Author Topic: Bad Encounter with LG Customer Support  (Read 561 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Bad Encounter with LG Customer Support
« on: September 06, 2019, 14:44 »
I just want to share my experience so whoever encounters the same issue will know what to do.

My 1-year-old LG LCD TV cannot be turned on using the Magic Remote but it can be turned on using the button on the TV itself. Once I have turned on the TV using this button, I can use the remote for other functions except for the ON/OFF. I have read somewhere that the Magic Remote is connected via RF or Bluetooth and only limited functions are using IR.

I called the LG CS line and I was told to bring down the remote to their service centre to verify. I told the CS that I am quite sure it has to do with the IR receiver of the TV and not the remote. The CS insisted that I bring down the remote to verify and also warned (I am being nice, more of threatening) me that there will be a transportation charge for the technician to come down if they find nothing wrong. He was very persistent for me to bring down the remote for verification. He doesn't want to book a service appointment as he is confident that there is nothing wrong with the TV.

I brought down the remote to their service centre for verification (travelling from East to West). The technician there told me why do I have to bring down the remote since it is so obvious that the IR receiver on the TV is faulty. He told me that I just need to call their CS and make a service appointment. Nothing can describe my frustration at this point in time. To make matter worse, I will be away for business travel next week and can only book an appointment when I am back. I will need to remove the subwoofers and hope they have sufficient space to bring down the wall-hung TV for repair.

I am utterly disappointed with LG in term of product reliability (hope it is a one-off), poor CS (due to limited or non-existent product knowledge) and transport charges even it is still under warranty. Time may have changed but I don't remember it is so cumbersome when I deal with Sony, Sharp and Samsung previously.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 22:40 by rayleh »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: LG Warranty Claim
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 22:12 »
Your title is very misleading...this has nothing to do with their warranty claim whatsoever except for the poor CS support and the miscommunication between the repair department and the CS.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 22:17 »
I just want to share with others that if they can’t turn on the TV with the Magic remote, most likely it is due to the faulty IR receiver on the TV. What do you think is the appropriate title?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 22:24 by rayleh »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 22:32 »
I just want to share with others that if they can’t turn on the TV with the Magic remote, most likely it is due to the faulty IR receiver on the TV. What do you think is the appropriate title?

Based on your encounter...isn't it obvious?

"Bad encounter with LG Customer Support"

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Re: Bad Encounter with LG Customer Support
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 22:49 »
i only know that sometime my TV is unresponsive due to TV system upgrading or battery weak with remote

Offline qflyer

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 23:15 »
Speaking of bad service, the Samsung guy didn’t even show up or even make a call.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 23:36 »
all i know of Samsung is that they subcontract their warranties to non Samsung related3rd parties

Offline justDaniel

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 08:32 »
Samsung service is much worst than LG. Call then to get a replacement of my fridge led light but they did not call as promised. Much worst are their handphone service. No more Samsung product for me.

Offline congsterz

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 18:30 »
Oh. I remember in the old days, I bought a Samsung TV and changed panels 2-3 times but the clouding issue was still bad so I ended up getting a refund. The on site service technicians were cool though, and Samsung CS was okay. It was just a bad product and the on-site techs acknowledged it too.

My encounter with LG CS was bad though. They couldn’t fix a monitor with running lines and had the cheek to suggest I push up brightness to hide it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 18:32 by congsterz »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 19:29 »
I reckon it is all down to luck.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 20:04 »
Any bad encounters with Sony or Panasonic or Philips?

My next tv could be any one of them. ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 20:09 by qflyer »