Author Topic: Harman House Curve for Audyssey Multieq App  (Read 1519 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Harman House Curve for Audyssey Multieq App
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:06 »
Hi All,

I have been reading about Harman Curve on the web and it was also mentioned in this forum. Anyone try the Harman Curve on the Audyssey App? Can share some insights on how to do it? TIA.

Offline rayleh

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17 »
My take on these house curves is...it is very much dependent on the room you are in. It’s a moot point here to discuss which house curve and at what boost of a frequency range is the best. What is best for you probably suited for your room size and not the rest. That is why not many members are willing to share what is the best except to provide more reading materials like what you did here (thanks for sharing the link)

In the same vein as room nodes is the content of the media you are playing as well. What works for movies probably ain’t gonna work well with 2 channel or multi-channel SACD or a Blu-ray concert.

There is a reason why flat response curve is the baseline in what most room EQ software is trying to achieve so that everything (from speakers to subwoofers) is able to play in concert for majority of the media content we throw at it. If you prefer that chest thumping bass, be prepared to experiment. Harman house curve or equivalent just provides you with a baseline to start with. It is NOT a one-size fits all solution if that is what you are after.

Too bad, we dun live in a perfect world. Some compromises have to be made, that is why some members have 2 systems to cater to different listening needs because of the content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rayleh

Re: Harman House Curve for Audyssey Multieq App
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:16 »
Realized that too. Thanks. Playing with the App Editor and still prefer flat as of now.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43 »
Harmon House Curve or not...this is my very own house curve which served me well for the past 1 week or so (through trial and error). Here's what I do...

First, check your subwoofer capabilities in terms of its frequency response. For JL Audio subwoofers, we are blessed with useful information such as the following:

Frequency Response (Anechoic) for E112
Between 22Hz - 118Hz (±1.5dB)
-3dB drop at 21Hz / 120Hz
-10dB drop at 17Hz / 153Hz

Frequency Response (Anechoic) for E110
Between 25Hz - 116Hz (±1.5dB)
-3dB drop at 23Hz / 120Hz
-10dB drop at 18Hz / 165Hz

With the abovementioned info, you can tell the E series subwoofers from JL Audio won't go as deep and it started to roll off at the low end (at 21Hz) and high-end (at 120Hz) for the E112. If this is true, then we try to avert from boosting the SPL beyond the E112's capaibility. I have chosen to boost +6db for the frequency range from 30Hz to 70Hz and then gradually roll off at about 170Hz (SPL at 0db).

The end result is a much more "meaty" mid-bass punch w/o any detrimental effect to the E series subwoofers natural roll off points at both end of the spectrum. Make sure to do a corresponding increase of 6db gain to the combined subwoofer levels on the AVR as well.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 13:49 by desray »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:51 »
Desray, thanks for sharing.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 13:37 »
@Desray,

DEQ on? any additional sub boost?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 13:44 »
@Desray,

DEQ on? any additional sub boost?

Yes DEQ is on. I set my LPF for LFE at 100Hz. Crossover for mains set at 80Hz. No “bloaty” bass as far as I can tell. The defining moment is when u playback The True Legend fighting scene into the snake pit.

BTW I also redid my Audyssey calibration again after the recent Audyssey App update. While I can’t really tell for certain at this point whether it does make a difference to the bass response or any of the frequency response for the entire speaker array, it will be worthwhile to redo your calibration again to see if there is any kind of improvement to your overall sound imaging and bass. Anyway, you got nothing to lose since you can always revert to the previous graph.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 13:47 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 14:01 »
I should also add that by adjusting the LPF for LFE between 120Hz, 100Hz and 90Hz-80Hz...this is what you will get:

At 120Hz (default): Much fuller and aggressive bass. Suitable for those who wanted a near-field tactitle effect, though it can be quite "chest-thumping" for some movies authored at very low LFE.

At 100Hz: Bass is less aggressive. Suitable for most movies with action sequences. A good compromise.

At 90Hz-80Hz: A much "cleaner" bass though less aggressive than the previous 2. Suitable for more general content like music and movies. I found myself preferring this when I listen to concert blurays.

Once again, YMMV...you need to experiment it yourself to see which suits you better.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 16:35 »
That was my intent when I started this thread. For members to share their experience even though I understand "there is no one house curve for all". Thanks again, Desray for sharing more insights on your experience. Going to play with the editor more and will share my experience too.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 20:14 »

Fine tune the subs last night and run Audyssey again. Sound is more crisp and can hear more detail. Increased the gain of the sub on the AVR by 4db. Watched a part of Conjuring where the exorcism was carrying out. The rumbling from the subs was scaring the hell of me. Also the stadium part from Oblivion, the whole living room was shaking. Ended reduced the gain to original level. Will listen more and feedback, happy now.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 20:32 »

Rayleh, I noticed the “after” Audyssey curve for your subwoofer is quite coarse. Where did you place your subwoofers?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 20:38 »
In the front flanking the left and right speakers. FR for the speakers are also quite coarse. My living room is quite bad but can’t shift the subs and I am using in-wall speakers. My sofa is also close to the opposite wall.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 21:00 »
In the front flanking the left and right speakers. FR for the speakers are also quite coarse. My living room is quite bad but can’t shift the subs and I am using in-wall speakers. My sofa is also close to the opposite wall.

Any chance you can take a snapshot of your subwoofer position using your phone and then upload it via the Tapatalk and let me have a look?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 21:16 »
Any chance you can take a snapshot of your subwoofer position using your phone and then upload it via the Tapatalk and let me have a look?

These are the locations of the subs.