Author Topic: MATRIX and DISCRETE 6.1(DTS-ES/DD5.1-ES)  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Gaolow

• Trade Count: (0)
MATRIX and DISCRETE 6.1(DTS-ES/DD5.1-ES)
« on: May 13, 2002, 02:30 »
Which is the so call virtual 6.1 and which is the actual 6.1 ???

Any recommand good ES-amp ?

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re:MATRIX and DISCRETE 6.1(DTS-ES/DD5.1-ES)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2002, 09:18 »
Gaolow, I recommend denon 38xx or yamaha RX-Vx200.

Me using yammy 2200, and does its job good! Its worth an audition!

Virtual 6.1? I heard that in yamaha RX-V800..... just a silly term used to simulate a non-existant center rear.

Where did u hear that from anyway? Hey, thanks for the VGA cable! sorry didn't talk to u more..... had an appointment after that.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2002, 09:53 »

Which is the so call virtual 6.1 and which is the actual 6.1 ???

Any recommand good ES-amp ?

Gaolow,

Copied from www.homecinemachoice.com

My opinion is to go Denon 3802 since it covers all the latest formats and accepts a DVD-A/SACD multi channel inouts.

CHeers

DTS ES
DTS ES (Extended Surround) is the DTS version of the new 6.1-channel surround sound format that extends 5.1-channel material with one or two extra speakers located in the back-surround channel. DTS ES comes in two varieties: DTS ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES Discrete 6.1.

DTS ES DISCRETE 6.1
DTS ES Discrete 6.1 is a true 6.1-channel format, as the back-surround audio channel is discretely encoded into the DTS bitstream. This format offers better spatialisation over the surround channels for complete 360° sound localisation and surround pans (ie movement of sound in the surround channels from one side to another). A data flag tells the decoder (usually part of the receiver or preamplifier) that the bitstream contains an extra discrete back-surround channel. For backwards compatibility, the DTS ES Discrete 6.1 back-surround channel is ignored by DTS 5.1 equipment.

DTS ES MATRIX 6.1
DTS ES Matrix is actually a 5.1-channel format which produces the effect of a 6.1-channel sound by extracting a surround-back channel from the left and right surround channels. The back-surround channel is matrixed in a similar fashion as the front-centre channel is matrixed into the front right and left channels in the Dolby Surround Pro-Logic format.

As such, the back-surround channel is not discrete and therefore is not a true 6.1 format. DTS ES Matrix is compatible with Dolby Digital EX equipment, and with the growing number of movies released on DVD with DTS ES encoding.

Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

duckling

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2002, 15:00 »

Gaolow,

Copied from www.homecinemachoice.com

My opinion is to go Denon 3802 since it covers all the latest formats and accepts a DVD-A/SACD multi channel inouts.

CHeers

DTS ES
DTS ES (Extended Surround) is the DTS version of the new 6.1-channel surround sound format that extends 5.1-channel material with one or two extra speakers located in the back-surround channel. DTS ES comes in two varieties: DTS ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES Discrete 6.1.

DTS ES DISCRETE 6.1
DTS ES Discrete 6.1 is a true 6.1-channel format, as the back-surround audio channel is discretely encoded into the DTS bitstream. This format offers better spatialisation over the surround channels for complete 360° sound localisation and surround pans (ie movement of sound in the surround channels from one side to another). A data flag tells the decoder (usually part of the receiver or preamplifier) that the bitstream contains an extra discrete back-surround channel. For backwards compatibility, the DTS ES Discrete 6.1 back-surround channel is ignored by DTS 5.1 equipment.

DTS ES MATRIX 6.1
DTS ES Matrix is actually a 5.1-channel format which produces the effect of a 6.1-channel sound by extracting a surround-back channel from the left and right surround channels. The back-surround channel is matrixed in a similar fashion as the front-centre channel is matrixed into the front right and left channels in the Dolby Surround Pro-Logic format.

As such, the back-surround channel is not discrete and therefore is not a true 6.1 format. DTS ES Matrix is compatible with Dolby Digital EX equipment, and with the growing number of movies released on DVD with DTS ES encoding.

I agree with Dizzy_D that the Denon 3802 is a good buy that support all latest formats.

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2002, 19:57 »
I find that the amp in the Denon 3802 a very weak performer compared to the Yammie's.  When I was hunting for my amp, i tested both the yammie 2200 and the Denon 3802 and was came away disappointed with the Denon's power.  In the end, I settled for the Yammie and has been satisfied with it.  In terms of features, the Yammie matches everything that the Denon is able to throw out.  IMO, if you seriously want to get a Denon, go for the AVC-11SE instead.
HDR Rulez - Panny UB820 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zapitti One Mini | Apple TV 4K
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Benq 5700
Denon 8500 | Denon 7200WA | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 20:12 »
Just a suggestion

Get the Denon 3802 + a channel Rotel 5*120 RMB 1075. Use the Denon amps to drive the surrounds. This setup will punch the daylight of many amps because of the extra juice/turbo.

3802 $ 1600
1075 $ 1250

Hardcore Denon Fan
Dizzy

No offense to Marantz, Onkyo, Yammie lovers.  8)
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline queks

• Global Moderator
  • XtremePlace.Com Forever!
    • XtremePlace
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2002, 21:06 »
No. don't listen to them. Come to yammy side. Take the 1200 or 2200. Very good.

Hardcore yammy fan.
*** XtremePlace ! Don't leave home without it ! ***

Offline sebastiansong

• Global Moderator
  • Black Man's Kryptonite!!! (Undercover Brother)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2002, 23:23 »
Don listen to all of them...

Listen to the performance Yourself and let you ears make the decision... if you genuinely feel it is better it is, Hell, you are paying for the stuff so don be overly swayed by others...

so hurry down to the showroom with your test discs... ;D
Visit my photo gallery

www.pbase.com/sebastiansong

"If we come upon innocence, beauty, caring, joy, or courage, even in lost places, are we not obliged to acknowledge them in defiance of ironists?" Robert Adams

Offline quekky

• Lift your music
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2002, 01:23 »
i think that yammy more features, although i use denon myself :D, and quite a lot of hidden features for remotes ;D

yammy can do 0.5db step, denon only 1db step.
yammy may seems warm to some, denon may seems too "natural" (doesnt change the sound, making it unpleasent)
denon needs a tv to setup, i dun think yammy need
yammy got more effects for the 6.1, denon no additional effect except for bass/treble control

but both got DTS 6.1 discrete

if i had known yammy is cheaper, i'ld have go for it

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2002, 09:23 »
Yammy has got superior advantage when it comes to total system integration.

Quekky has mentioned a few, but thats not all.

Yammy has got a 12V relay for mains automation, in addition to the standard switched mains output. It can also be connected for motorised proj. screen roll-down on amp power on! & vice-versa.

In addition, it has an extended IR remote control codes that no other AV amp can compare. It can do volume presets, AB speaker switching, state recall, 12V relay on/off, full discrete codes....... all via remote control. This would really appeal to remote control freaks and pronto fans. Yamahas of current generation are a different beast than last generation.

DTS 6.1 discrete/matrix, DD matrix, PL2, ....... IMHO, a very powerful beast. I'm driving all my 4ohm speakers with no probs.

But 6.1 & virtual 6.1? Virtual 6.1 is virtually obsolete by now!
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal