Author Topic: Sharing: Projector mount fix for JVC NX5  (Read 413 times)

Offline Poppie

• Trade Count: (+1)
Sharing: Projector mount fix for JVC NX5
« on: August 05, 2019, 20:39 »
I am posting this to share my DIY projector fix for the benefit of others who may be facing the same issue. This is my take and I am not able to warrant the safety of this solution, haha!

So I had to change from my beloved Sony 50ES to a new projector because of issues that were unfortunately too expensive to fix. Pity it arose just after the warranty period.  :'(

I went with the NX5 and in order to save costs and minimise work, I opted to keep the existing mount. After all, how different can the JVC be compared to the Sony? I was wrong.

The JVC has 4 mounting holes where the footers are, compared to the Sony’s 3 and the diameter span is about 450mm. That's massive.

I was horrified but was able to get longer arms of the same type from SLT (a miracle). However, even these were not enough to span the huge distance. So I had to bolt the longer arm with a shorter one:

It is far from satisfactory and the mounts sag noticeably. I added a few zip ties for security but that still did not give me peace of mind.

I looked locally and online on Amazon and the choices were bewildering. None specified that it could span the huge diameter between mounting points.

Eventually, I got a 1.5mm metal plate from a metal fabrication place on Ubi Road 1 and had mounting holes drilled so that I could mount the spider as well as the projector. The solution is what you see below. It is similar to one offered by Chief, I think:

Thanks, Des for your help and for answering my questions. Hope this is useful and helpful to the community.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 13:10 by Poppie »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Sharing: Projector mount fix for JVC NX5
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 20:41 »
I am posting this to share my DIY projector fix for the benefit of others who may be facing the same issue. This is my take and I am not able to warrant the safety of this solution, haha!

So I had to change from my beloved Sony 50ES to a new projector because of issues that were unfortunately too expensive to fix. Pity it arose after the warranty period.  :'(

I went with the NX5 and in order to save costs and minimise work, I opted to keep the existing. After all, how different can the JVC be compared to the Sony- I was wrong.

The JVC has 4 mounting holes where the footers are and the diameter span is about 450mm. That's massive.

I was horrified and got longer arms (a miracle) but even these were not enough to span the huge distance. So I had to bolt the longer arm with a shorter one. The solution is what you see below:

It is far from satisfactory and the mounts sags noticeably. I added a few zip ties for security but that still did not give me peace of mind.

I looked locally and online on Amazon and the choices were bewildering. None specified that it could span the huge diameter between mounting points.

Eventually, I got a 1.5mm metal plate from a metal fabrication place on Ubi Road 1 and had mounting holes drilled so that I could mount the spider as well as the projector. The solution is what you see below. It is similar to one offered by Chief:

Thanks, Des for your help and for answering my questions. Hope this is useful and helpful to the community.

Thanks for sharing with the rest in the forum.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21 »
👍🏻 Great job !

I’m sure your post here will help many of those who are pondering how to mount it...

Offline Poppie

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:53 »
👍🏻 Great job !

I’m sure your post here will help many of those who are pondering how to mount it...

My pleasure, Sir. As long as it is useful to the community. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Here's a picture of the mount showing how much the arms needed to span:

It cost $20 including drilling the holes. The 4 for the footers you can measure- it's about 290 x 337/340 (measured many times with different measuring tape and there seems to be a slight disparity, haha) and the rest of the holes depend on your mount.

The plate is 1.5mm and it was quite light. Why is it 1.5? TBH it was just a guesstimate and not based on any scientific or engineering measurements (full disclosure: I do not have a technical background so please take everything I say here with a pinch of salt  ;)). Would 1.2 or 2mm or even 3mm work better? I don't know, haha. I guess common sense says that the thicker the plate, the heavier it will be, so it's always a trade-off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 14:53 by Poppie »

Offline JayKrishna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 14:28 »
Congrats Poppie for your new Toy and at last you settled down with mounting.
It is always nice to share which helps others.

Offline Poppie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 17:53 »
Thanks. Happy to be of help.

The space between the footers is 290 x 337 confirmed- https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_10626.pdf

Should’ve checked the manual to confirm instead of doubting my measurements and wondering why such a strange number, haha :D

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 22:09 »

So I had to change from my beloved Sony 50ES to a new projector because of issues that were unfortunately too expensive to fix. Pity it arose just after the warranty period.  :'(

I went with the NX5 and in order to save costs and minimise work, I opted to keep the existing mount. After all, how different can the JVC be compared to the Sony? I was wrong.

The JVC has 4 mounting holes where the footers are, compared to the Sony’s 3 and the diameter span is about 450mm. That's massive.

I was horrified but was able to get longer arms of the same type from SLT (a miracle). However, even these were not enough to span the huge distance. So I had to bolt the longer arm with a shorter one:

It is far from satisfactory and the mounts sag noticeably. I added a few zip ties for security but that still did not give me peace of mind.

Eventually, I got a 1.5mm metal plate from a metal fabrication place on Ubi Road 1 and had mounting holes drilled so that I could mount the spider as well as the projector. The solution is what you see below. It is similar to one offered by Chief, I think:

Wow ... that is scary and not safe base on what the current picture is . The new N series is 20 kg plus and minus .

it was great that you have change the new mount system it looks much better .

I think DIY is great but for things over head we must be more aware or diligent about it .

Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc