Author Topic: Demo and catch up Session at Roni's Place  (Read 8429 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Demo and catch up Session at Roni's Place
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2019, 10:16 »
Ok side track a bit, some updates to the power sockets and dedicated line today, quick one day job. these will go into the baffle wall...

Here is the one I’m using, Hubble from USA

Here is another cheaper version available, from China, both Hubble, but quality is different

The power cables will go through the false ceiling where the rockwool sits, luckily there is a bit of air gap for bass trap previously, so it’s easier to slot it through

Power cable in use would be the one from Belden 83803, obtained directly from SLT

Before the quick works , look at the circuit board

This will go up soon, toghether with frank PE35, that will then be the dedicated line for the HT system

2 separate lines, one for source , one for the power amplifiers, so if the one connected to power amp trips, the other will not trip... clear segregation even within the 2 lines , one meant for source, one meant for power amplifier

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2019, 12:33 »
1/2 day job, completed . Pull the line from main, segregation with another CB, PE35, no switch no fuse, direct high current, Hubble USA connectors USA plug, separate for amplifiers and source... done

This thing can follow me when if I decide to move house, but chances are not, there to stay for next 10 years at least

Ta daaaaa

Before covering

After cover

Can’t wait to fire it up soon!! I have the whole afternoon today, some cleaning up work, not too bad

Then it’s down to demo for music, testing

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2019, 13:04 »
Roni, u worked from home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2019, 07:55 »
Roni, u worked from home?

On leave yesterday , psle marking,  haha ... observing how the electricians were mounting the cables etc, very experienced Uncle.... but haven’t had the time to test... will test today, just nice in time for one quick 2 hr demo tomorrow

Somehow all the Uncle Uncle all very experienced

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2019, 08:02 »
On leave yesterday , psle marking,  haha ... observing how the electricians were mounting the cables etc, very experienced Uncle.... but haven’t had the time to test... will test today, just nice in time for one quick 2 hr demo tomorrow

Somehow all the Uncle Uncle all very experienced
Soon we all will also become experience to the padawan(s) around this forum 10,20 years down the road too lol

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2019, 10:22 »
Reporting time over over ! Roger roger !

Last night tested it quite late, had to make sure all the cables are plugged in, fitted and organised and made sure turning on sequence of power is correct etc.

Thank god all good, and I was looking forward to listening. So then I fired up the system

To my surprise, the main home page on the Oppo screen looked crystal clear and sharp. I couldn’t see any noise and the pic doesn’t have that grainy look no more

Immediately I went like wow, so much electrical noise cleared ! Despite having a plixir elite 3000 that I thought was more than adequate to clean up the power supply.

Then I zoomed in straight to this music, carpenters 1960s, that I demoed recently. Not really a music guy, but it’s late and music is the best

Using the Oppo to control

Immediately, instantly evident was the clear separation of instrument and vocals, Super clear, almost as if a secondary source is coming from the surrounds , other than ability to hear the saliva and breath, what impressed me was the segregation of details, down to the single beat. Bass was very very tight and fast

Somehow the normal volume levels seems softer, and I can Crank up the volume by 3db easily and still doesn’t feel loud. Much darker background effect

Overall I’d rate it as 30% improvement with the frank PE35 and dedicated line. Not sure which one had the bigger impact, since I did it at the same time. But boy it’s damn worth it !

Then came my favourite test vocal centre channel clip, Prometheus scene

Very familiar with this scene, in the past some of us use it to test the power cords and cables etc, by repeating this scene, oh Charlie scene

Again to my surprise, it’s the first time I’m hearing sound of wind from this rain drop scene. Normally I’ll just hear the rain drops. This time I can hear clear separation of rain dropping down, followed by a second source of sound of wind through that tunnel , never heard before. Makes u realise instantly that it’s only natural to have rain + wind at the same time. So it brought out a sense of realism, feels better

Amazing, it just gets better and better, really top of the world now

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2019, 20:11 »
Brian, thanks for hosting me. I have to say you have indeed a very good HT set up, quiet, clean vocal, very good separation and surround and very good tactile and balanced top to bottom base end, in other words, you have achieved the ‘Shiok’ factor and that’s the reward for spending so much time tweaking your system. You can now spend your time watching the dramas and movies with your family, I certainly will if I am in your shoes now ;D

Personally, I would move my viewing position from the screen to around 4 to 4.5 meters to achieve better immersive feel and lessen eye strain. Only caveat I have is the soundstage on the right is limited due to the walled curtain and which you can’t do anything about it...nothing is perfect, so ENJOY ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 15:29 by francis wu »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2019, 14:07 »
Francis, fantastic meet up with u, niv and den! Very fruitful 3hr session, u r really the Lau Jiao, straight away can tell pros and cons. I took time to understand the deficiencies on the right,but u picked it up in mere 3hrs , really pro!

Very nice exchanges and views, very thankful for your tips and guidance for improvement, Glad u enjoyed and was very nice chatting with everyone

I havent tried gaming on HDR , nivlahog mentioned it’s quite good, will get there soon.

Exactly spot on, it’s time to enjoy the fruits of the labour , so much hard work spent into understanding my room and equipment, I’m finally a happy man, Very satisfied  now

Thank you for your time, taking the effort to come all the way , was a great catch up after so Long. Till we meet again

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2019, 22:24 »
Demo Session 5 to resume 10th Nov'19 Sunday

10th Nov (Sunday)- 2pm to 5.30pm

2-3.30pm
1. Djblackfm
2. Stephensim
3. Winthur

3.30-5pm
4. Fooklai
5. Lam1n1in
6. HDTV_noobie

I’ll see you guys soon !

24th Nov confirmed
1. Skate
2. KennyLuck2000
3. Droid
4. HT.Chua
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 15:28 by ronildoq »

Offline ht.chua

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2019, 00:26 »

2-3.30pm
1. Djblackfm
2. Droid
3. Winthur

3.30-5pm
4. Fooklai
5. Lam1n1in
6. HDTV_noobie

I’ll see you guys soon !

24th Nov confirmed
1. Skate
2. KennyLuck2000
3. HT Chua

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05 »
HTCHUA, I’ll include u in on the 24th nov session

Now that I’ve got HDR10 calibration right on the BenQ 5700, I’ll demo the Tekno3d movie files. These movie files are specially tone mapped on the source file itself. It has very good dynamic HDR, they term it HDR-X , the equivalent of HDR10+ / Dolby vision. Color grading is very good, skin tones look very natural and life like. These source files when played back on an OLED tv, will display video qualities that are second to none

Very good source material, even better than the original disc. Now that I’ve got the settings correct, I’ll demo this for the November session

In the journey from the previous 4 sessions, here are the key takeaways and advise by various

1) shelving of upper frequencies >8000khz with 0.7q ( adjusted from -6 to -1.5db)
2) surround backs originally louder by 2.5db (adjusted to 1.5db)
3) centre channel louder by 2db (adjusted to 1.2db)
4) mains at reference (adjusted downwards -0.5db)
5) front heights +2.5db up to +3db
6) TOP centre Atmos +2db down to +1db
7) tweaked HDR10 settings to copy the exact calibrated SDR settings—>big success
8) rack to unstack the MP50 and Oppo 205 (WIP, divini TOTO racks come to mind)

The mains from the front 3 are very dominant due to the smt wings panels sitting behind the AT screen. tilting downwards the levels slightly to balance the boat

With the various rounds of demo, I can better appreciate and refine the system further, as the scenes are played back several times and with the ability to rinse and repeat the same scene, I can now better decide on the refinements

Offline ht.chua

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2019, 18:08 »
Thank you.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2019, 08:55 »

2-3.30pm
1. Djblackfm
2. Stephensim changed to Rayleh as Step not able to attend
3. Winthur

3.30-5pm
4. Fooklai  changed to Boxerfan88 as Fooklai not able to attend
5. Lam1n1in
6. HDTV_noobie

I’ll see you guys tomorrow

24th Nov confirmed
1. Skate
2. KennyLuck2000
3. Droid
4. HT.Chua
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 14:00 by ronildoq »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2019, 19:33 »
Bryan, thank you for hosting us.

You’ve a very impressive room, super low noise floor really bring out the audio details. The HT audio bubble was very immersive & impressive!

The bass was amazing! I don’t think I can achieve that (fitting 4 x 18” subs) in my small den.

Thanks for showing us what can be achieved in a home.

Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline rayleh

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2019, 19:43 »
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for hosting us. I agreed that the noise floor is indeed impressively low and the bass is equally impressive. With my living setup, I will never be able to replicate that but at least I have a benchmark now. This is my first time I went for house audit. Last but not least, it was a pleasure to know some of the fellow bros here. If Pete listens to -30db, I listen to -40db. That's how soft I listen to. With no room treatment, I find it fatigue to listen loud.