Author Topic: MSRP- is it obsolete in this digital age?  (Read 595 times)

Offline macrotrust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
MSRP- is it obsolete in this digital age?
« on: January 07, 2020, 18:10 »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if i am still living in the dinosaur or digital age.  Is something wrong with me?

Today went to High end audio shop  to enquire a branded phono amp- the sale man bring out his retail list and read straight out US$xxxxx (5 digit) now the exchange rate is 1.349 and now therefore the price is S$14,xxx.

So i told him- WTF wasting my time coming to your shop just read out to me the MSRP x SGD rate. IS that all you can do for me? Pay you full cash u still give me this kind of pricing rate.

The sale man said u can use credit card too- no different.

I told him- your sale price is a good target for me to use as bench mark to source from other part of the world. The shop has many "old and regular customer" to survive - in short, no room  for negotiation - newbie to try your luck.
Just wondering why hiring sale man- if just to reproduce list price x SGD rate. Am i being paranoid?  What is the different buying from you and other part of the world (better pricing)?

What is your thought Guys?

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
Re: MSRP- is it obsolete in this digital age?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 19:22 »
You would still need a sales man to showcase and demo the product, and answer any queries you have. Buying from a local dealer presumably should mean local warranty and support, assurance that the product hasn't been tampered with, and no personal risk on shipping. Personally I haven't bought any hifi gear without an audition and I've had so much help when I run into issues, so I do think it's worthwhile to support local.

I agree if you just wanted to shop for the lowest price, then online is always an option.

I can imagine that each shop gives their sales person different levels of discretion, so just take it easy and move on if your expectations are not met. Find help, escalate or move on. :) This isn't unique to hifi.

Offline macrotrust

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:13 »
Interesting view from Bro Quest, I did not know it is a fully baked in price to show case and demo- what a waste should ask the sale man to work hard for his "money". Like some Listen and audition n buy else where.

You raise an interesting point-local warranty and support.- This is assuming no change of distribution ship from one retail to another. Also the company will be in business many yrs down the road. Brick and mortar shop in on the decline globally especially Audio.  Instead manufacturers is now taking directorship from many Business to Consumer route.

The funny thing quoting a US pricing in our local context- and yet not giving a 30 day free trial or home trial is contrary to US practice. Why double standard? Even a German dealer is willing to give a 30 days trial period with return and some admin fee for such trial.

I am not here to bash any local retailer- but i am genuine buyer- even a pre-owned item- give a firm price to them as cannot handle- say no lah **- n give story- customer not interested to hear- just give a counter offer or inform customer let me come back later. KNN  no class & customer service selling branded item.

** no given by sale man- instead the boss'son.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:17 by macrotrust »

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 13:16 »
Salesman just gave you a direct conversion from usd$ to sgd$ or was there a mark-up (freight cost/distributor margin/rental & staff costs) that made you unhappy?

Or are you unhappy because no demo?
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 13:30 »
If I read in between the lines, it seems that you are unhappy because you were not offered a discount ? Pardon me though, if I am wrong.

Two things to point out. He converted from USD to SGD rate. Many dealers will factor in GST, and a mark-up to cover their shipping costs and extra margin. Secondly, he offered you the same price for credit card which is a bonus to you as he has to pay the merchant fees while you get to earn the points.

If he refused to do a demo for you, I think that is unacceptable. If he refused to give you a home-loan, this depends on the dealer. Some will not do home-loans except for regular customers.

If you are just going for the lowest price and don’t mind buying from overseas, it’s your prerogative. It is also the prerogative of the local dealer to refuse to service your set if anything goes wrong, or to charge you a premium on service because it is not a local set.

I know that many don’t see it this way, but building a relationship with a dealer is important. I understand that very little or no discount may be granted to me in a new relationship. But over the years, the discount improves with repeat purchases and referrals.
Less is more !

Offline macrotrust

• Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 18:18 »
This shop is not new to me. Bought from them before. It just that as Do I need to do this just to make the dealer happy. Ripped me as how much as u want only then i get "discount".

If this is business model-  better stick to Turf club car dealer at least i know where it is coming from.

but building a relationship with a dealer is important. I understand that very little or no discount may be granted to me in a new relationship. But over the years, the discount improves with repeat purchases and referrals.

I offer full cash settlement - no discount or incentive to close any deal. In all my dealing with so many local dealers- ALL welcome- WIN WIN for all parties.

Discount or not- at least do your job- show and demo to initiate buying interest or hear it first and maybe customer will reclined and bite the price.

Anyway pre-owned product knowledge also lousy- previous model mentioned only 5 yrs- but in actual fact it is 2011 launch almost 9-10 yrs. of course dont wan to argue with them. People walk in- u think look see- but with specific objective- not like brownsing vinyl or cd.