Author Topic: Linear Tube Audio (LTA)  (Read 615 times)

Offline Rachael

• Trade Count: (0)
Linear Tube Audio (LTA)
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:39 »
Hi all there, I am looking for tubes pre pwr amps, budget limited at $20k, while reading up reviews n local threads of popular big bros brands (ARC Jadis etc), saw a review on a preamp of subject, seems promising by reviewer’s verdict, eg like below extracted from Positive Feedback;

“I was stunned by the performance of the Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2.0 preamplifier/headphone amplifier, used as a line stage, when it significantly out-performed my reference Concert Fidelity preamplifier on all sonic parameters. The Concert Fidelity, a hand-built piece from Japan that cost $24,000, had never been surpassed by any line stage I had auditioned for over five years in my system until the MicroZOTL 2.0 with an upgraded linear external power supply”

I am seeking your personal comments should you own/or had demoed experiences on LTA gears.

Thank you, best regards
Allen

Offline jaffrie

Re: Linear Tube Audio (LTA)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 19:24 »
Try not to get caught up with reviews. Best if possible is to get a home audition.
Room acoustics is important & also if the preamp synergize with the rest of your equipment.

Cheers

Offline Rachael

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 19:48 »
Try not to get caught up with reviews. Best if possible is to get a home audition.
Room acoustics is important & also if the preamp synergize with the rest of your equipment.

Cheers
Hi Jaffrie, thanks for your advices, u may rest assured I will not get caught up by reviews. While I love to if able to audition, considering such high comments from PF reviewer, apparently, there is no LTA dealer in SG.

Thank you, best regards
Allen 

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 13:27 »
Reminds me of my first forray into Hi-end after ready Martin Collom's rave review on Jadis Defy 7 review back
then, bought one & was not feeling fantastic about it. All that was good about it was it's mid range.
David Bernning is a clever man but I doubt it will be as good as a DHT preamp. Anyway audio is like food, everyone have different taste buds. Me I no longer am caught up in spending crazy money in audio. When you stop chasing the end of the rainbow, it'll be the time when you start enjoying listening to music which is the whole purpose in the first place right ?

Cheers

Cheers

Offline Rachael

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 19:06 »
When you stop chasing the end of the rainbow, it'll be the time when you start enjoying listening to music which is the whole purpose in the first place right ?

Cheers
I been telling the same to myself for years, but .....hmmmm 😅

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:39 »
Hi all there, I am looking for tubes pre pwr amps, ...

I haven't heard the MicroZOTLs, but I have quite a bit of experience with Berning's Quad Z monoblocks; if the sonic signature is anything similar, you want to be careful that your upstream kit is up-to-scratch, because the ZOTLs are ruthelessly revealing; bad recordings will sound very bad. Especially don't pair it with speakers/headphones that have a hot top-end (like Focals), it'll sound strident as hell  ;D

(By the way, upgrading your equipment is not mutually exclusive to enjoying music; most of us know how to do both... some obviously don't ;))
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Rachael

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 20:59 »
Hi AndrewC, thank you so much for sharing 👍

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 22:42 »
If Im not mistaken Berninngs recent designs are sort of OTL, great care must be taken to match especially his amps regardless of whatever patents etc that he may have.

Offline Rachael

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 08:07 »
Hi Jaffrie, noted, thanks 🙏