Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy Fold...Anyone?  (Read 959 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...

Offline pschia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love Cats !
Re: Samsung Galaxy Fold...Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 20:45 »
Can buy a 55" OLED TV and still have change with $3088. ::)
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:11 »
Rather buy a nice subwoofer with the money

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 20:40 »
+1...

Samsung is crazy!

Offline qflyer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 00:06 »
samsung is not going to make $ on this.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:11 »
samsung is not going to make $ on this.

This is more of “making a statement” piece of hardware demonstrating the prowess of Samsung. This is a good thing as it propels the industry towards a new era of smart mobile devices.

There is potential in foldable 2-in-1 device but the current design needs further refinement to withstand daily usage. I can foresee a lot of problems with wear and tear especially on the plastic OLED screen. Let’s not forget by going this route, we are forgoing a lot of other features like IP67/68 ratings as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Samsung Galaxy Fold...Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 14:02 »
If I have to use one word to describe this new foldable phone from Samsung after having a hands on at the M1 shop at Bugis Junction. That word is “crap”!

First of all, it is so damn heavy and the two magnets that holds the 2 pieces together is so damn strong so much as that u need to exert some force to prise open it. This is extremely dangerous, imagine if you got butter fingers and I can almost guarantee that 90% of the owners will drop this damn thing within a few weeks of use. It is damn slippery. The carbon fibre case that comes with the package may help to a certain extent but if you intend to have a better protection, be prepared to get a bumper case which in away going to add more heft to the already heavy phone to begin with. Opening up the galaxy fold no longer have that “wow” factor for me. And that crease right in the middle of the screen is also very conspicuous especially against a dark/black background.

The ambassador told me that Samsung will provide a screen replacement within 1 yr if there is any defect and owner still need to fork out additional $ outlay of $200 for one time replacement fee which otherwise would cost nearly $700 dollars.

Now I understand why so many Carousell members are offloading their Galaxy Fold after just 1 week and some even within 24hrs after usage.

My advice, pls avoid at all cost unless u got cash to burn. Even so, I’ll advise you to donate the money to good cause than getting this crap.

PS: At the back of my mind, I have this “constant fear” of dropping it every second I held the device. This is just waiting for nuts to happen!!!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 14:05 by desray »

Offline Heng

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 14:51 »
Hope the Mate X or Surface Duo is a better product than Galaxy Fold.. :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Samsung Galaxy Fold...Anyone?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 15:58 »
First of all, it is over priced! And the hardware itself is half baked and I doubt Samsung is confident with this product will have a long lifespan.

The last gripe I have with the device is the useless small OLED screen on the outer shell. The screen is too small to have get good utility out of it. You are more prone to switch to the bigger screen (most of the time) which kind of make it a bit gimmicky. Nevertheless, it is still important to have a front screen if you want this to function as a phone. The biggest design flaw for the super hyped Microsoft Duo (foldable phablet) is the lack of a screen in the outer shell. Imagine, you need to open the Duo and flip it 360 degrees every time to either make or receive a call?! If Microsoft wants to make Duo a phone cum tablet, they need to re look at the Duo design. For a Microsoft Surface Neo, that is a different beast altogether since it is essentially running on a full Windows OS and not Android.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 15:59 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 16:04 »
While I may sound very critical on Samsung Galaxy Fold, I must applaud the efforts and courage of Samsung to roll out the first mass consumer grade foldable phone to the market while others like Huawei still contemplating whether to launch it now or later.

Kudos Samsung for having the courage to do it even though the Galaxy Fold is not everything i have come hope.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 16:14 »

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 18:23 »
Next year no Note and S. Will be a single product line. Let's see

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 07:54 »
Foldable screen done right (it seems ;D)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IxSTFbL9ziw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IxSTFbL9ziw&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IEDFC8NZqA&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3IEDFC8NZqA&fs=1</a>   <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOe1gy4b9Jc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dOe1gy4b9Jc&fs=1</a>
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 08:14 »
This Razr is very tempting. I used to own a couple of Motorola flip phones and love it.

Offline Norman_Chan

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 19:59 »
Just for info, some telco set of the Samsung Fold selling at 3rd party shops for about S$2.5k+