Author Topic: Roon - still happy with it?  (Read 999 times)

Offline sonofdbn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Roon - still happy with it?
« on: November 02, 2019, 21:10 »
I'm wondering if long-term Roon users are still happy with it. I've just started a trial installation, and the UI is very impressive. I particularly like seeing the signal path and what's being done to the original file.

My relatively minor issues: not sure about the purpose of user profiles - just to customise views, history, favourites, etc.? Also seems like any user can delete the original music files. (But I think I can fix that as I'm running Roon in a docker on my server and I think I can set the music folder to read-only.)

The price: the lifetime licence price of US$499 is an obstacle. Yes, one could make a case that in the context of what we spend on our equipment it's quite reasonable, but in my case I feel I would essentially be paying for the slick interface. I don't particularly value being able to see the linking of artists, songs, albums, etc. in my music. It's nice, but not a must-have. I have no native Roon endpoints (yet  ;)). I have no particular interest in MQA, and I don't subscribe to any streaming service. So from my viewpoint the competition is JRiver or something like that.

My biggest concern is the lifetime licence concept (and the annual fee is too much). I worry that Roon might go off in a direction that I don't like. (Plex is a good example of a product with a lifetime licence that I think has gone in the wrong direction, or at least prioritised the wrong things.) And what happens if one day Roon shuts down? I suppose the database information stays, but I don't know how dependent it is on Roon (the company).

So not sure yet whether I'll sign up. Would appreciate any comments.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Roon - still happy with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:51 »
Been a lifer here for over 3 years....also have numerous endpoints mainly RPi and wired connections, also use ATV and ChromeCast.

I also use an i7 NUC in a fanless chassis as my main core but also have used WIn10 and MacOS systems over the years.

Streaming with multiple endpoints and being able to move playback around without stopping playlists etc is handy for me.

I'm often streaming different things in the house in different rooms as my wife also uses it.

The other streaming source I use (other than a sizeable NAS library) is Tidal Hifi/Master.

One other thing with the RPi setups using ropieee.org I can also stream via Spotify or jriver to the bulk of my endpoints when I want to. It also allows for RPi HATS that can be DAC's or even digital AMP's driving speakers directly or also having playback display of album and control etc - Ropieee is very. handy in this regard

Well worth the initial pain of lifetime, but if you worry its no more than a tidal subscription every year. 

There are threads in the Roon community that detail what issues there are if Roon shuts down, suggest you read more there and in the knowledge bases.

https://community.roonlabs.com and https://kb.roonlabs.com
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:57 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:43 »
I'm wondering if long-term Roon users are still happy with it. ...

Just my 2cents; If you're looking for the ultimate in Sound Quality streaming software, Roon is not it (even Audirvana sounds better). I bought into a Roon perpetual license, but I barely touch it these days because the Sound Quality difference with my native streaming software in my system is so significant. But Roon can't be beat from a meta-data handling perspective. So, unless you need some of Roon's "bells & whistles", I'd say think carefully.

Good luck in your exploration!  :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 23:34 »
Thanks for the feedback. Still undecided, but tending towards not taking it up. I can see how it could be great for others, and it does look fantastic, but I'm finding it difficult to justify the price for my use case.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:43 »
I tried Audirvana on a 2014 i5 MacMini with a 260K track library and it totally dug a hole for itself...ill try it on my windows i7-7700 too but I'm not expecting much....soundwise well it barely managed to find a endpoint faster than one in 5 mins...not exactly stellar out of the box.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wklie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47 »
I've just started a trial installation

Roon lifetime price is increased to USD699

Those who have started Roon trial before yesterday can try this to ask for the original price:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increased-499-699/84083/23?u=wklie
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 15:22 »
that's a pretty ballsy move, I'd say. this December marks my 3 years with Roon. I upgraded to the lifetime plan after my first year and on hindsight, I should've just taken the lifetime plunge right at the beginning itself.

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 22:04 »
Roon lifetime price is increased to USD699

Well, now I can feel good about saving USD699 instead of USD499  ;). Found it really difficult to justify the cost vs. the benefit I would get, so no Roon for me.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 22:53 »
I’m surprised they left the lifetime available at all after this long. The 699 is a deterrent as Danny has noted. I don’t see it being offered for much longer...into my 4th year of lifetime already.