Author Topic: Audyssey Dynamic EQ, should I enable or disable it?!  (Read 15172 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Audyssey Dynamic EQ, should I enable or disable it?!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 18:21 »
I'm a big fan of DEQ, it gets the bass boost and balance right for most listening volumes.

Here's a line level measurement of what DEQ does. The boost varies with reference volume, and goes to zero boost at Reference. Above reference cutting the bass is questionable, but since we don't use that practically, it is somewhat moot imo. It's audyssey's interpretation and implementation of the fletcher munson curves, and for the most part quite effective.

The boominess is because the boost starts relatively high in frequency, from 300hz downwards. At - 30 volume, about 15db low shelf , - 20db still close to 9db shelf .
In a relatively bare room, the upper bass and low mid energy can be hard to tame in the 100-200hz range with DEQ. I know Bryan likes a hard knee in the bass curve starting below 100hz, so effectively no boost above 100hz.

I think for the bass lovers this spl dependant boost feels counter intuitive.. When you are listening at - 20 liking the bass, crank it up to - 10 or even - 5 and suddenly all the bass boost is almost gone.. What bass lovers prefer is probably the - 30 boost shelf for the entire volume range . It's all about preference, no right or wrong at the end of the day.

I'm really surprised by the difference in boost or lack of boost in the surround channels vs LCR. The LCR has a pronounced V shape curve from DEQ, while the surrounds do not. Effectively the surrounds have a hotter midrange level. I've seen it in measurements when I check all channels post audyssey and was puzzled for a long time.. Surprisingly, despite seeing measurements, I never actually noticed the audibility of the surrounds being louder than LCR due to DEQ, until Pete mentioned it in his post. Haha.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Not just about boosting level, that can be set easily with a house curve to match the audyssey DEQ target. This measurement above doesn’t tell u how the algorithm applies filters in “real time”. The variation in filters is what causes the inconsistencies, and subsequently messes things up in the time domain.

Exactly why jag says it messes his bass. Same finding

many will find that clarity is lacking or sounds muddied, it was pretty clear, myself, Pete and WIM all 3 of us could tell instantly at Petetherock place. That’s the clear sign of timing issues. This part is not shown in the measurement above, but audible because the impulse of all woofers + subs are no longer hitting and stopping at the same time. That’s my observations with DEQ

But if we don’t have any tools to measure, or outboard EQ , or any means to go with house curve (old avrs) then DEQ is still better than non DEQ

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 18:38 »
Not just about boosting level, that can be set easily with a house curve to match the audyssey DEQ target. This measurement above doesn’t tell u how the algorithm applies filters in “real time”. The variation in filters is what causes the inconsistencies, and subsequently messes things up in the time domain.

Exactly why jag says it messes his bass. Same finding

many will find that clarity is lacking or sounds muddied, it was pretty clear, myself, Pete and WIM all 3 of us could tell instantly at Petetherock place. That’s the clear sign of timing issues. This part is not shown in the measurement above, but audible because the impulse of all woofers + subs are no longer hitting and stopping at the same time. That’s my observations with DEQ

But if we don’t have any tools to measure, or outboard EQ , or any means to go with house curve (old avrs) then DEQ is still better than non DEQ

Hmm, a low shelf implemented using IIR filter will have some phase rotation. Regardless if applied by audyssey DEQ or house curve in antimode or minidsp. It's almost impossible to apply FIR filters for flat phase in the low frequency due to the large number of processing power or 'taps' required?

About matching the target curve, the main difference is that DEQ and fletcher munson curves have different boost relative to the reference 0dB mastering level. Tapering off to no boost at Reference.

While a static room curve will apply the same boost regardless of volume, including at Reference. Which may be excessive bass boost, IE just right for bass lovers.

I have tried implementing external boost curve without DEQ on 2 occasions now. I did not notice any bass timing issues. Maybe my subs too rojak cannot tell. It was more difficult to get the upper bass and lower mids balance as that had to be done separately on the mains, not the sub EQ. It was also tricky to get a balance that works for different listening levels. It was either not enough bass, or too much bass. Both times I gave up.

Actually, is Audyssey the only EQ suite with a DEQ implementation? I was using jriver for a while, and it also had the ability to set a DEQ boost curve relative to a reference volume. Does any of the other systems, ypao, accuEq, Dirac, trinnov, lyngdorf etc implement any form of DEQ?

End of the day, it's another variable to tweak to help users get a sound balance that suits their ears. Some like one way while others prefer the other.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 18:53 by wechnivag »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 19:28 »
So far room perfect, accueq and Dirac live don’t use dynamic EQ. The word dynamic suggests real time changes, vs static EQ.

Yes aware that DEQ is adjusting for tonal balance, as mentioned above. But nothing is mentioned on what happens in the time domain. If one listens at -20db mv, u can easily set a target curve to match the DEQ curve. Unless there is a tendency to frequently grab the remote and play at different gain levels , then DEQ is a better option

Anyway, just personal preference and experience. No harm going DEQ as Long as one is happy with the bass . But do listen carefully with DEQ on, then use the same volumes, set a similar house curve and compare again,  they do make a difference

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 19:34 »

So far room perfect, accueq and Dirac live don’t use dynamic EQ. The word dynamic suggests real time changes, vs static EQ.

Yes aware that DEQ is adjusting for tonal balance, as mentioned above. But nothing is mentioned on what happens in the time domain. If one listens at -20db mv, u can easily set a target curve to match the DEQ curve. Unless there is a tendency to frequently grab the remote and play at different gain levels , then DEQ is a better option

Anyway, just personal preference and experience. No harm going DEQ as Long as one is happy with the bass . But do listen carefully with DEQ on, then use the same volumes, set a similar house curve and compare again,  they do make a difference

Ya in think the most important point here is personal preference and experience, it can simply change as time goes by, or by simply visiting other Bros place lol.

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline wcseow

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 13:32 »
My humble contribution.

Before : Audyssey Off
Now : DEQ on, DVol off.

Me : Surrounds louder, less bass. Though I prefer w/o Audyssey (more bass and rumble), I can accept current setup. It is actually sounds closer to my solo den setup where the room is small and aurrounds more distinct. More importantly, rest of my family like it with Audyssey/DEQ On.

Rest of Family : Love DEQ On.

Offline Duaashish

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 20:19 »
DEQ ON: absolutely won't have it any other way. Sounds fuller; stage perception is much bigger. For those who find the bass to be boomy, please choose the right crossover for your Sub and also if possible do a REW sweep to measure your FR. Personally, with DEQ ON the whole set up comes alive.

Dynamic Volume: I have always had it as light. For those who think that turning it OFF will give you uncompressed range; please check the FR comparing Light vs OFF. In my FR curve Dynamic Volume ON with 'light' gave me a good 10db bump across the low frequency range versus dynamic vol OFF. Also, the full range perception is better with dynamic vol at light.

If your set up sounds boomy with above both ON, it needs room correction. Don't miss out on the benefits it brings.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 23:50 »
Deq & dyn vol off for me. :)

Very similar reasons as Jag, ronil, & win.

When I first went into HT,  I used to have deq ON. I found it to have better bass, dynamics & louder surrounds. Dvol was usually set to LOW to get better dialogue. But, this was when I haven't gone into deeper bass calibration & I did not use any DSP for bass management.

But.... one BIG BIG challenge i found is - the bass balance was super hard to tame/ control /maintain across different main volumes when either/both was on. I always asked myself "why my bass balance is so different across different volumes? Sometimes boomy, sometimes weak, sometimes just nice."

After learning rew, I observed the effect of deq and dvol on the FR across different listening vols. After that, I was convinced to turn both off.

The main factor that helped me live w/o deq is having a DSP for bass management. Dsp helped to be my "deq" replacement as I could customise the bass balance & experience to my detailed liking (house curve). With that, the bass balance I prefer (between low bass and midbass) could be maintained across different listening vols.

Another thing that helped me to move away from deq is - learning to manually compensate/calibrate the levels of surrounds and Atmos channels successfully after deq is turned off.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:51 by sevenz »

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 00:39 »
DEQ will change the bass boost differently at different master volume. I found that I could never get the bass to sound balanced if I calibrated at Ref-15dB but I listened at Ref-25dB.

The DEQ bass boost at 25 is alot more than at -15. So bass at -25MV sounds heavy and bloated than -15MV.

After listening extensively with DEQ ON and OFF for about 6 months, I turned it off for good because DEQ bass sounded balanced for daytime listening, but at night it got too heavy.

Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline Bbos37

• Snr Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 13:09 »
If you are in a properly treated room and properly calibrated system turning off producers favourable result at most of the volume level,which will give actual dynamic from the original source material.
In any any other situation which is generally the only situations available to most enthusiasts engaging the Dynamic Eq is best possible way to enjoy what ever you are watching.
Look it’s already availability on your AVR and there is a reason for it.
There is no point arguing about a system which is standard on an AVR.
It’s up to to you ON or OFF.
Your individual joy from listening is what that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline whitesox

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 19:18 »
If you are in a properly treated room and properly calibrated system turning off producers favourable result at most of the volume level,which will give actual dynamic from the original source material.
In any any other situation which is generally the only situations available to most enthusiasts engaging the Dynamic Eq is best possible way to enjoy what ever you are watching.
Look it’s already availability on your AVR and there is a reason for it.
There is no point arguing about a system which is standard on an AVR.
It’s up to to you ON or OFF.
Your individual joy from listening is what that counts.

We are not arguing bro.. no one is right or wrong..
This thread was created for us to share our setting and what reason is. That's it..

So may I know your settings and your reason ?
 :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 20:52 by whitesox »

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 20:38 »
I agree to whatever floats your boat. No one should tell you how to enjoy your hobby. Instead, ask others how they enjoy their setup.

Always keep an open mind and be receptive trying new ideas before deciding it’s worth adopting or dropping.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 21:02 by Jag »
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline Bbos37

• Snr Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 21:01 »
We are not arguing bro.. no one is right or wrong..
This thread was created for us to share our setting and what reason is. That's it..

So may I know your settings and your reason ?
 :)
Hem my reason and my setting, yes I should work on that.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 21:14 »
Yup.. not right or wrong... What more interesting will be "what's next for me, how he do it?" after you visit another bro's home.

Like how he do it without DEQ on... Or, how he do it with DEQ on... What device is being used to take control of the sound etc etc

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline rayleh

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 21:19 »
I agreed with Win and Jag. I went for house audit for the first time and now I have a baseline to work on. Learnt a lot and also get to know new friends. Keeping an open mind is very important. I have turned off DEQ and manually increased the gain on the DSP. It seems easier to control the bass. Will listen for a while before making a decision.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 08:24 »
DEQ will change the bass boost differently at different master volume. I found that I could never get the bass to sound balanced if I calibrated at Ref-15dB but I listened at Ref-25dB.

The DEQ bass boost at 25 is alot more than at -15. So bass at -25MV sounds heavy and bloated than -15MV.

After listening extensively with DEQ ON and OFF for about 6 months, I turned it off for good because DEQ bass sounded balanced for daytime listening, but at night it got too heavy.

This is what I actually experienced the last time (very long ago) I visited your place but I did not realise your preferred listening level is at -25db below reference.

A very good observation for the difference in bass boost between -25db and -10db MV below reference level.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal