Author Topic: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed  (Read 2979 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
Re: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2019, 09:25 »
Just came across this thread. Reminds me of the old days with Jag, circa 2005, when we were trying to EQ our SVS subs with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro, audio WAVS down to 10Hz and a Radio Shack SPL meter. Eventually moving to getting TrueRTA (real time analyzer software), microphone amp and Behringer microphone. But that was just for room equalization. Clearly, the newer stuff is much better with downloading, integration with movies etc, and enhancing lost infrasonic bass.

The cost of the new BEQ hardware seems reasonable, just wondering if its worth spending the time, especially since I'm using a 15 yr old HT; albeit after 15 years, its time to upgrade my speakers and 15 yr old Yamaha receiver. So may wait until I budget something to redo my whole HT room and then go all the way like Roni. I do have some limitations that my HT room is actually an attic made of wood, so with a single 1000W sub, the roof already feels like its going to fall off. I wonder what higher infrasonic bass will do to it  :o

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2019, 13:31 »
Wow 15 yrs old, that’s solid. U must be really happy with your equipment , pro!

Getting it right and being satisfied is a dream come true for many, including me. Go for it bro! It’s worth it. If u feel it needs to be done, then bite the bullet and Go for it!

You can see that it’s about tonal balance of the entire system, it’s not really about the SPLs, not about bringing the roof down or entire hdb block down. It’s more to enjoying a good 2-3hrs movie without feeling fatigue , enjoying the bass with speed, accuracy, details and yet able to clearly hear the treble and high frequencies, no masking

You can see the graph above on “unbroken” clip, one with bass Eq, one without. The spectrum with the bass eq on is very evenly balanced, that translates to many teeny tiny micro details and it’s felt when watching that clip

The main reason I’m sharing the graph, because if I just say it’s damn good, nobody will understand how good is my good , the graph will tell u, measured live

But u will need a good sub that can dig deep down single digits, it’s very satisfying indeed

If you are doing a demo, it also gives u that “edge” over other set ups. As with this, u are suddenly armed with content that was almost non existent in normal Blu-Ray or UHD

Conclusion—> DAMN WORTH IT

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2019, 14:50 »
Wow 15 yrs old, that’s solid. U must be really happy with your equipment , pro!

Getting it right and being satisfied is a dream come true for many, including me. Go for it bro! It’s worth it. If u feel it needs to be done, then bite the bullet and Go for it!

You can see that it’s about tonal balance of the entire system, it’s not really about the SPLs, not about bringing the roof down or entire hdb block down. It’s more to enjoying a good 2-3hrs movie without feeling fatigue , enjoying the bass with speed, accuracy, details and yet able to clearly hear the treble and high frequencies, no masking

You can see the graph above on “unbroken” clip, one with bass Eq, one without. The spectrum with the bass eq on is very evenly balanced, that translates to many teeny tiny micro details and it’s felt when watching that clip

The main reason I’m sharing the graph, because if I just say it’s damn good, nobody will understand how good is my good , the graph will tell u, measured live

But u will need a good sub that can dig deep down single digits, it’s very satisfying indeed

If you are doing a demo, it also gives u that “edge” over other set ups. As with this, u are suddenly armed with content that was almost non existent in normal Blu-Ray or UHD

Conclusion—> DAMN WORTH IT

Actually it is more convincing to listen (same a seeing is believing) rather than charts and figures :P

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2019, 21:31 »
Yes definitely need to have a listen to believe. Once you hear it , u will understand the benefits and what has been missing all along with most of the bluray .

You are right this graph just shows the missing frequencies that has been restored , but that doesn’t translate to good sound, totally agree with u. It’s only 1/4 of the story

The other 3/4 of the story will be on other topic in another thread ;)

But the good here is on the systems capabilities to playback those infrasonic details, that’s the good part I’m referring to, the missing details , this missing details can be seen from the graph, one with BEQ, one without

Of course this is only realistic with a good subwoofer , good Placement, well optimised subs

We can’t expect a sub that rolls off after 20-30hz to play at those levels down those frequencies, it would not be possible .

So the chart and the figures are merely to demonstrate how much details we have been missing when some sound mix Engineers decide to shelf those <20-30hz frequencies fro the sound track

Are u free this 22nd sept ? 2pm Sunday, let me host u, and if possible Sevenz if you guys can pop by. Would be a good session to exchange ideas, and u can check our room perfect and bass EQ at the same time ;)

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 22:54 »
Wow 15 yrs old, that’s solid. U must be really happy with your equipment , pro!...
my Polk Audio S6 fronts as well as my CS150 been with me from analogue age till digital age of today. so, good QC produce do lasts long for good。

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2019, 23:51 »
Just came across this thread. Reminds me of the old days with Jag, circa 2005, when we were trying to EQ our SVS subs with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro, audio WAVS down to 10Hz and a Radio Shack SPL meter. Eventually moving to getting TrueRTA (real time analyzer software), microphone amp and Behringer microphone. But that was just for room equalization. Clearly, the newer stuff is much better with downloading, integration with movies etc, and enhancing lost infrasonic bass.

The cost of the new BEQ hardware seems reasonable, just wondering if its worth spending the time, especially since I'm using a 15 yr old HT; albeit after 15 years, its time to upgrade my speakers and 15 yr old Yamaha receiver......
Nothing can beat the good old american or british or European QC of their audio products.
If u can grab hold of a BBE Sonic Restorer...

...this can offer u an ease in dealing with different frequencies.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45 »
You see someone commenting on this BEQ almost everyday at avs forum, almost everyone who have tried this, says there is no turning back , here is one I saw again this morning, also late to the game, but better late than never

Without BEQ

With BEQ

This is not about how loud u play, it’s about recovering the “lost details” down infrasonic

This type is always appealing to me, because it’s content that blends with on screen action, the full spectrum of it to single digit, everything plays a part from upper midbass to lower down infra

contemplating a minidsp 2x4 hd for the crowsons that is now connected to the Oppo 205, at the moment the crowsons actuator are not getting the full benefits of BEQ though it can play down to single digit, blending of crowsons is also critical, I have it arrive 1ms later....

By the way, speed of sound 343 m/Sec, so at 10hz = wavelengths are 343/10 = 34.3m Long.

I still prefer having my subwoofers far field , the gush of energy approaching MLP, feels very much nicer than nearfield subs. At such longer wavelengths, the feeling is like u know the mrt train is approaching from miles away, as it approaches u, it gets more intense and u feel some vibration , that’s how it feels with far field subwoofer placement

Much much more natural, nearfield... no no for me

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57 »
Bro the BEQ software on Minidsp is it free or need to purchase separately? Last week I bought a used nanoAVR HDA. Reason why I bought the HDA is because of the 7.1 analog out which I can use through the Krell Showcase 7.1 input. I am thinking of buying the mic for calibration and if needed will purchase the software as well. Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:00 by james46 »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 10:44 »
Bro the BEQ software on Minidsp is it free or need to purchase separately? Last week I bought a used nanoAVR HDA. Reason why I bought the HDA is because of the 7.1 analog out which I can use through the Krell Showcase 7.1 input. I am thinking of buying the mic for calibration and if needed will purchase the software as well. Thanks for any advice.

I believe u don’t have to buy the software, it comes with it. Use your laptop to connect or ethernet bridge or wifi

https://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=454&type=products

You can try the repository here https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ

I haven’t tried the minidsp as I sold off my ddrc88a. I’m using the Lyngdorf to manually input the BEQ numbers provided by the avs forum guys.

Also u can check out the remuxed BEQ for download, just to compare the difference. Within each file there are 2 seperate tracks , one with BEQ one without.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html#post56612588

I highly encourage folks here to venture into this territory, especially if your subs are able to play down Low to 10hz, very solid indeed , worth your time, trust me

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58 »
a newbie question please do not flame me  :-X

after doing dirac, the setting will be loaded into 1 of the 4 config. how should i combine the dirac setting with this BEQ?

Updates
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html
Post #4

found the solution to merge BEQ Movie files with your own EQ/House Curve using BEQDesigner App.

If you don't have the repo movie list downloaded yet, no worries,
the BEQ'D app will prompt you with an option to clone the repo to your PC before merging.

on the first go, please make sure you have your Sub EQ/House Curve settings on the miniDSP output channels.

1. Using the miniDSP software, export (save) your minidsp EQ/House Curve config to an xml file (make a separate folder to save it in)
2. Install BEQDesigner (it may take a minute, be patient)
3. Press Ctrl+X (or select Merge MiniDSP XML from the drop down Tools menu selection)
4. Press the repo refresh button to update the list to the most current content.
5. Enter your minidsp EQ/House Curve config file (from step 1)
6. Press Save (all merged new BEQ files will be saved to your BEQ directory on your computer)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:26 by exclusive »
7.2.4 [DENON X7200WA,MINIDSP DDRC 88A/2x4, ANTHEM MCA 3 POWER AMP POWERING KEF LS50 LCR C/W GRILLES,ADA MPA 5 POWERING DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK FV15HP+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7
EGREAT A10

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2019, 11:11 »
I believe u don’t have to buy the software, it comes with it. Use your laptop to connect or ethernet bridge or wifi

https://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=454&type=products

You can try the repository here https://github.com/bmiller/miniDSPBEQ

I haven’t tried the minidsp as I sold off my ddrc88a. I’m using the Lyngdorf to manually input the BEQ numbers provided by the avs forum guys.

Also u can check out the remuxed BEQ for download, just to compare the difference. Within each file there are 2 seperate tracks , one with BEQ one without.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html#post56612588

I highly encourage folks here to venture into this territory, especially if your subs are able to play down Low to 10hz, very solid indeed , worth your time, trust me

Thanks bro. I will try them out. I saw at the Minidsp site that there are optional purchases for additional plugins for he HDA. I am assuming that it is for dirac and auto calibration. Not too sure thought. Hence checking it here

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46 »
Thanks bro. I will try them out. I saw at the Minidsp site that there are optional purchases for additional plugins for he HDA. I am assuming that it is for dirac and auto calibration. Not too sure thought. Hence checking it here

I see, I think the HDA version comes preloaded with bass management, unlike the ddrc88a that requires seperate purchase of bass management plug in.

So don’t really need to spend money purchase anything. Just the hardware to handle Bass EQ

Really kudos to the guys at AVS for all the hard work in Bass EQ, we all reaping the benefits , no joke

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2019, 12:48 »
a newbie question please do not flame me  :-X

after doing dirac, the setting will be loaded into 1 of the 4 config. how should i combine the dirac setting with this BEQ?

Updates
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies.html
Post #4

found the solution to merge BEQ Movie files with your own EQ/House Curve using BEQDesigner App.

If you don't have the repo movie list downloaded yet, no worries,
the BEQ'D app will prompt you with an option to clone the repo to your PC before merging.

on the first go, please make sure you have your Sub EQ/House Curve settings on the miniDSP output channels.

1. Using the miniDSP software, export (save) your minidsp EQ/House Curve config to an xml file (make a separate folder to save it in)
2. Install BEQDesigner (it may take a minute, be patient)
3. Press Ctrl+X (or select Merge MiniDSP XML from the drop down Tools menu selection)
4. Press the repo refresh button to update the list to the most current content.
5. Enter your minidsp EQ/House Curve config file (from step 1)
6. Press Save (all merged new BEQ files will be saved to your BEQ directory on your computer)

Great job ! The site is quite informative ! Enjoy your BEQ! Watching movies with BEQ on will no longer be the same for u!

Enjoy

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 13:50 »
Here is one BEQ’ed version on the new sound track for Atmos HDR, the animation ratatouille

One of the best clips for demos

Can be seen it didn’t need much “correction” as the soundtrack itself has lotsa nice details

Some 5db attenuation needed at 31hz to bring down the meaty bass....

Looking forward to watch this with the kids  , BEQ’ed without saying...

It’s what the subwoofers are designed to do, that one job, handle all the Low bass !

SYOK!

For those who hasn’t dived into BEQ, it is not the end game yet! You need to visit this

Online Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 15:47 »
Ronildoq,

You are late to the BEQ game, but better late than never. You will not believe how much you have missed out until you try it out.

BUT

This can potentially destroy subs, so pls be careful and know your limits of your subwoofer capability.

We are talking about 15-20dB bass boost in the infrasonics range.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control