Author Topic: Am I doing the right thing?  (Read 298 times)

Offline wsdavidcheah

• Trade Count: (0)
Am I doing the right thing?
« on: November 07, 2019, 22:10 »
Currently I am on a 300 mbps M1 plan using an Asus N56u router which I've checked to be able to matched 300mbps. But seems like the are some lags once in a while plus a few dead spots even though my place is very small.
Am thinking of upgrading my router to a newer model instead of adding a extender. Anyone cares to comment...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Re: Am I doing the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 23:32 »
Might be your neighbours WiFi causing congestion. Scan for quieter channel then configure your WiFi to use that channel.

Even better, upgrade to a more powerful home gateway/router that could drown out your neighbour’s signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 00:03 »
Try an app like istumbler to see who else is around and what channels they are using that might be conflicting
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 00:06 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 05:26 »
Currently I am on a 300 mbps M1 plan using an Asus N56u router which I've checked to be able to matched 300mbps. But seems like the are some lags once in a while plus a few dead spots even though my place is very small.
Am thinking of upgrading my router to a newer model instead of adding a extender. Anyone cares to comment...

David, wow, thats a 10-year old Router! How are you even getting anywhere close too 300Mbps throughput on that thing! ??? Did you mean on a Wired connection?... On WiFi it probably tops out near 100Mbps, even in .11n. Even the company that makes the main chip in that model is gone (subsumed by Mediatek).

And while you’re at it, you might want to consider moving up to least a 1Gig Broadband service from M1… a quick scan on M1 shows their slowest service now is 500Mbps, they don’t even have a 300Mbps service anymore! :P
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:42 »
M1 gives a decent basic AC router foc or $5 (on the 500Mbps plan) or foc for the 1Gbps plan, once u recontract. Have you recontract? If you did not, then yr monthly cost is about that for a 1Gbps line anyway, so might as well do it.

Btw - just be wary of the free sim give for the plan as it is now only foc for 500MB, if usage is above 500MB can be expensive

For decent coverage, need consider a MESH network which is configured properly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:47 by stereoman2 »

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 11:07 »
David, wow, thats a 10-year old Router! How are you even getting anywhere close too 300Mbps throughput on that thing! ??? Did you mean on a Wired connection?... On WiFi it probably tops out near 100Mbps, even in .11n. Even the company that makes the main chip in that model is gone (subsumed by Mediatek).

And while you’re at it, you might want to consider moving up to least a 1Gig Broadband service from M1… a quick scan on M1 shows their slowest service now is 500Mbps, they don’t even have a 300Mbps service anymore!
No kidding ah... Didn't know I got myself a dinosaur at home. So far not much complaints with the current setup except for occasional lags and not able to use my phone at the back toilet haha. My pc and TV box is wired only uses wireless fire phone and tablet.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 15:59 »
David recall your place not so big lah.... try to get your router moved to more central location on your flat - longer fibre cable or lan cable from your ONT location. This will help you surf in the throne room :P

Seriously get a new contract if you haven't already and free router - just about anything will better than what you have now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 16:03 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 16:35 »
David recall your place not so big lah.... try to get your router moved to more central location on your flat - longer fibre cable or lan cable from your ONT location. This will help you surf in the throne room

Seriously get a new contract if you haven't already and free router - just about anything will better than what you have now.
Thanks Paul, just got a Linksys EA8100 that my friend have as a spare. Now all is good, finally mu phone works inside the loo. Thanks for the other inputs too...

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 21:04 »
I am on the same plan with the same router. Frequent interruptions but now all ok after changing router. Yah the NT56U is ancient, Haha