Author Topic: Mismatched speaker types and crossovers - more damaging than you know!  (Read 587 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Well since I'm back to the Audyssey game (again), it also leads me back to the perennial issue of, "Audyssey doesn't get my crossover right!" conundrum. FWIW Audyssey doesn't set the crossover for each speakers, it is the AV Receiver manufacturers which determines the crossover setting for your speakers. Over the years, I have had witness one particular trend for some of the member's setup - i.e. not using the same make and model of the speakers for the entire setup. While we continue to advocate for the same make and model for the LCR, some of us simply ignore about the surrounds and even Height/Atmos speakers. Be it for reasons due to space constraints or aesthetics (WAF) come into play; some of us forced to combine "different" types of speakers (e.g. satellite speakers) with a full-range main speakers (LCR) that have a vast difference in crossover settings. The issue here is for a conventional (consumer-grade) RoomEQ in the likes of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, YPAO, MCACC etc will not be able to provide an "optimized" crossover settings for your Home Theater listening experience. For a very long time, we have focused so much of our attention on getting the best out of our Subwoofer for the LFE (.1 channel) and that we tend to overlooked the importance of setting a proper crossover on our AVR for the speakers we have. Most of us simply take the crossover settings after the calibration w/o even taking a second look at the results after calibration.

If your current speaker setup is what I have described above - i.e. full-range LCR (typical crossover at 60Hz -80Hz) combined with satellite speakers (with high crossovers in the likes of 120Hz to 150Hz), you may be doing yourself a disservice where you really "limit" on the potential of a good surround and DTS:X / Dolby Atmos (Object-based) effects. There is so much that a "consumer-grade" RoomEQ can do for a frequency response (20Hz - 20KHz). So to start enjoying better surround sound effects and optimizing the LFE (better handling of setting a LPF and let the Subwoofers takes over the LFE when it matters the most), you should start considering to make a switch to speakers with similar characteristics - e.g. similar sensitivity speaker rating (avoid mixing 4 ohms with 8 ohms speakers), opt for same driver size (for near timbre matching) etc which will help you to make avoid "big drastic" changes to your speaker crossover settings. The more similar the crossovers for your entire speaker arrays, the easier for you to achieve a more seamless home theater listening experience.

At the end of the day, it helps with better and more accurate determination of the F3 points for your speakers. With more accurate F3 points, This will lead to less "guessing work" for setting the crossover by the AVR.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:09 by desray »

Offline kaydee6

• Trade Count: (0)
Agree with speakers of similar characteristics. The reason why I've switched all speakers to SVS, even the sub. Also SVS suggests to add 10 to 15 hz to the lowest F3 of the speakers and this is what I did. 60hz for the Ultra bookshelves, 60hz for the Ultra center and 80hz for the surround.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Agree with speakers of similar characteristics. The reason why I've switched all speakers to SVS, even the sub. Also SVS suggests to add 10 to 15 hz to the lowest F3 of the speakers and this is what I did. 60hz for the Ultra bookshelves, 60hz for the Ultra center and 80hz for the surround.

Very optimized combo :)

Offline Bbos37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
One of the most common issues are the miss match of speakers combinations.
There can be a lot said about this but I just want to make a simple point.
After Audyssey I generally use REW to get the most smoothest curves I can get crossing all my speakers by Chanel(L/R/C,Surrounds,Back surrounds and Atmos ).
Usually many discussion on REW is based on sub.
But since I’m at it I just use it to tune the rest of the speakers by trying to get the best crossover point between the sub and whichever speaks that I’m tuning.
You’ll be surprised at the result it produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
One of the most common issues are the miss match of speakers combinations.
There can be a lot said about this but I just want to make a simple point.
After Audyssey I generally use REW to get the most smoothest curves I can get crossing all my speakers by Chanel(L/R/C,Surrounds,Back surrounds and Atmos ).
Usually many discussion on REW is based on sub.
But since I’m at it I just use it to tune the rest of the speakers by trying to get the best crossover point between the sub and whichever speaks that I’m tuning.
You’ll be surprised at the result it produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good use of REW...Kudos for the efforts!