Author Topic: Audyssey Calibration Workshop 2019 (3rd-Run)...  (Read 2666 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Audyssey Calibration Workshop 2019 (3rd-Run)...
« on: August 18, 2019, 22:47 »
I will be conducting the 3rd run of the Audyssey Calibration Workshop from next month onwards. Unfortunately I am unable to conduct as many sessions as I would like it to be compared to the previous runs. There will be only be one session per month till end of the year. The dates of the sessions will be revealed soon but I hope to kickstart sometime in early Sep tentatively. For those interested to join the workshop, you may register your interest with me via PM (kindly state the month you preferred). Watch out for this thread for more details in the next 2 weeks...

Why the session?
It appears to me that there is a lot of members, regardless whether you're a noobie or even "old bird" having problems with their Audyssey calibration. Despite putting up a thread sharing the tips in getting the Audyssey calibration done right the first time...it is not able to help the members with their calibration woes. I am going to conduct a half day workshop at one of the member's place to show you how it should be carried out - the proper way. I will share with you the tips and the underlying fundamentals to get it right the first time so that you can get consistently good results always.

Who should attend?
This session targets at members (max 2 pax/session) who have the following issues:
1) Poor surround effects...
2) Poor bass performance...
3) Poor dialogue channel...
4) My HT multi-channel experience sucks BIG TIME! and I'm at my wits end!!!

Pre-requisites
1) Need to have a AVR or Pre/Pro with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (rather obvious since this is going to be Audyssey calibration session. Brands like Denon & Marantz)
2) Be willing to provide a brief description of your issues - e.g. Poor bass performance
3) Be receptive to make some "changes" like subwoofer placement and even speaker displacement

Sep & Oct sessions
1. 7 Sep 19 (Sat) - session held at Lam1n1n's place (Completed)
2. 28 Sep 19 (Sat) - (extra session) - session cancelled (due to pink eyes)
3. 19 Oct 19 (Sat) - session held at Morgan's place (Completed)[/b]
4. 26 Oct 19 (Sat) - (kingajit & winwinc81)

Read up the sticky threads on top of this forum before attending the session.

Some members have had asked about the topics of interest that will be covered at the workshop and here's a rundown of the list of things that I will be covering.

Placement of the Speakers + Subwoofer(s) + Main Listening Position (Pre-Calibration) 
• Talk about room modes - dimension and standing waves
• Where should I seat? (Obey the 2/3 rules)
• Where & how to place your speakers
• Height speakers, Elevation speakers or Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers for "Object-based" sound mix) 
• Where and how to place your subwoofer(s)

Calibration Process + Audyssey Settings
• Audyssey mic placement - Importance of 1st position
• Subwoofer levelling (Make or Break)
• Do at least 6 positions. All 8, if possible
• After-calibration results - What to look out for
• Review the Distance, Level & Crossover settings
• Audyssey Reference vs Flat, which is the one for me?
• Dynamic Volume vs Dialog Enhancer
• Dolby Atmos effect optimization

Subwoofer Optimization (Post-Calibration)
• Polarity and Phase optimization (No REW required)

Demo-Session

Note: This is NOT a "practical session" but rather more of a sharing session where I will answer all your queries related to Audyssey calibrations. In order for your to benefit from these sessions, I will urge you to do your homework first before the workshop, otherwise it will be a wasted trip. Make full use of this opportunity to learn and ask.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 20:43 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:46 »
Just to be clear, this workshop is meant for Audyssey users using MultEQ XT32, hence priority will be given to those with this particular Audyssey release. Those using the older Audyssey releases will be politely rejected.

Pls state in your PM to confirm that you are using Audyssey otherwise it will be a wasted trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:55 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Re: Audyssey Calibration Workshop 2019 (3rd-Run)...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 12:00 »
Updated with dates and time for the Sep & Oct sessions (refer to first post for details). In the event that I am unable to conduct to make it, I will notify the members at least 1 day in advance, otherwise, it will be a go.

For Nov and Dec slots, I am thinking of having the sessions at member's place so that we can have a more hand-on approach to the session. Depending on the member (who will be playing host) on whether he allow other members to join in the session as well. Member(s) willing to invite me and other members to your place for the Nov or Dec session, pls pm me.

The Sep and Oct sessions will be focused more on interactions and sharing, hence the group will preferably be au fait with Audyssey for the session to be more meaningful. So if you prefer to be in the Oct & Nov session and want to do a switch, do let me know via pm.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:02 by desray »

Offline ecpaye

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 00:10 »
Sep - Full (Lam1n1n & Morgan)
Oct - Full (HDTV_noobie & winwinc81)
Nov - 2 slots
Dec - 2 slots

Hi Desray,

I'm using the XT32. would like to attend the Nov session. tq cheers

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 06:30 »
Hi Desray,

I'm using the XT32. would like to attend the Nov session. tq cheers

Ok.

Offline kingajit

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 20:13 »
Hi Desray,
Please include me for the next available audyssey multieq xt 32 session, thanks
Ajit
AVR : Denon 7200 WA,
Fronts : Monitor audio GX 300
Centre : Monitor Audio  GX 350
Surrounds : Monitor Audio GX100
Back Surrounds : Monitor Audio Radius
Atmos Front & Rear : Deftec Pro 1000
Subwoofer: HSU ULS-15 MK2 and JL E112
DA & T stereo amp for Front speakers
Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 monoblock for Centre speaker
Marantz power amp for surrounds and back surrounds
Marantz power amp for four Atmos overhead speakers
Oppo 203 blu ray player
JVC projector x7000,
Carada screen 235:1 110 inches

Offline e24djenggos

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 20:36 »
Bro Desray, i hv to ur place 3 yrs ago. I need refresher. Am still with xt32

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 21:02 »
Hi Desray,
Please include me for the next available audyssey multieq xt 32 session, thanks
Ajit

Bro Desray, i hv to ur place 3 yrs ago. I need refresher. Am still with xt32

Ok.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49 »
Nov - Full (ecpaye & kingajit)
Dec - Full (e24djenggos & pcking)

All slots taken. Pls do not pm me anymore.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 07:23 »

I have received a request from HDTV_noobie to change his session from Oct to Sep session. Can I check whether Lam1n1n or Morgan is fine to do a swap with bro HDTV_noobie?

Pls let me know. Thks.

Offline MORGAN

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:47 »
I am OK to swop.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51 »
I am OK to swop.

Ok thanks.

HDTV_noobie, pls take note.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 11:53 »
Sep - Full (Lam1n1n & HDTV_noobie)
Oct - Full (Morgan & winwinc81)

Offline e24djenggos

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 13:38 »
Sep - Full (Lam1n1n & HDTV_noobie)

Many thanks bro Desray🙏🙏

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 13:58 »
I just read the thread why so fast full?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HDTV_noobie

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 19:55 »
I am OK to swop.

Thanks bro!  Appreciate it :).

Offline HDTV_noobie

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 19:56 »
Ok thanks.

HDTV_noobie, pls take note.

Noted.  Thanks for accomodating!

Offline HDTV_noobie

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 01:38 »
Had to give up this Sat slot due to some personal emergencies.  Please accept my sincere apologies.

Those interested to take up please PM bro Desray for his confirmation.

Thanks.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 06:24 »
Had to give up this Sat slot due to some personal emergencies.  Please accept my sincere apologies.

Those interested to take up please PM bro Desray for his confirmation.

Thanks.

No apology needed.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:20 »
Sep - 1 slot avail (Lam1n1n & HDTV_noobie)

I still have 1 more slot for tmr's session if anyone interested.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 11:44 »
I will be dropping by Lam1n1n's place later today since today's session, he is the only participant. I will still consider this Sep session as completed.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 20:14 »
Sep session completed. Lam1n1n, hoped you learn something from the hands-on session today.

Offline Lam1n1n

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 01:01 »
Thank Desray for coming over.  Though I have attended one of your sessions three years ago at your place, it is nothing like having you run through the calibration with me on my own system. 

In the process, I learned a few things where I have not done correctly during calibration in the past. These include not shifting any furniture during the calibration, setting the subwoofer to an appropriate level and not hesitating to re-run the entire calibration, when the after-calibration results showed unfavorable levels for the subwoofers. 

We tried experimenting with shifting the subwoofers a few more inches to slightly over a foot from the walls, pushing the limit of Wife Acceptance Factor.  We manually adjusted cross-overs and the levels of the ceiling speakers, switched off Mid-Range Compensation and tried Dialog Enhancer etc.  Desray even run REW (although not supposed to be a part of this calibration workshop) to showed me the resultant SPL of my two subwoofers.  Time flew, and Desray stayed longer than expected.  Although we did not manage to complete the phase adjust because of the way I have used pre-outs to DSpeakers and a Stereo integrated Amp for my LR front speakers, we did manage to sit back and enjoy the sound improvement from all the effort. 

It was a good session, as my objective to try to optimize the use of Audyssey Calibration to work within the limit of my imperfect Living Room without any room treatment is fulfilled.

I suspect there will be further improvement once I re-run Audyssey Calibration after re-calibrating my DSpeaker (as we did not have the time to re-run it after the shifting of the subwoofers)

I appreciate very much the time spent by Desray and his willingness to share.  Thanks Brother.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 08:11 »
Thank Desray for coming over.  Though I have attended one of your sessions three years ago at your place, it is nothing like having you run through the calibration with me on my own system. 

In the process, I learned a few things where I have not done correctly during calibration in the past. These include not shifting any furniture during the calibration, setting the subwoofer to an appropriate level and not hesitating to re-run the entire calibration, when the after-calibration results showed unfavorable levels for the subwoofers. 

We tried experimenting with shifting the subwoofers a few more inches to slightly over a foot from the walls, pushing the limit of Wife Acceptance Factor.  We manually adjusted cross-overs and the levels of the ceiling speakers, switched off Mid-Range Compensation and tried Dialog Enhancer etc.  Desray even run REW (although not supposed to be a part of this calibration workshop) to showed me the resultant SPL of my two subwoofers.  Time flew, and Desray stayed longer than expected.  Although we did not manage to complete the phase adjust because of the way I have used pre-outs to DSpeakers and a Stereo integrated Amp for my LR front speakers, we did manage to sit back and enjoy the sound improvement from all the effort. 

It was a good session, as my objective to try to optimize the use of Audyssey Calibration to work within the limit of my imperfect Living Room without any room treatment is fulfilled.

I suspect there will be further improvement once I re-run Audyssey Calibration after re-calibrating my DSpeaker (as we did not have the time to re-run it after the shifting of the subwoofers)

I appreciate very much the time spent by Desray and his willingness to share.  Thanks Brother.

You are most welcome. You have a very room dimension with very good ceiling height that do Atmos effects very well. Some of the limitation that HDB dwellers like us envy. Remember tools like miniDSP, DSPeaker etc are complementary tools, not a panacea to all kinds audio problems.

70% of a successful HT implementation derives from proper speaker placement with more emphasis placed on subwoofers. Audyssey is usually spot-on calibration results for speakers, the problem usually lies with subwoofers (which you did not do a good job integrating with the speaker arrays).

The remaining 30% comes from room-EQ like using Audyssey to help resolve some of the room mode issues. Anything that cannot be resolved by Audyssey despite following proper speaker/subwoofer placement are mostly “room related” and there is nothing much Audyssey can do at this point. However you can still experiment with moving the speakers (like toe-in towards the listening position), furniture or even your sofa/couch a few inches to the front or back can greatly minimise any negative room node effects. Use REW to verify the frequency response and then once satisfied, re-do Audyssey calibration to dial in.

If after moving around stuff and listening position still don’t help, then you can resort to room treatment (which you don’t have) like the use of absorber acoustic panels or bass traps at the corners but just make sure that you don’t over do it lest the room becomes too “dead”. How do you tell? Simple, clap your hands a few times and walk around to pick up any reverberations. If there is, place the panel near there. I can’t emphasise enough the importance of having “proper amount” of silence and liveliness that need to co-exist within the listening area to truly make your HT experience comes alive and take in a more “cinematic” grandeur. 

Now that you know the basics, you can bring up your game to the next level without the need to rely on external help. Hope to see you contribute more to the forum and help other members with similar encounter in the Audyssey calibration journey.

Cheers.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 22:36 »
I will be holding an "extra session" for this coming Sat (28 Sep 19) from 1pm onwards. For those interested, you can drop me a PM. As usual, I can only accommodate 2 pax due to my small room. I reserve the right to cancel this ad-hoc session if I have other commitment on that day but rest assured that you will be notified 1 day before.

Please read the first post in this thread on what the session is all about.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:50 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 06:49 »
Sep #1 - Completed
Sep #2 - Cancelled (due to pink eyes)
Nov - 1 slot left (ecpaye)

Interested party, PM me.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:29 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 07:28 »
Today’s session (28 Sep 19) has been cancelled by me due to my “pink eyes” (conjunctivitis) which can be contagious. To prevent the virus from spreading to the members (kingajit and justDaniel), I have decided to do the right thing - i.e. to cancel the session. My apologies, do watch out for any extra session which I may have in Oct.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 12:27 »
Some members have had asked about the topics of interest that will be covered at the workshop and here's a rundown of the list of things that I will be covering.

Placement of the Speakers + Subwoofer(s) + Main Listening Position (Pre-Calibration) 
• Talk about room modes - dimension and standing waves
• Where should I seat? (Obey the 2/3 rules)
• Where & how to place your speakers
• Height speakers, Elevation speakers or Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers for "Object-based" sound mix) 
• Where and how to place your subwoofer(s)

Calibration Process + Audyssey Settings
• Audyssey mic placement - Importance of 1st position
• Subwoofer levelling (Make or Break)
• Do at least 6 positions. All 8, if possible
• After-calibration results - What to look out for
• Review the Distance, Level & Crossover settings
• Audyssey Reference vs Flat, which is the one for me?
• Dynamic Volume vs Dialog Enhancer
• Dolby Atmos effect optimization

Subwoofer Optimization (Post-Calibration)
• Polarity and Phase optimization (No REW required)

Demo-Session

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 20:08 »
Oct session updated (see first post in this thread for details)

For those who are unable to make it, pls let me know soonest via pm and I’ll remove you from the session to allow other member to take your place.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 21:41 »
This Sat (19 Oct), there is one more slot avail for those interested, pm me.

Offline ecpaye

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 23:59 »
Hi desray,

My slot is Nov (ecpaye), can i join this Sat,19 Oct 19?

Cheers!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 06:09 »
Hi desray,

My slot is Nov (ecpaye), can i join this Sat,19 Oct 19?

Cheers!

Ok. Your Nov slot will be taken over by Stephensim.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:13 by desray »

Offline ecpaye

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 20:41 »
Hi Desray,

Noted tq.

Offline ecpaye

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 20:52 »
Ok. Your Nov slot will be taken over by Stephensim.

Hi Desray,

Can PM u address n time of session start. Tq

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 21:34 »
For tmr's session (19 Oct 19), I will like to take a vote on where to conduct. Morgan and ecpaye...let me know whether you want me to conduct the workshop at either one of your place or at my place in Yishun. You guys take a vote and decide. If I'm going to either of your place, the timing will be around 2.30pm else it will be 1.30pm at my place.

Let me know your decision.

Offline ecpaye

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 22:30 »
Hi Desray,

If Morgan is ok i can join your at his place. If not convenience you place at Yishun will he good.

Cheers!

PS: My place not fully equip yet, therefore will not be able to run the session.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 22:43 »
Hi Desray,

If Morgan is ok i can join your at his place. If not convenience you place at Yishun will he good.

Cheers!

PS: My place not fully equip yet, therefore will not be able to run the session.

Ok noted.

Let's go to Morgan's place then. Morgan, pls send your full address to me and ecpaye via PM. Time will be around 2.30pm. Morgan, how big is your place? if you are able to accomodate more members to join in the session, do sound out here. Otherwise, only myself and ecpaye will be there.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 22:47 by desray »

Offline ecpaye

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 22:08 »
I would like thanks Desray (conducting) and Morgan (hosting) this workshop.

Cheers!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 22:18 »
I would like thanks Desray (conducting) and Morgan (hosting) this workshop.

Cheers!

You are welcome...hopefully you can apply what you have learned today for your system.