Author Topic: setting front LR speaker and centre speaker as large  (Read 584 times)

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
Hi all, I'm using 5.1.4 system.
just curious if anyone tried setting front LR and centre speakers as large speakers?

Was just playing ard, my front speakers shld go down to abt 50hz, I then set my sub to crossover at 50hz. Damn pioneer avr only allow 50hz, 80hz and 100hz, no minor adjustment for the cross over.

It actually sounded more powerful at the front, but somehow the surround seems lacking after I do this setting. But phase issue all this I not sure and not competent to tell too.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: setting front LR speaker and centre speaker as large
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 20:35 »
Hi all, I'm using 5.1.4 system.
just curious if anyone tried setting front LR and centre speakers as large speakers?

Was just playing ard, my front speakers shld go down to abt 50hz, I then set my sub to crossover at 50hz. Damn pioneer avr only allow 50hz, 80hz and 100hz, no minor adjustment for the cross over.

It actually sounded more powerful at the front, but somehow the surround seems lacking after I do this setting. But phase issue all this I not sure and not competent to tell too.

Pls DO NOT do that...what you are doing is "Double Bass" (LFE + Mains) which is archaic and redundant imo. What you want is for AVR do your bass management for you...you need to defeat the crossover on your physical subwoofers. Even though your Mains may be capable to go down to 50Hz, it is still not as efficient compare to a dedicated .1 (LFE) channel directed to your subwoofer(s) to produce bass optimally.

The result of "double bass" is surround sounds and dialogue will be "drowned out" making it harder for you to hear the surrounds.