Author Topic: Bitrate of streamed HDR 10+ is 80Mbps!  (Read 335 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
Bitrate of streamed HDR 10+ is 80Mbps!
« on: August 31, 2019, 09:22 »
I finally figured out how to enable the "developer menu" on my Amazon Firestick 4K so I can see the bitrate of movies being streamed to it. Recently, I was excited to get my first streamed HDR10+ movie, Captain Marvel, that would light up my Panny OLED's HDR 10+ logo, but was wondering if it was actually doing anything. Well, the bitrate on HDR10+ Captain Marvel is showing 70-80 mbps on the Firestick monitor, which, according to Vincent Teoh of HDTVtest, is the bitrate of Dolby Vision discs played on an Oppo UHD Player. It looks that on the Amazon platform, you can stream movies in full UHD Blu Ray Dolby Vision bitrates.

I am also able to play Captain Marvel on Movies Anywhere on the same Firestick in HDR10 (ie no "+") and the bitrate is only about 30-40 mbps so looks like if you play directly from Amazon Video, you should get a better picture than Movies Anywhere. Playing John Wick 3 in HDR10 from Amazon Video, shows a bitrate of around 50mbps, so it seems that Captain Marvel (HDR10+) had a significantly higher bitrate than John Wick 3 (HDR10), perhaps because of that dynamic metadata.

I note that Vincent of HDTVtest, said that the Apple TV 4K streams Dolby Vision movies at 30mbps. I'm not sure if that is a limitation of his internet connection, but if it is truly a limitation of the Apple TV 4K, then movies on Amazon's Firestick 4K are a much better deal than buying on iTunes/Apple TV 4K, since you will get a sharper picture since the bitrate can be 2-3x higher.

Offline john_125

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bitrate of streamed HDR 10+ is 80Mbps!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07 »
Wow, thanks for sharing. Will try it out, left my Firestick in storage for awhile now as couldn't download the Netflix app. I'll subscribe to the Amazon Video service service again to check it out. Many thanks!