Author Topic: Demo and catch up Session at Roni's Place  (Read 8430 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Demo and catch up Session at Roni's Place
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 07:58 »
Nice meeting everyone, Glad u guys had the chance to experience. That’s why I had to ask what’s the comfortable listening volume before I start the demo. so I have it in the middle -15mv. The -15 already seems loud because the room noise floor is Low, so we don’t have to crank it up to -10. Some prefer -20, some prefer -10...

Personally when I watch the movies, I play it at -20 to -18 MV nowadays. Previously with my non treated living room, I play it at -12 to -10 because of the size of the room

When the room noise floor is Low, the details will present itself, u can see how much the system benefits from a the room acoustics and noise floor levels, no matter how loud we go and crank, the bass start stops very fast and decays off. Noise control is important, the feeling is different. That first jungle clip says it all

Ps:// no intention to say anyone else’s room is crap/ lousy. Just sharing what’s possible.

Offline Lam1n1n

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2019, 10:04 »
Thanks Bryan.  This is the second time I experience your system, and I am glad I did and thank you for the opportunity given me to hear and feel the sound from a well set-up system.  Your new big screen with front heights and centre sound coming behind it, certainly added to the immersive experience.  The multitude of sound I can feel and hear from your system with such wonderful timing and short decay, is amazing.  Stunning clarity and punch! I will not be able to do the type of room treatment you are able to do, to my living room nor will I be allowed to put an 18% sub in the living room.  You actually managed to place your four 18% stacked nicely in two places, still a sight but not overly intrusive because of the space you have.  Listening to your system at -20dB to -25dB will be right for me.  The ULF truly made my hair stood.  Can really feel the plane whoosh past in Unbroken, and the low 8Hz of Hulk thump – made me wonder how Gozilla thump should sound like.  Listening ULF with the other higher frequencies at -10db to -15dB for prolonged period is too much for me, especially in my system, when there is no room treatment to bring better decay to the louder frequencies (like what Rayleh wrote), fun momentarily but will be too much over a prolonged period.  Yes, it is personal preference.

After hearing and feeling your system, it encourages me to try to push my current set-up to see how much I can go further on it.  Can never achieve the below 15Hz that your subwoofer easily did, but let see once I get familiar with REW and successfully set-up DDRC 24, how much my two Starke Sub36 can do.  But have to find the time for this. 

Thanks Bryan for your hospitality.  It’s really nice to meet other brothers with same interests.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 15:36 by Lam1n1n »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2019, 13:28 »
Yes by now U guys would have an idea, the difference between loudness and quality. Gain is just a setting for preference . In all the demos I have done, be it softer or louder, the energy decays off the same, that is the key point I wanted to highlight. When the energies decay off the same, the gain settings is just a tool for loudness. U will notice even when I cranked it to -10, the energy dissipates fast, the results are clean, tight sounding bass. When the room has issues, when the loudness goes up, this area will get very annoying

You will also notice that I focus a lot on the details, the plane whooshing past, the water splashing, etc, every detail matches the on screen action. I’m not so into the SPLs, but more into the texture and the physchoacoustic bass steering . The centre behind the AT screen also makes it very immersive, as u have experienced.

At least all of u will now have an idea, this is something u cannot experience in the cinema, it’s very different because I drill down to the micro detail and settings to Ensure everything is as good or fully taken advantage of.

The ULF on the seatons is also lovely, the hair stand part is what made me get the seatons in the first place. Good that all of u get to experience BEQ, bass EQ and what this ULF is all about.

You will also realise it doesn’t annoy the neighbours. It’s not the frequency that gets u in trouble with neighbours , 30-45hz ones are the ones that gets u in trouble with everything rattling

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2019, 18:08 »
Thanks for having me. 2nd time I visited and this time round it is definitely not disappointing.

In terms of SQ,
Mid bass, center vocal, ULF was the center of attraction that's for sure.

One thing I realised is the sound panning.. compared to the first visit, I still prefer the panning of the sound the first time I visited... Perhaps it's the toeing in of the fronts. Not significant since it's my very own pref, but I do rem vividly the difference between the 1st and 2nd visit.

ULF and mids are AWESOME!!! I confirmed I won't be able to differentiate a real roller coaster ride if I close my eyes IF you have a demo of 1st person view demoing a person sitting on a roller coaster. Yup that's how good it is.

The decays are extremely good! Comes and goes. Period. No unnecessary "noise"

The center, sounded like you got sucked into the movie. 3 words "hou geng wooor" lol

As for the PQ, stick to what you have calibrated... Forget about the out of the box. Though I can't forget the OLED TV you used to demo on my first visit, but it's still OLED TV after all. For the PQ screen and projection, it already out performed the rest of the projector of the same value based on what you have calibrated :)

Overall experience is definitely thumbs up. Worth the visit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 18:47 by winwinc81 »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2019, 19:13 »
Too bad couldn’t play back some music for the first session. Yea u gotta sit at the centre to enjoy the full effects, once u sit at the sides, it will lose a bit of the imaging, perfect if u were to sit in the exact centre, then the bubble will feel complete. Unfortunately there is only one golden seat but 3 of u... lotsa difference the centre seat. I think djackblackfm was seated at the centre!

Glad u guys enjoyed, and experienced BEQ and ulf, imagine hulk footsteps at 8hz! Crazy... the ulf feeling quite syok

The HDR image still looks a bit dark on the “ a quiet place” scene, still some fine tuning to perfect it. But overall I think yesterday’s session was the best, because before that I was still doing some micro adjustments here and there.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2019, 19:16 »
Too bad couldn’t play back some music for the first session. Yea u gotta sit at the centre to enjoy the full effects, once u sit at the sides, it will lose a bit of the imaging, perfect if u were to sit in the exact centre, then the bubble will feel complete. Unfortunately there is only one golden seat but 3 of u... lotsa difference the centre seat. I think djackblackfm was seated at the centre!

Glad u guys enjoyed, and experienced BEQ and ulf, imagine hulk footsteps at 8hz! Crazy... the ulf feeling quite syok

The HDR image still looks a bit dark on the “ a quiet place” scene, still some fine tuning to perfect it. But overall I think yesterday’s session was the best, because before that I was still doing some micro adjustments here and there.
Yeah, the down side of time alignment. Only a golden seat!

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline HDTV_noobie

« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2019, 22:16 »
Brian, thank you for the wonderful demo at your place. 

Room was set up really nicely with low noise floor and the details really stand out.  The ULF with the choppers really had my hair 'standing' not to mention the equally impressive hulk's 8Hz thumping steps and the plane whooshing from left to right in "Unbroken".  "True Legend' fight scenes and water splashing from the fight were equally impressive.  I liked these nuances in the detail too.  Voice imaging was great with center speaker behind the screen.  We were lucky to be able to hear music from your system and made some discovery. :)

Really appreciate your sharing and saw how we can recreate ULF and its 'weighty' impact even in our home setting.  Time spent was truly worthwhile, not forgetting the opportunity to meet up and also learn from the other bros (Lam and Lawrence).

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2019, 08:42 »
Brian, thank you for the wonderful demo at your place. 

Room was set up really nicely with low noise floor and the details really stand out.  The ULF with the choppers really had my hair 'standing' not to mention the equally impressive hulk's 8Hz thumping steps and the plane whooshing from left to right in "Unbroken".  "True Legend' fight scenes and water splashing from the fight were equally impressive.  I liked these nuances in the detail too.  Voice imaging was great with center speaker behind the screen.  We were lucky to be able to hear music from your system and made some discovery. :)

Really appreciate your sharing and saw how we can recreate ULF and its 'weighty' impact even in our home setting.  Time spent was truly worthwhile, not forgetting the opportunity to meet up and also learn from the other bros (Lam and Lawrence).

Hey bro, Glad u enjoyed the session, and made new friends along the way. For HT what I’m really after is the bass articulation, the details and the physchoacoustic bass steering , which u guys have all experienced, leaf moving in circles, plane moving left to right, water splashing, all these energy tracks the on screen actions and decays very fast + that centre channel behind AT, makes it very immersive.

So I’m sharing and hope that u guys are able to enjoy and understand what is possible in a HDB home. Then comes WAF and compromise. We would just have to make do sometimes, but at least u will know how it can be done to take it up to the next level

With second session was better as u guys were swapping around seats testing the different effects and picking up all the points, thanks for sharing on the music side of things, good observation

Too bad I don’t have time to further demo the benq 5700 on Lion king or Tekno3d video testing.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2019, 08:50 »
That chopper hair standing scene in lone survivor was playing back at 6hz 130db

Hulk footsteps 8hz, can feel the weight as it approaches abomination, that’s played at 130db also.I love the hulk footsteps scenes, the feeling is so good. Compared when I watch in the room with my son on the OLED tv speakers... no feel... hahaha

Then comes the plane whooshing scene in unbroken, that’s 10hz at 135db with bassEQ on

U guys will also notice that with bass eq, the tonal balance is there, much better weight, and without it, it’s presence is missing. the whole scene just transforms to a different movie again when we turned on BEQ. Switching and comparing to and forth, it is easier to understand that feeling

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2019, 10:46 »
That chopper hair standing scene in lone survivor was playing back at 6hz 130db

Hulk footsteps 8hz, can feel the weight as it approaches abomination, that’s played at 130db also.I love the hulk footsteps scenes, the feeling is so good. Compared when I watch in the room with my son on the OLED tv speakers... no feel... hahaha

Then comes the plane whooshing scene in unbroken, that’s 10hz at 135db with bassEQ on

U guys will also notice that with bass eq, the tonal balance is there, much better weight, and without it, it’s presence is missing. the whole scene just transforms to a different movie again when we turned on BEQ. Switching and comparing to and forth, it is easier to understand that feeling

Hi Bryan.  Do you happen to know the weighted SPL when watching such video clips ? Just for my reference I like to know how much softer I am playing while watching movies on the average.

Offline keai

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18 »
Hi Roni, i admire your enthusiasms on driving perfection on HT to micro details, however, I remember your center speaker is not the same as main LR speakers, while usually the recommended way is to keep LRC the same when the speakers are behind the screen, would you mind to share the reason why you didnt pursue this path?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39 »
Hi Bryan.  Do you happen to know the weighted SPL when watching such video clips ? Just for my reference I like to know how much softer I am playing while watching movies on the average.

Look at Z weighting, db(z)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2019, 12:50 »
Hi Roni, i admire your enthusiasms on driving perfection on HT to micro details, however, I remember your center speaker is not the same as main LR speakers, while usually the recommended way is to keep LRC the same when the speakers are behind the screen, would you mind to share the reason why you didnt pursue this path?

Hi Keai,

U r right, if only I could have another GX300 as the centre speaker, I would do it. Instead, I went with the existing GXC350 “matching” centre speakers. The design is not as good as a single gx300, but they are the best match for the mains. Reason why I didn’t change is cos of $$$

If I had to change that centre, I would have changed LCR to the M&K in wall 300 series, those speakers are fantastic for HT. My TOP choice for HT . Second in line will be the JBL pro series, they have good timing response but sonic character still M&K. If I take this route, then surrounds, back , atmos all gotta follow suit.

At the moment the entire system is on monitor audio, so no intention to change. If I change one if it, then have to consider changing the rest

I try to avoid “rojak” speakers and subs

Offline keai

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2019, 13:00 »
I see, I thought there are other reasons behind, since you focused so much on details, and have spent hefty on the overall system,

anyway, i agree with you that changing speakers is not a simple move, needs to consider a lot of factors....

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2019, 13:06 »
I see, I thought there are other reasons behind, since you focused so much on details, and have spent hefty on the overall system,

anyway, i agree with you that changing speakers is not a simple move, needs to consider a lot of factors....

Yes correct, I’m running 7.8.8, so that’s 15 speakers to change! Lol

Sometimes u just have to live with what’s available, especially when $ is involved, the cost doesn’t justify an entire overhaul. Will it be significantly better ? Not really I suppose, but there will be difference. Overall stil happy with the MA, very hard to justify the switch. So these sort of stuff, Is down to individual evaluation.