Author Topic: Football great Emlyn Hughes dies  (Read 2019 times)

Offline lewlian

• Trade Count: (0)
Football great Emlyn Hughes dies
« on: November 09, 2004, 19:02 »
Former England and Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes has died from a brain tumour at the age of 57.
Hughes earned 62 caps for the national team and led Liverpool to a string of honours while at the Anfield club.

He helped the club to four league titles, two European Cups, an FA Cup victory and two Uefa Cup titles.

Hughes was the first player to lift the European Cup for Liverpool after the victory over Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1977.

An OBE, he was famed for his bubbly and livewire personality and was nicknamed Crazy Horse.

Hughes was a midfielder who converted to centre-back and was signed for Liverpool by Bill Shankly for £65,000 from Blackpool in 1967.

He left Liverpool for Wolves in 1979 for £90,000 and also went on to play for Rotherham, Hull City, Mansfield Town and Swansea City.

Hughes had been battling a brain tumour for the last 15 months but his condition deteriorated in the last few days.

His wife Barbara said: "He died at his home in Sheffield with his family around him."
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline YWNWA

• THIS IS ANFIELD
Re: Football great Emlyn Hughes dies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 14:12 »
      Birthdate:  28.08.1947
      Birthplace:  Barrow-in Furness, England
      Other clubs:  Blackpool, Wolves, Rotherham, Hull, Mansfield, Swansea
      Bought from:  Blackpool
      Signed for LFC :  £65,000 February 1967
      International debut:  18.04.1970 vs. Wales
      International caps:  England 62/1
      Liverpool debut:  04.03.1967
      Contract expiry:  August 1979
      LFC league games/goals:  474 / 35
      Total LFC games/goals:  665 / 49

Player Notes:
Shanks saw Emlyn play in one of his first games for Blackpool and offered 25,000 pounds for him immediately. He got his man the following season for a considerably higher fee. Kop took him quickly to his hearts and he got the nickname "Crazy Horse" after he rugby-tackled Newcastle's forward Albert Bennet who was slipping through his grasp in his fifth game for Liverpool.

Emlyn started out as a midfielder and played there until 1973/74 when he moved to centre-half alongside Phil Thompson. They formed an innovative partnership, building Liverpool's attacks from the back by passing to the midfield instead of hoofing the ball upfield. Hughes was made captain instead of Tommy Smith. Hughes' will to win was incredible and he was a great leader on the field. He was voted FWA's player of the year in the 1976/77 season. Hughes was also made England captain and wore the armband in
23 matches, an inspiration on the international scene as well as with Liverpool. Hughes was a truly successful captain, holding aloft; 3
championship titles, the FA cup, the UEFA cup and two European cups. The only cup missing was the League cup, which he won as captain of Wolves in 1980.

Offline YWNWA

• THIS IS ANFIELD
Re: Football great Emlyn Hughes dies
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 15:42 »
The greats of British, and particularly Liverpudlian, football united to say a sad farewell to Emlyn Hughes, the man they called Crazy Horse, on Wednesday afternoon.

Sheffield Cathedral was packed to capacity with almost 2,000 mourners for the funeral of Hughes, who died last week aged 57 from a brain tumour. Thousands of fans, many sporting Liverpool or England shirts, braved the rain outside the cathedral to pay their own tribute to one of English soccer's most loved sons.

Hughes captained Liverpool and England, winning 62 caps for his country, and became the only Englishman to lift the European Cup twice in back-to-back triumphs.

Three former Liverpool managers - Graeme Souness, Kenny Dalglish and Roy Evans - were there to pay their respects, plus Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan, a former team-mate, and a host of former Liverpool legends. World Cup hero Roger Hunt, Ian St John, Ian Callaghan and former assistant manager Phil Thompson swelled the congregation.

The tribute was read by John Toshack, Wales' new manager and Hughes' greatest friend. Toshack and Hughes shared eight glorious seasons at Anfield under Bill Shankly, winning the title three times and the UEFA Cup twice. The pair owned a sports shop together in Southport in those heady days, and Toshack said during his tribute: "Emlyn epitomised everything that Bill Shankly wanted from a Liverpool player.

"The fans had their own song for him, 'come all without, come all within, you'll not see nothing like the mighty Emlyn', from a pop song of the day. And they were right, Emlyn was unique, there was only one of him."Hughes' death also united Merseyside's greatest rivals. Former Everton manager Colin Harvey was there, as well as ex-skipper Peter Reid, Joe Royle, now Ipswich's manager and another former Goodison Park boss.

Peter Robinson, the club secretary who actually signed Hughes from Blackpool for Shankly, sat at the back of the congregation.
Heavy traffic on the M62 delayed the main Liverpool party's coach, and chairman David Moores, chief executive Rick Parry plus a list of former Anfield colleagues, including Steve Heighway, all missed the opening 10 minutes of the service. Other greats from Liverpool's past attending included Jimmy Case, David Johnson, Brian Hall, Willie Stevenson, Dean Saunders, Alan Kennedy, Phil Neal and Chris Lawler.

Another former England captain, Jimmy Armfield, attended along with former Manchester City player and chairman Francis Lee. Also there were ex-players Frank Worthington and Duncan McKenzie as well as former Test umpire Dickie Bird.

Hughes forged a new career in TV after retiring from playing and a spell in management at Rotherham. He became a household name, appearing as a resident team captain in Question of Sport, and the show's presenter at the time David Coleman, was also in the congregation.

Alan Kennedy, a match-winner against Real Madrid in Paris in 1981, remembered the man he replaced in the Liverpool side. After the ceremony Kennedy said: "He was one of the heroes I looked up to. When I wanted to play for England, Emlyn was in my position at left back. I always looked at him and said I wanted to follow in his footsteps. "And I did when I joined Liverpool from Newcastle in '78. In some ways I replaced Emlyn because he was allowed to move on to Wolves and I became the number one left-back.
"I have great memories of him, when I first joined the club. He took me under his wing and said 'OK, if he's going to replace me then I am going to look after him.' "He certainly did that. He was never down, always a bubbly character and a great motivator. He was never a defeatist and felt we could beat anyone and that rubbed off on everyone who played alongside him." He added: "He had a charisma about him, he will be remembered as much for his character as anything else. He lived life to the full and loved his family, but he was always able to have a beer with the lads.

"Whether at centre-back, full-back or midfield, he could play anywhere. He virtually started the tradition of the ball-playing centre half. "If there was anyone a kid could look up to it was Emlyn, because of what he achieved and what he was as a person." And Phil Neal, who shared title and European triumphs with Hughes, added his tribute, saying: "It was lovely to play alongside him week-in week-out, he was a great captain and led us all by example. "He was committed to everything he did, be it play or raising vast amounts of money for charity. He had that great smile and I have never seen anyone else always so bright and happy. In all the years I knew him he was never down, never low. Just always a great motivator. "A few of us would travel into the ground together for matches, me, Tosh and Emlyn. And in that 20-minute ride he would convince everyone that we could win the game by two or three and we nearly always did."