Author Topic: Setting up a HT Den in a square room: Compressive Feeling In My Ear  (Read 16407 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Dear friends
I need some help :
I use a dedicated den for my HT, and I usually listen with the door closed. I notice that even at rather low levels, there's a compressive feeling in my ears, and even friends who came notice it in the recent demos.
I wonder if there's something I can do about it?
Is it bass traps, diffusers or what is the remedy..
I also hope to get a bit of help with using some objective tools to do some measurements in my room and I hope to ask some kind guru to come over, say in the last weekend of Sept?

Thanks bros..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 22:15 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline petetherock

Re: Help: Compressive Feeling In My Ear
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 21:22 »
FYI
I've also felt this, in a few other homes where there are many bass units, but in Jag, Jason Yeo and some of the really serious bass users' homes, I didn't. So I wonder if there's some deficit in the bass acoustic treatment in my home?

My gear:

Offline synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 21:50 »
Is it different feeling from out of phase woofer?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 22:00 »
When you described "compressive feeling"...are you saying that you experiencing "muffled", lack of definition and clarity in bass or something else?

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 22:37 »
Suspect Pete has a modal peak in the bass response, especially if it's in a sealed room. The peak (usually more than 10db) is causing the ear pressurisation sensation.
If typical room size the first modal peak will be in the 35-45hz range.

Are you using any room EQ system, typically audyssey etc can cut this peak effectively.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 22:38 by wechnivag »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 23:05 »
oh...y’all talking about room mode peak.

agree can be very jia lat.

mine @ 45Hz cannot fix with bass trap, need to EQ it out; otherwise can trigger headache (for me)
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline petetherock

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 23:29 »
Is it different feeling from out of phase woofer?
No sir, thanks for asking.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 23:30 »
When you described "compressive feeling"...are you saying that you experiencing "muffled", lack of definition and clarity in bass or something else?

No, it's a physical pressure pressing on the ear, actually causing discomfort if you listen for prolonged duration.
And it's not because it's loud cos bros who come over will attest to how soft it is...
I may have three subs, but that's to even out the bass rather than for SPL. Same issue if I had one sub too...

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 23:32 »
Suspect Pete has a modal peak in the bass response, especially if it's in a sealed room. The peak (usually more than 10db) is causing the ear pressurisation sensation.
If typical room size the first modal peak will be in the 35-45hz range.

Are you using any room EQ system, typically audyssey etc can cut this peak effectively.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

It could be this, I'm using Audyssey XT 32, but I'm a computer idiot, so I have a BNIB Umik, ha ha.. I'm trying to reach out to get some help... not just blindly buy traps and diffusers..  I've lined up a few products but I want to make sure they are suitable before getting them..

My gear:

Online rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 23:42 »
Pete, you should read up the REW (there was a link in the REW thread) and start to play around with it. The learning curve is quite steep in my opinion so need to get your hands dirty and ask in this forum along the way if you need any help.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Help: Compressive Feeling In My Ear
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 06:28 »
No, it's a physical pressure pressing on the ear, actually causing discomfort if you listen for prolonged duration.
And it's not because it's loud cos bros who come over will attest to how soft it is...
I may have three subs, but that's to even out the bass rather than for SPL. Same issue if I had one sub too...

Frankly, Audyssey is the last thing to do for a case of modal peak. The solution can be resolved by displacement either from your MLP or the subwoofers. You will be surprised by how much improvement you can get simply by moving the subwoofers away from the corners. 3 subwoofers can be challenge which may cause unevenness in bass response “if” you didn’t place it properly.

Audyssey doesn’t help much. You should do a sweep first to determine the best MLP and/or subwoofer placements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:31 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Help: Compressive Feeling In My Ear
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 06:50 »
It could be this, I'm using Audyssey XT 32, but I'm a computer idiot, so I have a BNIB Umik, ha ha.. I'm trying to reach out to get some help... not just blindly buy traps and diffusers..  I've lined up a few products but I want to make sure they are suitable before getting them..

While not an emerging trend, I noticed quite a few members (at least based on my last few encounters with members here) bought stuff that they don’t really use it simply because others have it and highly recommend it. I think if you intend to spend money to get it because you see the long term intrinsic value in it, the. You owe it to yourself to start reading up and learn how to use it. Often times, I read about not having enough time due to family commitment, a non-techie etc; these are excuses...as long as you put your mind and heart in everything your do, it can be done. We don’t need to be an expert in everything we do but we can train to be proficient in using the tools.

I also use REW using the UMik 1 from MinIDSP since 5 yrs ago but I use it mainly to understand the problems of my room and how best to place my speakers and subwoofers to avoid nasty peaks and dips in response. That’s one way to use it and it doesn’t take much time to read up the many useful tutorials in the internet. Start to set a goal and tell yourself you want to learn something new today and trust me your interest will take you to places far beyond what you think you are capable of.

Pete, I hope you take my comments in a constructive manner rather than a destructive one.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26 »
Frankly, Audyssey is the last thing to do for a case of modal peak. The solution can be resolved by displacement either from your MLP or the subwoofers. You will be surprised by how much improvement you can get simply by moving the subwoofers away from the corners. 3 subwoofers can be challenge which may cause unevenness in bass response “if” you didn’t place it properly.

Audyssey doesn’t help much. You should do a sweep first to determine the best MLP and/or subwoofer placements.

Thanks I did do the crawl to find the best spots. I’m also confined to using the corners or near corners due to the smallness of my room.

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 07:30 »
Thanks I did do the crawl to find the best spots. I’m also confined to using the corners or near corners due to the smallness of my room.

That is probably the problem here...corner or near-corner placements is fine PROVIDED your ceiling height is "tall" enough to reduce the "boundary gain" effects caused by standing waves and in this case, the longer wave length of the subwoofers can very well be the issue here. How high is your ceiling may I ask?

Offline petetherock

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 07:59 »
That is probably the problem here...corner or near-corner placements is fine PROVIDED your ceiling height is "tall" enough to reduce the "boundary gain" effects caused by standing waves and in this case, the longer wave length of the subwoofers can very well be the issue here. How high is your ceiling may I ask?

3.15m...

My gear: