Author Topic: The Wide Color Gamut thread  (Read 326 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
The Wide Color Gamut thread
« on: August 28, 2019, 23:05 »
I've had my BenQ W2700 for a while and have some thoughts about the Wide Color Gamut (WCG) filter that is on many projectors and which allows them to display the wider range of colors in the P3 color space. I'm told that light output drops about 50%, so the question is whether it is worthwhile to see the additional colors. After watching two colorful movies - Aquaman and Alita:Battle Angel - all the way and turning WCG on and off, I can say that WCG is a game changer. Although the image is much brighter with WCG off, wide colorful expanses (like the ocean depths in Aquaman) look so much more beautiful when the filter is on. In some ways, I can't believe that for so many years I was watching such a limited number of colors. I hope they reissue Avatar in HDR because that film is already amazing in the Rec709 color space, it should be out of this world in P3.

Because I don't have a bat cave, this, of course, means that I can only watch at night if I want to see the full range of colors. Because the BenQ has the ability to flip the filter on and off, if I watch during the day, I will turn the filter off to get the additional brightness. However, if I can, I will always enable WCG. I wonder what the rest of you do? Also, do you notice that most of the time, the color temperature gets cooler when you enable WCG?

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
Re: The Wide Color Gamut thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 23:25 »
I also own W2700 like you and totally agree with your view.

Watching Black Panther, Venom, Alita and Mortal Engine UHD, the color is really breathtaking in P3.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 08:14 »
Wide Color gamut is indeed very nice for 4K HDR source. It produces a more cinematic experience. Yes, WCG seems cooler hence I lower color temp to compensate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:36 by kaydee6 »

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:08 »
kaydee6, thanks. I will try altering the color temp to compensate. Not that it bothers me, but if it looks better...