improve' the sound.
As for me if these staff if I install and it drift away my preference sound I will remove it... ;D

Offline ronildoq

All these staff out there are good... Definitely is good for certain applications...
It may change the sound or so call 'improve' the sound.
As for me if these staff if I install and it drift away my preference sound I will remove it... ;D

Yes yes, I’m now in experimental stage, adjusting and doing some tweaks here and there, the wooden structure does provide for very good tactile transmission for HT. It’s also partly the reason why my monitor audio gx300 speakers sounds warm, Cos of the wooden structure , will see how it goes

Offline ronildoq

I’ve just realised that the footers beneath the Lyngdorf MP50 processor uses sorbothane material, now I see....

No wonder I don’t get that much of a difference in quality when I placed the divini SP-40  under Lyngdorf vs having it under the Oppo 205, under the oppo205, the difference was audible, but not so on the MP50... that’s because the MP50 already has very good footers built in

One of the key benefits observed is that when the isolation is good on the source equipment, it eliminates that smudging on the Low end notes, and the midrange clarity improves, much tighter sounding bass

With the intense bass from subwoofers in the living room, I believe damping will help a great deal

Then I came to realise plixir elite also uses a very solid footer, again some other material combined sorbothane

Hmm, now I can see how the benefits of sorbothane is being used in all applications , so much clearer now

You can read it here...

https://www.bfly-audio.de/en/produkte/produkte-geraetebasis/powerbase.html

I’m also taking a similar approach, multi layer isolation and damping... can’t wait ... lots and lotsa to try and experience myself

Offline ronildoq

Just got some of these from daiso, cork sheets in 3mm thickness, this $2/sheet for 30x45cm, goes in combination with the sorbothane

Yesterday I did one of the test to one member who popped by, I showed him how the laminated timber flooring at my place resonantes

I used my knuckles to knock on the floor, we can hear the clear “hollow” sound, as if the laminated wood, is not fully coupled to the cement beneath it , like there is an air GAP in between, that type of sound

Then I brought him to the room where I showed him the verititan racks, again knocking on the 30mm wood platform, dup dup sound, much more solid wood material

Now that most material have arrived, it’s time to clean and organise the racks and console before the CNY holidays

Cleaning cleaning tidying declutter gong xi gong xi time ...

Offline ronildoq

Again videos, so much easier to understand

Enjoy !

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGNdJ3xI-6w&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jGNdJ3xI-6w&fs=1</a>

Offline ronildoq

Offline ronildoq

Ok some granite plinth ready, here is the bottom of it

It’s a combination of cork material I got from daiso, mixed with sorbothane, superglued beneath the granite plinth . This should provide the “grip” with anti vibration between plinth and laminated wood floor

The granite plinth is now isolated from the laminated wooden floor

Went with the black granite, should provide enough mass, knocking on the granite I get a tup tup sound, not Tok Tok hollow sound. It weighs 12-20kg per slab , depending on size and usage, I will have some under the subs soon

Between the granite top and the speaker base, it will be a mixture of spikes with ball bearing base with thin layer of rubber fitted underneath the pucks  + sorbothane

The spikes anchors directly from speaker and couples to the ball bearing base through hole (see pics below), and should provide enough elastic effect on the horizontal and vertical plane , while the base beneath the pucks, will be isolated with a thin rubber anti slip and sits on granite TOP, something like this

This should provide the stability for the surround floor standing speakers , and proper isolation against the wooden floor

The ball bearing base is quite effective as well

That’s just part one, on the surround floor standers, similar approach to follow with the Left Right speakers MA Gx300

Offline ronildoq

Coupling, Decoupling & Isolation, Anti Vibration, Shock Absorption
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 14:55 »
Ok journey resumes today with some free time, with the wuhan virus spreading around, best stay home, enjoy the movies. In my case, tidy up further !

The above is the original, u can see how one equipment is stacked over another on a console that’s 220cm Long, 50cm depth and 45cm height, the two woods TOP bottom are 5cm solid wood.

First is to tidy up the section on where I rest the DIY seas woofer, now 2x 10”, later will be 6x10”, lotsa weight in height mode

That’s one side of it, beneath the granite is a combination of cork and sorbothane with correct durometer, above the granite are some divini dd-3 footers with hard shock absorber rubber I got from japan home, $2 for 4 pieces

Here is the one white rubber shock absorber I got from japan home , the one in white

Once I’ve tucked away the woofers with the granite slabs beneath it, it’s time for phase two, equipment on with the varititan racks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 14:57 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

Doing this slowly.. so many stuff to re-organise, for all the work, hope it’s worth it

Second side of it completed, now re-arranging the cables and racks

Noticed that the floor is not even !! One side of it doesn’t anchor down to the pucks, but u can move the struts or align the pointers, thank god not too bad. Finally managed to balance it

Then came second problem, some XLR cables not Long enough !! Duh....

Anyway, these are the difficulties we encounter along the way , but nothing hindering me...

Quite excited to listen to the difference once this is complete

Some of the sorbothane combo ball bearing base as below

Already I can feel it’s very solid, tried moving it , but it’s very firm and solid

In the meantime, work in progress readying for the line source woofers to come in (been told 1st week Mar2020), but base isolation is complete for the SEAS 10”

Next would be stacking these up, gotta think of a way how not to introduce unwanted vibrations and provide stability for recoil vibrations , I’ll share that info come Mar2020 on how we deal with the stacked seas 6x 10” @ 2.3meters tall

Offline ronildoq

Now stage 2 , amplifiers !

I’ve gone with the following combination

Rubber ring-sorbothane-ball bearing-anti slip base

That’s how it looks below after it’s compressed , these should now provide very effective anti vibration and isolation. No cork material being used here

These goes directly under the footers

Phewwww, carrying up and down and suddenly I feel so strong & Young ! Don’t need to exercise...

Next week or the week after will be getting some help from some bro, lift up the stacked seatons, isolate then stack again, that should then complete the, coupling, decoupling isolation work

Offline ronildoq

Ok finally found some good use for the cable lifters. I’ve re-purposed it this way

While organising the cables, and due to elevated heights from the footers, it was clear the power plugs connecting into the amplifier sockets needed support. Using some of the cork from daiso, had it cut to fit underneath the cable lifters to provide vibration isolation from the console going into the power cord, like the above. Much better use for the cable lifters. 4 amplifiers,4 free cable lifters= just nice !!

I later DIY’ed some of the left over solid styrofoam and have it done like this for the power conditioner

This helps prevent the heavy power cords from sagging down over time at the socket connectors and at the same time, the cork of 3mm should provide enough isolation and unwanted vibration from the console to the power cords. 1 stone hit 2 birds situation

Yet to finish the work, will share along the way later on my findings

Phewww... no joke with isolation stuff and cable arrangements !

Whole body aching ! Lau koko liao

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal