Author Topic: Audyssey House Curve Revisited...  (Read 14674 times)

Offline sijusid

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audyssey House Curve Revisited...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 10:06 »
I may consider to open up a demo session next Sat (28 Dec 19) to showcase the difference between Audyssey with DEQ set to 'On' but no house curve (since DEQ is in itself a house curve) versus Audyssey with DEQ turned 'off' but utilize a custom house curve. Of course, for those who want to learn to add a custom house curve but don't know what the heck am I talking about in those steps, I will run through a hands on session with you as well.

See if there is any interest here...

If the session is arranged, if you dont mind, i would like to come and attend this session.

Thank you very much.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Audyssey House Curve Revisited...
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 11:33 »
Thanks once again for your write-up.

The windows program is quite good and easy for tweaking, but unfortunately, it didn't worked for me. After uploading the tweaked file to my avr through app, there was no sound coming through any of the speaker. Couldn't figure out the reason.

Personally, i always used deq before, but only like it for bass but didn't liked it the way it  boosts high frequencies (more shrill sound). Also the boost in surround channel was a bit annoying for me.

But now, without deq and curve tweaks, bass is more tight and highs are controlled.

I know what is the problem with no sound AFTER you upload the .ady file to your AVR. There is a workaround.l and you’ll be surprised how easy it is.

As for the DEQ engaged and causing the HF region to be “bright”. You will need to play with the max Frequency Range where you want the EQ to be applied. Good sounding speakers requires little to no EQ filters to be applied anywhere from 500Hz and above. However, if due to poor placement location or the lack of acoustic treatments or perhaps the room that your speaker placements isn’t ideal causing a myriad of room mode issues, then EQ all the way to say 5KHz will help to make the sound tighter and play with more finesse. Different type of speaker driver design like MTM or coaxial etc will produce different results based in “your” room mode. What sounds good in your setting probably sound bad for me. Hence, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts that matters and not how much money you spent on your AV gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 11:34 »
If the session is arranged, if you dont mind, i would like to come and attend this session.

Thank you very much.

I will keep you posted if it materialise.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 11:44 »
For those on the fence to try out perhaps due to bad past experience which did not work, I would encourage you to try again. BTW, if you do this custom house curve thing say 6 months ago. Do take note that there was a bug where the 20Hz (modal region) will have a dip of 3db registered which weakens the “tactile” impact. This has been fixed in the last few updates. FWIW the updates for the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App itself has had undergone 2 rounds of software updates and the AVR (X8500H) has had undergone a few updates as well over the course of 6 mths.

Like everyone else, I’ve tried the custom curve editor to boost the bass but the results did not impress me at all. But now, it is a whole different story. You’ve nothing to lose for trying again, especially if you have already paid for the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App.

For those who have a UMiK 1 calibrated mic, I urged you to download the REW to do some measurements to get good placement for your subwoofers and speakers before doing your Audyssey 6-8 pt calibrations. Garbage-in, Garbage-out. The end result of a good custom house curve will still rely on good data sets derived from Audyssey calibration result to begin with. So if you have less than ideal results after Audyssey calibration, do consider optimising it first and then come back to this portion to introduce a custom house curve through the use of the App and Ratbuddysset utility.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:49 by desray »

Offline sijusid

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 12:34 »
I know what is the problem with no sound AFTER you upload the .ady file to your AVR. There is a workaround.l and you’ll be surprised how easy it is.

As for the DEQ engaged and causing the HF region to be “bright”. You will need to play with the max Frequency Range where you want the EQ to be applied. Good sounding speakers requires little to no EQ filters to be applied anywhere from 500Hz and above. However, if due to poor placement location or the lack of acoustic treatments or perhaps the room that your speaker placements isn’t ideal causing a myriad of room mode issues, then EQ all the way to say 5KHz will help to make the sound tighter and play with more finesse. Different type of speaker driver design like MTM or coaxial etc will produce different results based in “your” room mode. What sounds good in your setting probably sound bad for me. Hence, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts that matters and not how much money you spent on your AV gears.

May i know, what is the workaround.

Totally agree with you. Since i stay at a rented place, there is not much i can do for room treatment, so trying to make most of the present situation.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 12:38 »
May i know, what is the workaround.

Totally agree with you. Since i stay at a rented place, there is not much i can do for room treatment, so trying to make most of the present situation.

The workaround is NOT TO CLICK SAVE for every session. Instead just click SAVE AS for every variation you’ve created and then upload it to the Google Drive or equivalent. Always worked on the “base calibration file”.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 08:14 »
Same situation too. Did manual editing of the house curve on the app and turned off DEQ, quite impressive I must say. Now to try the workaround. Thanks again Desray.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 08:21 »
Awesome write up and effort desray! I've not been using the app due to Android bug, but this definitely gives me the chance to try again. Since I'm not a DEQ users, it'll be interesting to see how much further I can improve!

Thanks once again for this tutorial. I'll be interested to join if you ever conduct a lesson.

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline sijusid

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 09:13 »
The workaround is NOT TO CLICK SAVE for every session. Instead just click SAVE AS for every variation you’ve created and then upload it to the Google Drive or equivalent. Always worked on the “base calibration file”.

Hi desray,

The workaround didn't worked out for me. Then i noticed that there is no sound only in reference setting. If i change it to flat or off, sound would be there.

I had also noticed that, whenever i opened the ady file in windows program, by default both reference and flat would not be selected, and i used to select reference as per your write up. This time i left it as it is (both reference and flat unchecked) and guess what, it worked this time.
I was able to get sound from all settings.
Then was able to do many trials and then stick to one i liked.

Thanks once again to you.

Now i am out of deq. Never going back to DEQ again.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07 »
One question; do I need to do anything for surround and front height since the speakers roll-off much earlier?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 12:17 »
Hi desray,

The workaround didn't worked out for me. Then i noticed that there is no sound only in reference setting. If i change it to flat or off, sound would be there.

I had also noticed that, whenever i opened the ady file in windows program, by default both reference and flat would not be selected, and i used to select reference as per your write up. This time i left it as it is (both reference and flat unchecked) and guess what, it worked this time.
I was able to get sound from all settings.

Then was able to do many trials and then stick to one i liked.

Thanks once again to you.

Now i am out of deq. Never going back to DEQ again.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the Ratbuddyssey is buggy hence pls do stick to what works best for you. In fact, you’ve just helped others by surfacing this “bug” and a new workaround.

I’m glad you like the results. Cheers.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:27 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2019, 12:25 »
One question; do I need to do anything for surround and front height since the speakers roll-off much earlier?

No need. The point of doing it for the Mains is because of 2 channel listening (when engaging Stereo, Pure Direct). The rest of the speakers don’t require boosting simply because we don’t actually expect surrounds and heights to reproduce deep bass (crossovers can sometimes be as high as 100hz or higher). As for the centre channel, it depends since centre speaker placement is usually closer to the wall which reinforces bass. Look at the final target curve and decide for yourself whether there is a need to boost a few dB in the modal region to get a more uniform bass reproduction when the subwoofers have been boosted.

Ultimately, it will involve some trial and error since it very much depends on your room mode and how capable is/are your subwoofer(s) in playing deep bass. What works for me does not necessarily work for you. Some only boosted by 2db while others need to boost as high as 6db to get that ULF.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:28 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2019, 12:30 »
Awesome write up and effort desray! I've not been using the app due to Android bug, but this definitely gives me the chance to try again. Since I'm not a DEQ users, it'll be interesting to see how much further I can improve!

Thanks once again for this tutorial. I'll be interested to join if you ever conduct a lesson.

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

I would really love to hear your comments on how you find the results compared to the use of miniDSP in constructing the custom house curve.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2019, 12:31 »
Thanks. I will try out later.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 14:07 »
I would really love to hear your comments on how you find the results compared to the use of miniDSP in constructing the custom house curve.

Ya me too. Plus this is such low cost solution! Power.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal