Author Topic: 55" TV recommendation, LED, QLED or OLED  (Read 964 times)

Offline wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
55" TV recommendation, LED, QLED or OLED
« on: October 02, 2019, 23:22 »
Hi
Time to buy a new 55" TV for my solo den as will be relocating the current Samsung Curve TV to my daughter's bedroom.

Browsing around, it seems the following are similarly priced

Panasonic GZ1000 OLED
Samsung Q75
Sony X9500

A bit itchy to try out the Panny OLED as likely I will be the only gaming with this TV, meaning easier to Control gaming time to avoid dreaded permanent burn in issue.

Any comments or advise, noting that my solo den can be dark too.

Thanks

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Re: 55" TV recommendation, LED, QLED or OLED
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:21 »
I wouldn't suggest OLED even though OLED have the benefit of deep blacks...
However if you insist...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3oqktdx2a8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L3oqktdx2a8&fs=1</a>

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 12:55 »
Some Oled models might not be the best for gaming and soccer. It's not the best in fast motion panning compared to LED. But maybe the latest models overcome this already. suggest u audition with gaming console before u buy.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 23:36 »
Thanks for the advice. Will watch out for the motion performance of the GZ1000 during my visit.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:18 »
Lol...not easy to test gaming with the oled at the showroom. All they could show are soccer scenes.

Guess for oled will down to Panasonic GZ1000 and LG C9. Price difference only about $150-$200 after all discounts.

Mmm..wondering how important will the Panny HDR10+ support will be?.

Offline Sunblock

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 16:13 »
take note that the LG C9 also supports eARC and HDMI 2.1 on all four ports, although there is currently little advantage to this, as there are no HDMI 2.1 sources available yet but at least is is future proof based on what you commented to play games which I am sure you plan to buy the PS5 or XBONE2.

IMHO, this is inevitable to buy OLED LG’s HDMI 2.1 features instead of the Panasonic. Don't get me wrong, Panasonic offers excellent picture quality and have raised the bar with their 2019 models as compared to previous models.

I was in the same predicament as you are now and in the end ..... Trust your eyeballs and goes with your heart  ;D

Offline wcseow

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 16:29 »
Thanks Sunblock. You are righ

As I am happy with both for the colours, though slightly leaning towards the Panny, it seems it will come down to HDMI 2.1 v HDR10+.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 09:02 »
Bro, suggest that u test the panning motion first for OLED if your use is into mostly gaming.

OLED's strength is not in that. Most decent LEDs is better in that aspect I think.

If u can't bring consoles, download or record intense clips with horizontal or vertical panning motion and bring the clip via USB to test.

Soccer can already show it quite clearly some times.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16 »
Thanks. I realised my initial post has some words missing, leading to some misunderstandings on my requirements.

I meant to say I will be the only one gaming on this TV since my children have their own TVs, thus I can manage it to avoid permanent burn in. My apologies 😁😁

This TV will be 70% movie 30% gaming.

But your advise certainly brought my attention to the panning issues.

The soccer demo scenes displayed in the store came out pretty well for the GZ1000 and C9, in fact seems to be better than my current 55KU6500. Not sure whether they turn on any motion control. Lol

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 15:23 »
OLED.....bigger than 55" please.  Don't buy a 55" and then regret.   65" is mainstream.....77"  is really nice.

(Audio)

Offline wcseow

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 18:05 »
OLED.....bigger than 55" please.  Don't buy a 55" and then regret.   65" is mainstream.....77"  is really nice.

(Audio)

Lol..space limited as it is for my solo den, 2m x 2.7m. 55" is the max I could have. A 65" will be too close to the Front speakers and also to viewing distance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 19:29 by wcseow »

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 18:57 »
Lol..space limited as it is for my solo den, 2m x 2
7m. 55" is the max I could have. A 65" will be too close to the Front speakers and also to viewing distance.

Maybe next month black friday got better sales..

Offline wcseow

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 19:32 »
Just found out that my AVRs do not support HDR10+, kind of make decision easier now as I am not too keen in having 2 HDMI connections from the blu ray player. 😁

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 09:43 »
Lol..space limited as it is for my solo den, 2m x 2.7m. 55" is the max I could have. A 65" will be too close to the Front speakers and also to viewing distance.

This is 4K.  There is no such thing as "too close" or "too big".  My son went out and bought a 55" OLED TV for his apartment; I override it and get Harvey Norman to upgrade and deliver a 65" model.   Now, he told me even the 65" is TOO SMALL for him.

On my PC desktop, I used a 49" PC Monitor with the screen just 70 com from me.   It is still TOO SMALL for me.

Please.....consider again before you regret.

(Audio)

Offline sevenz

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 09:54 »
This TV will be 70% movie 30% gaming.

The soccer demo scenes displayed in the store came out pretty well for the GZ1000 and C9, in fact seems to be better than my current 55KU6500. Not sure whether they turn on any motion control. Lol
[/quote]

Oic.... thanks for clarifying. If movie is 70%, go for the OLED.

Try the panny ones. If i didn't rem wrongly, the recent panny OLEDs have good motion panning and the price is more affordable and the PQ is same if not better.