Author Topic: Streaming (audio) issues  (Read 1318 times)

Offline scoobydoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • In Naim, I trust.
Streaming (audio) issues
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:10 »
Just thought it would be good to raise this for information and sharing.

I am using a Synology DS214play NAS and streams to my Naim NDS with a wired connection throughout. I have faced numerous problems before but generally it is working fine.

However, once in a while, the NAS will fail to 'serve' the files to the NDS and I cant see the files from the phone or the NDS screen.

So what I will have to do is to go into the Synology assistant and uninstall and reinstall the "Media Server".

Initially when I couldnt find out what was wrong, it drove me nuts. But just curious, why would this happen, i.e. why would the "media server fail"? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
In Naim, I trust.

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: Streaming (audio) issues
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:17 »
Leave the media server as is. Install MinimServer for music streaming to DLNA streamer.

Online analogguy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:20 »
Yes, I stream via Synology NAS as well and use Minimserver.  Took me some time to realize that Media Server must be running.

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:29 »
A long time ago, I used minimserver. I cant remember why, but I actually prefered the use of the media server. Somehow I remembered using the minimserver was "troublesome".
In Naim, I trust.

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:50 »
Just curious. Before reinstalling, did you try re-indexing?

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 11:19 »
Just curious. Before reinstalling, did you try re-indexing?

How do I do that?
In Naim, I trust.

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 11:40 »
Now for my next problem. Not so much a problem with streaming per se, but part of the process.

So I have to rip my CDs and copy the files over to my NAS. So what I do is I will rip the CDs with my Sony notebook that comes with a built in CD ROM. Then I will transfer the files over to the external HDD then plug the HDD into the NAS via USB.

What used to happen was that I can use my Windows notebook to see both the NAS and the HDD via Windows Explorer and I could copy the files over. Slow, but manageable. Then after a while, there were times my notebook just cannot ‘see’ the NAS. I can still see it in the network (as in when I double click on it, it will open the Synology Assistant). However, the notebook cannot see the NAS like a drive. I have to reboot the notebook a few times and then sometimes it will see the NAS like a drive.

However, recently, it totally cant see the NAS like a drive. So the only way for me to copy over the files from the HDD was to go through the ‘File Station’ in the synology assistant which is a total PITA. It is super laggy and I cannot (or don’t know how to) open 2 File Stations side by side. It was total disaster when I want to copy my Chinese files (which I name in Chinese chars) over to the NAS, cos I wont know if e.g. 李is before or after 陈, if you know what I mean. And scrolling through the folders using the file station was super laggy.

Then I thought this is all because my notebook was accessing the NAS wirelessly through my home network. My NAS is connected to a CISCO switch, and so I connected to the notebook I am using to the switch as well using a LAN cable. So NOW, I can see the NAS as a drive in Windows Explorer, BUT… I can only read files from the NAS but I cannot copy files into the NAS (seems like no WRITE ACESS). I was totally about to give up. I thought must be some dumb setting in my NAS.

So as a final resort, I thought why not try using my pretty old macbook air and see how it does.

AND GUESS WHAT… using the macbook air is a treat. The Finder just sees the NAS a driver and the scrolling through the folders is a total breeze. So now I just open 2 Finders, one for the NAS, the other for the HDD and just copy and paste over.

So it is NOT a problem with the NAS’ settings?

Any clues what is happening, guys?
In Naim, I trust.

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 12:09 »
Media Indexing

I had not used NAS for a long time. Not sure if the following info is correct.

Can try this link: https://www.synology.com/th-th/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/application_mediaindexservice_general

In addition, not sure if this is useful:

Drive mapping

The solution maybe dependent on Window version.

Link: https://sites.google.com/site/synologysupport/english/mapping-issues/how-to-create-mapping-drives-for-syno-nas

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 15:54 »
Just thought it would be good to raise this for information and sharing.

I am using a Synology DS214play NAS and streams to my Naim NDS with a wired connection throughout. I have faced numerous problems before but generally it is working fine.

However, once in a while, the NAS will fail to 'serve' the files to the NDS and I cant see the files from the phone or the NDS screen.

So what I will have to do is to go into the Synology assistant and uninstall and reinstall the "Media Server".

Initially when I couldnt find out what was wrong, it drove me nuts. But just curious, why would this happen, i.e. why would the "media server fail"? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Another other reason UPnP servers can "disappear" is to do with the Ethernet switch doing funky stuff with multicast traffic (which UPnP uses to advertise its availability to UPnP renders).

Whats your wired LAN network like? There are a couple of UPnP diagnostic tools that can help you trace what's really going on, like "UPnP Analyzer" on the Mac... I doubt your root problem is the "Media Server" software crashing... could be, but I doubt it.  ;)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline xenophorean

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 13:13 »
Another other reason UPnP servers can "disappear" is to do with the Ethernet switch doing funky stuff with multicast traffic (which UPnP uses to advertise its availability to UPnP renders).

Whats your wired LAN network like? There are a couple of UPnP diagnostic tools that can help you trace what's really going on, like "UPnP Analyzer" on the Mac... I doubt your root problem is the "Media Server" software crashing... could be, but I doubt it.  ;)

Yes I think AndrewC could be right, Once in a while when you think highly of yourself as 狗屁

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 16:48 »

Both my SingTel router and NAS are connected to a CISCO switch. From the switch, it is connected to a wall LAN point which is wired to my hifi room. From the hifi room, there is another wall LAN point which is connected to my Naim streamer.

However, I faced the exact same problems before I added the switch, i.e. the NAS was connected to the singtel router and from the singtel router to the wall LAN point.
In Naim, I trust.

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 16:49 »
Yes I think AndrewC could be right, Once in a while when you think highly of yourself as 狗屁

Huh?? what is this about??
In Naim, I trust.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Streaming (audio) issues
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 18:25 »
Huh?? what is this about??

specifically targeted AndrewC on a few threads.  is soap dropper back?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 18:56 »

Methinks it's some other clone !
Less is more !

Offline xenophorean

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 21:25 »

perhaps  ;)