Author Topic: What are you most looking forward to for your next HT upgrade?  (Read 828 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
For me, the new Anthem MRX series (4th Gen) with ARC Genesis (after I have experienced it myself on the MRX720/1120), I love the way Anthem ARC Genesis handles the subwoofer responses (day and night difference when compared to Audyssey). Till this day, I believe Anthem ARC Genesis is better in minimizing standing waves than Audyssey for smaller room. Depending on the availability - which one comes first, I may try AudioControl for its Dirac Live with BM integration when it hits the market, otherwise I will go for Anthem.

For Audyssey, in order for your to achieve great sound (surrounds + bass), a lot more work have to put in before, during and after Audyssey calibration. But if you want more finesse control and is open to tweaks and not afraid to get your hands dirty etc...then AVR/Pre-pro equipped with Dirac Live is the way to go imo.

Another piece of HT gear that I'm eagerly waiting for it to make it to maintsream is for the mass production of WiSA-based speakers for mounting any number of pairs of ceiling or overhead speakers to take advantage of Object-based sound mix. Most users hate to lay speaker wires on the ceiling and will try to avoid that as far as possible. WiSA stands for "Wireless Speaker and Audio Association". It can transmit high bitrate audio and video using a different Wi-Fi spectrum. Much like the implementation of WiDi devices like the Epson projector you can stream a true 4K movie wirelessly w/o the need for cable.   Of course, the limitation is on the "short" distance. But since all of our speakers in a HT den are close together, I foresee this WiSA tech will soon allow wireless speakers to be installed on the ceiling and walls w/o the need to lay speaker cables. See here for details on WiSA: https://www.wisaassociation.org/about-wisa/our-technology/

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:11 by desray »

Online chaozhoi

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What are you most looking forward to for your next HT upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:22 »
I believe there's also a need for PowerPoint at respective speaker location in order for the wireless to work right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:29 »
I believe there's also a need for PowerPoint at respective speaker location in order for the wireless to work right?

True...that's also a big headache.

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
What are you most looking forward to for your next HT upgrade?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 13:24 »
Since this topic of wireless speaker comes up, while I was exploring the next set of HT speakers for new den, the first consideration in my mind is to go for active speakers but drop the idea entirely when I think about the numbers of power socket I need to provide at ceiling.

Ceiling: 6 - 4 is minimum
Rear: 4 - 2 each for speakers & subwoofers
Front: 5 - 2 additional for top height
Side: 2 - optional if place allows it
Total: 17 or 11 as minimum

That also applies to interconnect runs too!

Dropped the idea entirely and went for passive ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online chaozhoi

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 14:07 »
More fun playing with amp and speaker matching.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 14:18 »
the whole Wireless thing really is a joke...the audio quality is less than wired, you need power so thats wired already and you need complicated transmission to have more than 1 -2 channels separated adequately and your tonal matching is out the window too....dead loss...run a frigging speaker cable and be done.

I'm considering Atmos but the whole WAF thing might get in the way with more than the 2 speakers up top (surrounds for 5.1 only now) as that might jump to 4 or 6 then add back in 4 more lower for the 7.x.x and then adding 4K PJ to make it worth while...I probably want a bigger screen. maybe one day...even while I have all the speakers ready to do the full 9.1.6 and amp channels too...just need the processor and maybe can use the Smyth Research A16 at a pinch initially.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 14:20 »
Dirac Live AVR is next in line for my HT upgrade.

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 14:29 »
Looking to downgrade to just a soundbar + sub can liao.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 14:41 »
For me, aiming to have a sound panel on rear wall, and a Dirac live avr. :)

The rest will be on hold due to having young children in the house this few years...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 16:58 by sevenz »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 15:13 »
Benchmark AHB 2 or the Apollon monoblocks to replace the emotiva monoblocks ( if I can sell it)

This benchmark amp is reference stuff...

Offline rayleh

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 15:13 »
For me, aiming to have a sound panel on rear wall, and a Dirac live avr. :)

The rest will be in hold due to having young children in the house this few years...

Bro, we have the same plan. Still waiting for my acoustic panels for the rear wall and then will look for a Dirac Live AVR.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 17:01 »
Bro, we have the same plan. Still waiting for my acoustic panels for the rear wall and then will look for a Dirac Live AVR.

Haha... yay! Hi-5! =) Maybe we should start a group buy for Dirac Live AVR to get better price ;D

Panels - by the way, fyi (u might oredi know it liao), Earth Sound has an acoustic art panel group buy, price quite attractive!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 17:03 by sevenz »

Online chaozhoi

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 17:45 »
Hoping to get SVS PC4000 and minidsp for BEQ

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 18:02 »
After taking in the comments from bros here regarding the wireless speakers...I have to agree that it really not worth the effort. So I guess it will be AVR with Dirac Live + BM for the next upgrade. Of course, the ultimate wet dream for me will be 4K laser projector as I'm more of a video guy. But that's going to take a few more years.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 18:03 »

Nice...safe bet and something tangible in the short term.