Author Topic: Audyssey Dynamic EQ, should I enable or disable it?!  (Read 11386 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Audyssey Dynamic EQ, should I enable or disable it?!
« on: November 10, 2019, 14:15 »
For Denon/Marantz users, I want to see how many members here are disabling this DEQ feature because of muddy bloated bass, which happened to be the "Number 1" issue that I've often heard from users, the second one being "louder surround channel gains". Or perhaps there is other reason that you decide disable it? Do elaborate...This is for my own research based on some of member's feedbacks so that I can better understand what goes wrong. For me, I am an advocator of DEQ and I stand firm that DEQ is actually NOT the culprit here but the placement of your speakers and subwoofers in relation to your MLP.

Nevertheless, I will love to hear your points of view...

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Audyssey Dynamic EQ, should I enable or disable it?!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 14:28 »
Off
For the two reasons you mentioned
- big bass, but it's a bit more muddy
- louder surrounds and its a bit in your head

I do use Dyn Volume thought at "light"
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Online whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 15:56 »
DEQ: ON
For the 3 reasons,
- I don't blast my setup (-21 loud enough) so enable DEQ, sounds cleaner and I feel more 'juice'
- Bass is louder (feel more power, more punchy) that's why I added only +2db after XT32 gave me a magic number.
      Bass tight (no boomy or echo) partly because of AM and fine-tuning (used REW).
- Louder surrounds, I love it..., especially for atmos surround ceiling speaker.
      In fact, my side and rear surr spks position (both same level) are 60cm above ears at MLP coz I don't like the same level as ear level (I did my homework alrd)

I don't use Dyn Volume: OFF

;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 19:36 by whitesox »

Offline honyewl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 17:41 »
DEQ on.
- Ref 0 dB for movie
- Ref 10 dB for music

Subjectively just sound better (‘fuller’).

So far only disc where I needed to change to Ref 10dB from movie mode of Ref 0dB was Nirvana MTV unplugged DVD. Bass got a bit too heavy. 

Dyn Volume off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 17:51 »
DEQ on.
Cleaner sound.

Dyn vol on at light usually, unless no one at home and I can blast loud.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 19:50 »
Dynamic EQ On - more weight and love my surrounds to be louder.

Dynamic Volume Light - listens to -40db or lower. Family members and helper are usually around. Also, worry about disturbing the neighbors.

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 22:44 »
DEQ Off.

If you turn on DEQ, but you do not consciously know what to set for Reference Level, your Audyssey is probably are not optimally setup.

I find DEQ to mess with bass in a way that I personally don’t like.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 22:46 »
Had DEQ on previously, after coming across this thread and did some read up, I turned off DEQ and watched Hobbs and Shaw today. Half way through I had to increase levels of all my 8 surround speakers by 1.5dB. DEQ will stay off from now onwards, overall sound is cleaner and bass is less boomy. Surround is much softer but will continue experimenting with increasing the levels until satisfactory.

Dynamic Volume always off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:06 »
Dynamic EQ off, if I go with house curve. Dynamic EQ on, if no house curve.

Basically DEQ applies about 10db boost down Low frequencies, so one will not need to adjust the subs levels as much post EQ

The main reason I find dynamic EQ doesn’t sound as clean is because it applies EQ filters boosting certain frequencies as the movies are played back. The moment we apply a filter, this messes things up in the time domain. (Adding filters changes phase, the result is a phase lead or delay in real time with DEQ on) . Increasing the gain by 10db is not the same as adding boosting EQ filters by DEQ. So in short, the programme doesn’t account for energy levels while DEQ, but works at providing a good tonal balance, but in the process, messes things up in the time domain.

If one goes with a house curve approach above, u can be assured no filters are being added in real time. This gives the assurances that whatever that is in use pre-eq, remains. Once u have this assurances, it’s easier to work with.

I’ll share on another thread why I took this approach at Petetherock place, and it provided a much cleaner sound. There are pros and cons to the approach

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 14:42 »
I'm a big fan of DEQ, it gets the bass boost and balance right for most listening volumes.

Here's a line level measurement of what DEQ does. The boost varies with reference volume, and goes to zero boost at Reference. Above reference cutting the bass is questionable, but since we don't use that practically, it is somewhat moot imo. It's audyssey's interpretation and implementation of the fletcher munson curves, and for the most part quite effective.

The boominess is because the boost starts relatively high in frequency, from 300hz downwards. At - 30 volume, about 15db low shelf , - 20db still close to 9db shelf .
In a relatively bare room, the upper bass and low mid energy can be hard to tame in the 100-200hz range with DEQ. I know Bryan likes a hard knee in the bass curve starting below 100hz, so effectively no boost above 100hz.

I think for the bass lovers this spl dependant boost feels counter intuitive.. When you are listening at - 20 liking the bass, crank it up to - 10 or even - 5 and suddenly all the bass boost is almost gone.. What bass lovers prefer is probably the - 30 boost shelf for the entire volume range . It's all about preference, no right or wrong at the end of the day.

I'm really surprised by the difference in boost or lack of boost in the surround channels vs LCR. The LCR has a pronounced V shape curve from DEQ, while the surrounds do not. Effectively the surrounds have a hotter midrange level. I've seen it in measurements when I check all channels post audyssey and was puzzled for a long time.. Surprisingly, despite seeing measurements, I never actually noticed the audibility of the surrounds being louder than LCR due to DEQ, until Pete mentioned it in his post. Haha.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline LTTan

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 14:49 »
When I was using the Velodyne Spl800 8" - ON for the extra slam.
After having switched to SVS SB 2000 12" - OFF. Too noisy when ON as my room size is small.

Offline LWCM

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 17:47 »
How did you guys managed to watch movie at 0Db or -10db? I need to crank my 4500H to 60db. Am I missing something?

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 17:54 »
How did you guys managed to watch movie at 0Db or -10db? I need to crank my 4500H to 60db. Am I missing something?
I think they meant dynamic eq reference setting at 0db

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 17:55 »
DEQ off ever since kennyluck suggested to me to try. Overall sounded better, cleaner, more in control, even when at -25db, still able to experience subtle rumble.

With DEQ on, it messes up freq, harder to control and not as clean. Can really hear it messes up a lot of Low freq.

Personal opinion, I used to like it on, but not as of current preference :)

Offline LWCM

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 17:56 »
I think they meant dynamic eq reference setting at 0db

Oh thanks. Got me worried there for a moment  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal