Author Topic: Audyssey House Curve Revisited...  (Read 14678 times)

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audyssey House Curve Revisited...
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2019, 23:54 »
Oh... Though I sell them, but I don't use them as my power amp for the subs are already taken care by the inbuilt DSP. Behringer NX6000D. Not as user friendly as the minidsp 2x4HD when comes to configuration (the granularity of volume and control is better than behringer), will be quite a learning curve for first time user if using behringer... Lol

But I guess i still can test, I'll just disable the DSP function on the behringer and use the app to test.

Will feedback my findings once I've tried. :)

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 07:42 »
Oh... Though I sell them, but I don't use them as my power amp for the subs are already taken care by the inbuilt DSP. Behringer NX6000D. Not as user friendly as the minidsp 2x4HD when comes to configuration (the granularity of volume and control is better than behringer), will be quite a learning curve for first time user if using behringer... Lol

But I guess i still can test, I'll just disable the DSP function on the behringer and use the app to test.

Will feedback my findings once I've tried. :)

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Ok noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 16:31 »
Bug Found!
Recently I checked back the thread on Audyssey MultEQ Editor App and a prominent bug that affects the subwoofer distance has been extensively discussed. The issue occurred with dual subwoofers. If you are using a single subwoofer, this calibration bug will not affect final Audyssey results. Since most of us are using 2 subwoofers these days, I thought it becomes an important thing that I should point out. Take note this will ONLY affect the final calibration results if you used the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App to perform the calibration.

Incorrect Subwoofer Distance
The anomaly happens when the nearest of the 2 subwoofers is connected to SW1 (Pre-Out). It gives out an accurate distance reading. But this bug DOES NOT affect the traditional route of calibration - i.e. calibrating using the AVR interface. The bug causes the distance to increase (less delay being introduced when the opposite should be happening). Unless your subwoofers are placed almost equidistant from the MLP, you want to re-do your Audyssey calibration again.

Workaround
The temporary workaround is to ensure the "nearest" subwoofer of the two is connected to SW1 (Pre-Out) instead of SW2 (Pre-Out). I have tested using the traditional route of calibration which uses the AVR interface and affirmed that the distance for the nearest subwoofer is indeed a bit screwed up.

Extra Tip to get a better subwoofer response
While we are aware of this subwoofer distance bug, it is by no means unusable. Now that we know there is a workaround, we can quickly remedy the situation using the workaround I've described. Calibration using the App is preferred as it unlocks more features as I've previously covered in this thread. Back to the topic of getting a better subwoofer FR...After calibration, check to see that both your subwoofer trim levels are always in the negative range. This provides greater headroom for the Audyssey house curve to be optimized. Anywhere between -3.5 and -1.0 will be good. If you have a positive trim value, try to increase physical gain knob on the subwoofers to compensate.

Hope it helps for those using this Audssey App to create custom house curve.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Audyssey House Curve Revisited...
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 06:46 »
I’m surprised to find that my tutorial has had caught the attention of AVSForum members there.

MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=47413&share_tid=2806249&share_pid=59125874&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eavsforum%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D59125874&share_type=t&link_source=app

Glad to know that our little hobbyist community is able to contribute to the AV community in general.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:55 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 08:44 »
Made some changes to the tutorial on the part that touches on the “flat” or “reference” curve type. Pls revisit the post on the changes made.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 23:23 »
So good. I'll try this one day. So cost effective to have a bass house curve.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 07:21 »
I must say it is very good. I simply love it and enjoy it!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 07:40 »
I must say it is very good. I simply love it and enjoy it!

Oh you’ve tried it? Can to share your experience?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40 »
Bass is more define and clean. Dialogue is also much clearer. Couldn't hear any boomy bass. Now I can listen at 20-25db or higher whereas last time, I can only listen to max 38db. I just feel fatigued and I can feel the sound piercing my ears . Now I can hear the defined waves of bass from the space shuttle taking off for example. I have set the mains, center and sub at 5db gain, dynamic volume at light with sub level an equivalent of 5db gain. Now is definitely much much better than having the Dynamic EQ turned on.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 14:07 »
are there any bros who are/were using a DSP e.g. MiniDSP 2x4HD, or Antimode DC, and have used tried this Audyssey and Rat app combi to compare? Interested to hear your opinions before trying.

Nowadays due to young kids at home, really not much time to test what I love to do in HT compared to last time. :| So if can hear opinions first before testing, it will be great

Offline rayleh

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 14:16 »
I have miniDsp to tune / align my dual subs. House curve is still implemented through Audyessy Editor App.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 15:36 »
are there any bros who are/were using a DSP e.g. MiniDSP 2x4HD, or Antimode DC, and have used tried this Audyssey and Rat app combi to compare? Interested to hear your opinions before trying.

Nowadays due to young kids at home, really not much time to test what I love to do in HT compared to last time. :| So if can hear opinions first before testing, it will be great

Actually I’m tying to get my hands on a second hand miniDSP to try it out for myself to see if the Audyssey App can deliver pretty much the same results as a miniDSP. If it ever happen, I will definitely provide my 2 cents worth in comparing the 2 methods. But I’ll not go out to buy a new miniDSP for the sake of this comparison as it makes no sense for me since I have no problem with standing wave in the modal frequency region that the Audyssey cannot take care.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 15:37 »
Bass is more define and clean. Dialogue is also much clearer. Couldn't hear any boomy bass. Now I can listen at 20-25db or higher whereas last time, I can only listen to max 38db. I just feel fatigued and I can feel the sound piercing my ears . Now I can hear the defined waves of bass from the space shuttle taking off for example. I have set the mains, center and sub at 5db gain, dynamic volume at light with sub level an equivalent of 5db gain. Now is definitely much much better than having the Dynamic EQ turned on.

Glad to hear another success story. Hopefully we can look at Audyssey in a different light now.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 15:39 »
I have miniDsp to tune / align my dual subs. House curve is still implemented through Audyessy Editor App.

So that is to say the Audyssey app with house curve DOES compliment with miniDSP in your case? If so, that’s great news.

Offline rayleh

Audyssey House Curve Revisited...
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 15:40 »
Actually I’m tying to get my hands on a second hand miniDSP to try it out for myself to see if the Audyssey App can deliver pretty much the same results as a miniDSP. If it ever happen, I will definitely provide my 2 cents worth in comparing the 2 methods. But I’ll not go out to buy a new miniDSP for the sake of this comparison as it makes no sense for me since I have no problem with standing wave in the modal frequency region that the Audyssey cannot take care.

The thing if miniDsp 2x4 HD cannot apply house curve to mains, center and subs at the same time or did I miss out anything? So I have used the Editor App to apply house curve for mains, center and subs.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 15:43 by rayleh »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal