Author Topic: Do nice flat graph=Good Sound  (Read 1584 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Re: Do nice flat graph=Good Sound
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 16:39 »
Thanks Sevenz for sharing your thoughts too...  :)

so which frequencies are you more referring to in HT bro? =) Cos if we include freq above 120hz, it's a different story.

Offline kennyluck2000

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 17:11 »
so which frequencies are you more referring to in HT bro? =) Cos if we include freq above 120hz, it's a different story.
I am more into bass freq. But if using the room correction software.. does it mean also going above 120hz..

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 18:23 »

...if we have flat FR, I can still get the bass to sound & feel well "enough" thru increasing the sub's volume to match the dialogue volume. But, but, the problem about smaller listening rooms like in SG compared to Ang Mo country is that - the lower freq bass tend to sound softer to the ears than higher freq bass at the same measured SPL.

So more often that not, if i want 20hz to sound as loud to the ears Vs 90hz & feel the rumble, without a house curve, I need to bump up the sub(s)' volume. But this will mean that my mid bass will end up being over bloated because my mid bass will sound much louder to the ears. Causing the entire sound to be boomy.

So a house curve is very impt for me, within the 0-100hz region, to make lower bass frequencies sound equally balanced to my ears Vs higher bass freq  :) 

Lastly, agreed with bros here that horizontal flat FR is probably nicer for music.

20Hz region is not something you "hear" but "feel" but the SPL reading will be on the same reading with the rest of the frequency range. Of course, increasing the subwoofer gain will not work. That's why you need PEQ to work wonders for that range and that requires some level of technical know-how and various trial and error to get a good blend for both music and movie. I agreed on a slight bump in that sub-bass region will definitely give you that "shiok" feel but like you say, you are sacrificing other things you aptly described.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 18:26 by desray »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 08:33 »
I am more into bass freq. But if using the room correction software.. does it mean also going above 120hz..

Depending on the type of room correction software you use, some allow for correction below Schroeder frequency, some will be all the way up to 20khz . Some do a good job correcting frequencies below 100hz , some not

But for bass I think the minidsp 2x4hd is very good, other than the ability to set delays, do Bass EQ, set the individual gain, check for input signal clipping, set for compression, filters,invert polarity, high pass Low pass etc, many things u can do , very suitable for subwoofer EQ. Doesn’t cost a lot, USD205 and we have a local distributor here

Offline sevenz

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 08:45 »
20Hz region is not something you "hear" but "feel" but the SPL reading will be on the same reading with the rest of the frequency range.

Are u referring to the region below 20hz for this? :)

If I didn't rem wrongly, for 20hz alone (to determine house curve), if u use rew to pass a 20hz test tone thru the sub channel, u can still hear quite audible tone.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:59 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 09:01 »
Are u referring to region below 20hz for this?

If I didn't rem wrongly, for 20hz alone, if u use rew to pass a 20hz test tone thru the sub channel, u can still hear the audible tone. :)

Yes, I’m referring to < 20hz. LoL

Yes, 20hz - 20Khz is the range where humans can hear those test tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26 »
Depending on the type of room correction software you use, some allow for correction below Schroeder frequency, some will be all the way up to 20khz . Some do a good job correcting frequencies below 100hz , some not

But for bass I think the minidsp 2x4hd is very good, other than the ability to set delays, do Bass EQ, set the individual gain, check for input signal clipping, set for compression, filters,invert polarity, high pass Low pass etc, many things u can do , very suitable for subwoofer EQ. Doesn’t cost a lot, USD205 and we have a local distributor here

Agree minidsp 2x4hd is very good for bass EQ.  :)
Just need to download software to your CPU and connect to the minidsp. A lot of tweaking we can do... ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:32 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 11:18 »

Oki ;)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 12:21 »
Oki ;)

But beyond the that, that’s where we need the mic to help us since we are unable to “hear”. We may hear “softer” but the SPL should “ideally” have the same level across the board. But we all know there are dips and peaks due to the (standing waves) interacting with the room modes but that’s another topic.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 12:54 »
I can confidently say that bass is almost always the culprit which either “make or break” the HT experience. Ability to take control and make adjustments be it using technical means like miniDSP and/or moving the subwoofers around to rein in the “beast” is the most critical.

Online rayleh

Offline kennyluck2000

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 13:36 »
Agree minidsp 2x4hd is very good for bass EQ.  :)
Just need to download software to your CPU and connect to the minidsp. A lot of tweaking we can do... ;) ;) ;)

Have u dived into Bass EQ? If you haven’t, then u can check out Ngsk room! If he is free, Lol . A fully time aligned system, very very good 7.3 system. His room not with flat response, Low frequency rising curve , sounds fantastic, at least to me, (lol cos I EQ for him, sure la say fantastic ) hahahahaha

Jokes aside, are u looking at tweaking something or adding some room Eq software etc? Out of curiosity, what prompted the question on a flat response?

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 13:40 »

Now my hearing is only up to 16khz, beyond that I can’t hear anything .

Online rayleh

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 13:51 »
Now my hearing is only up to 16khz, beyond that I can’t hear anything .

That means you are still young.