Author Topic: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed  (Read 5379 times)

Offline ngsk

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2019, 19:32 »
Thumbs up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
With BEQ I think need to re-watch lots of movies liao. :D

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2019, 13:56 »
Looks like Ang moh also like HK movie IP Man! Now we have bass EQ for Hk movie!

Really awesome these guys at AVS, lotsa hard work for us to enjoy

I gotta re watch these movies with BEQ, see how it goes with midbass extension down to deep bass.

Ngsk, look forward to your feedback too on this one when u watch it! I probably won’t have time to test yet

Offline ngsk

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2019, 21:26 »
Sure bro,as I already finalized the subs level last Saturday n started to watch movie with BEQ liao.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 21:27 by ngsk »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 08:19 »
Sure bro,as I already finalized the subs level last Saturday n started to watch movie with BEQ liao.

Very nice , SYOK ! I’m sure you are enjoying every bit and part down Low , details and all the tactile , really nirvana indeed

Reason I asked is because when watching John wick 3 recently, somehow the midbass weight from bullets feels very different with BEQ on. But I haven’t tested on the Chinese kungfu movies, always have lotsa exaggerated midbass punches... 🤣 but nice! Hahaha

Good to know they do it for HK movies, need to check if they have one for true legend , that clip is my midbass testing clip

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2019, 10:15 »
Yesterday I went to see the movie the Joker. The cinema EQ is quite different.  Lots of low mid and mid bass. The highs are severely tailored down. There is this solo cello playing throughout the movie. It did make a great impact on the movie. I don’t hear any deep bass nor sound coming from the ceiling.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2019, 13:26 »
Yea cinema is quite challenging, due to the size. I think the materials / content itself has got a different sound mix, meant for cinema playback. A lot of times the bass is toned down for many reasons. Some kids/older people not able to take it, so they tone this down. Other reasons could be bass travelling next door. Imagine watching joker, the cello playing in Low levels and suddenly u feel the bass from next room playing Godzilla ! Lol

No choice, I think it’s hard for cinemas to replicate what we can achieve in our home set up, especially ULF stuff

Offline synthesis

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2019, 20:02 »
Read on Cerwin Vega Sensurround effect on theater buildings....

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2019, 20:58 »

All time bullet midbass favourite book of Eli , check out the bass Eq at 28hz, 6x shelf, midbass feeling itself is so different with BEQ on, not just the deep bass

No major spikes down Low freq, smooth sailing

Looks like gonna be a different movie all together

I normally check this clip for bullet decay, how the back wall disappears from the room, then the other thing I look out for in this clip is the high frequencies, 8khz -12khz zone....

Watching this movie, MK speakers come to mind...

This time round can focus on lower midbass extension

Can’t wait for Saturday

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2019, 08:46 »
Here is BEQ for the Incredible Hulk ! Reference stuff, need to reduce the MV by 5db, now u see why, these guys measurements are all accurately aligned

10hz is hitting -10 on the DB scale , compare it to IP Man above at -15

So we are getting a very nice balance overall

A single shelf at 46hz is all that’s required

Agrees nicely to what I was looking at the graph wit RTA

The hump seen above between 20-30, 58hz are the room modes when mic placed  beside MLP

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2019, 19:49 »
Completed my testing this afternoon on Book of Eli

Here is initial RTA graph at MV -9

Now look at it again with BEQ on, same volume

What an experience, with BEQ on it was an entirely different movie all together

I was experiencing bass moving to the back when the bullets decay off, superb bass imaging . Never experienced like that before

Toggling to and forth I soon found that bullet impact feels thin with the normal sound track. with BEQ, the weight of the bullet was much more impactful and the entire scene was so immersive

Loving it ! Totally no going back with these f18 subs, confirmed 100% plus chop!

Perfect for tomorrow’s demo, will include these clips

Offline ngsk

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2019, 19:58 »
After testing some movies the whole afternoon can firmly say that BEQ is something 'must have' to me for movie watching,it adedd so much more low end into the sound track,finally the subs full potential were unleashed. Movie tested were Dunkirk,The Book Of Eli n Ip Man,except Dunkirk extened to 20hz the other 2 <30~hz content was filter off,the weight added after BEQ was remarkably good,Dunkirk become the first movie i watch @-10mv instead of @-5mv which is my 'normal' volume,the guy that did the BEQ filter was spot on about the mv,this movie BEQ filter suggested a -5db cut on mv. The Book Of Eli gunshots now came with 'weight',the first gunshot @52~mins mark was the best,first the directional of the gunshot sound n after that decay off behind the surround back left spks with the bullet finally 'landed' on 'something'(sound like glass shattering),SUPER SOLID!!! Another 1 is the famous gatling gun shooting,the impect+weight of those shots are 1 of a kind type. Ip Man also like transformed into a 'new' movie to me,watched this movie for countless time,b4 BEQ those punch n kick never sound/feel so good. A totally new level of experience on watchng movie for sure.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2019, 20:19 »
Woo hooooooo

Very happy to know u r enjoying it to the Max now ! Glad u took this route , good move and one that has paid off really well

It’s really the best, so so good, feels very complete now

Enjoy ! I’m definitely enjoying every bit too. Slowly u will realise other movies will also have all sorts of new type of special effects not felt before ... hahaha

Offline ngsk

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2019, 20:33 »
Woo hooooooo

Very happy to know u r enjoying it to the Max now ! Glad u took this route , good move and one that has paid off really well

It’s really the best, so so good, feels very complete now

Enjoy ! I’m definitely enjoying every bit too. Slowly u will realise other movies will also have all sorts of new type of special effects not felt before ... hahaha

Wah,u 'fast hand fast leg' tested liao also. ;D ;D ;D Yeah it bring out something only can imagine b4 get to know BEQ,definitely not going back to watch movie without it.

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2019, 02:39 »
Today i had visited NGSK.
I want to thanks NGSK for hosting me to listen to his setup with BEQ mode.
Impressive setup he has and yes i love listening loud... ;D
With the BEQ mode on it really help smoothen the sound, bass have more body and can hear more background effect that get you more engage to the movie. You can play louder with the BEQ on... ;)
Regardless of with or without BEQ, as long as when you listen to a soundtrack and you don't get ear fatigue you know you can play louder and louder. If you feel fatigue mean bass not enough...you need lower freq bass to fill up and get rib of that fatigue feel... :)
How loud i will play? I will increase the volume until i feel the bass. Each of our bass feel has different level.  8) Just like taking drug...and to some they will feel that's unrealistic in real life.... :D
If we want to experience BEQ we will need multiple subs or bigger bass driver to get a better effect feel from the BEQ.  :)
That is just my thought... Cheer  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:41 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline ngsk

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2019, 08:14 »
Haha,no problem bro. Out of all who demoed till date u're the first 1 to ask to play louder!!!😅💪
It's good to be able to play clean n loud,i always placed clean as top priority goal. Next time if u drop by i can set the Rythmik f18s to low damping(on high since day1) to have a more full body bass sounds to your liking.😄
Yes BEQ added more 'dimensions' n 'weight' to the sound track,it definitely worth exploring but need subs that can go lower to benefit more.
Just a side note on playback MV suggested inside the BEQ file,for -MV it's better to follow as it's,for +MV can play @ your comfortable level. Tested  Kung Fu Killer with BEQ last weekend,it has lots of very high spl ulf on the background that's why a -6db gain on MV was suggested.
All files playback level have been verified by the files creator so it's safe to play accordingly without risking to blows the sub/s. The +/-MV based on individual playback MV not from reference @0db.
Enjoy BEQ!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:42 by ngsk »