Author Topic: No sound from rear surround speakers while playing dolby atmos disc  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
The Marantz manual is very confusing as it stated that 7.1 bi-amp is possible with all 9 speakers but did not mentioned the build-in amp is not sufficient to power all 9 channels.

In the manual

page 55

"o 9.1-channel playback
This system, which is based on a 5.1-channel system, plays back up to 9.1-channels at the same time.
You can connect speakers for up to 11-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 10 or more channels, the output speakers
automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode."

For the biamp section... it is restricted to 7.1 (page 70)

"o 7.1-channel playback (bi-amp connection of front speakers)
This system plays back 7.1-channels. You can use the bi-amp connection for front speakers. Bi-amp connection is a method to connect separate
amplifiers to the tweeter terminal and woofer terminal of a speaker that supports bi-amplification. This connection enables back EMF (power returned
without being output) from the woofer to flow into the tweeter without affecting the sound quality, producing a higher sound quality.
You can connect speakers for up to 9-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 8 or more channels, the output speakers
automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode."

so basically it will mute the extra channels - which is what you experienced.

I have an old AVR - Yamaha RX-V2090 which I intend to use it as an external amp to power the main speakers.
I going to experiment with this old AVR with bi-amp and without bi-amp.

Actually that's probably a better amp than in the new AVRs. I'd use it to biamp your front speakers.. maybe even the centre.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
My bi-amp is not powering the build-in tweeter of my tower speakers.
I have a very big tweeter place on top of my tower speakers.
It sounded great when listening to music that is why I bi-amp.
I will try to use my old AVR and experiment it.

Thanks for all the advise.
I see...

For any 9.1 channels, it is always tricky when it comes to connection. In the past, I'm using Denon X7200WA which is also a 9.2 channels. I don't do any bi-amping but I do need an extra 2 channels to power up my extra pair of Dolby Atmos speakers if i wish to implement 7.2.4 which is 11.2 channels. With bi-amping, the AVR will switch automatically the speaker layout depending on how you connect the speakers to the AVR.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
I have removed the bi-amp and setup as 9.1 and it work. All speakers are active during Dolby Atmos playback. Front tower speakers sounded less dynamics compare to previous setup. Next chapter, I will use my old amp to power my front speakers.
Thanks for all the advise

Offline chaozhoi

I have removed the bi-amp and setup as 9.1 and it work. All speakers are active during Dolby Atmos playback. Front tower speakers sounded less dynamics compare to previous setup. Next chapter, I will use my old amp to power my front speakers.
Thanks for all the advise
Congrats and enjoy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal