Author Topic: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed  (Read 10710 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 08:09 »
Wow I must say the tracks with bass EQ is tremendously satisfying. I can finally realise the full potential of the F18 seatons

However some of the tracks already had deep bass extension, looks like no need for any bass eq, they are extremely HOT , down lower frequencies.

Let me share below what I have been measuring at my place recently

First to note is that I’m already using an existing house curve like the one shown below :

The one below is without bass eq , the demo scene of Incredible Hulk , fighting with another hulk type monster , thinks it’s abomination

This was played at MV-25! See how hot the bass, but it’s very well balanced across the spectrum , 9hz is registering 130db, I always centre the cursor at 125db to look at how much more SPLs above the LFE content (125db)

This type of scenes don’t need any bass EQ...

More soon ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 08:30 »
Next one of the favourites for demo is the “cute girl scene in Dolby Atmos 2014 disc at MV -15. Again a very nice tonal balance from the graph, these are all felt, you can see the graph move as the special effects happen, so I know which scene is at what what frequencies .

Now if I’m a salesman selling subwoofers with good midbass output, I’d demo this scene , it is centred around 40-60hz, those bullet scenes , u can see below. It was played back at MV-10. If you have a dip at this location, you will not feel the bullet impacts , and u will go, how come no bass ??

Then if you wanna test the Lycan entering cave scene in “ underworld-awakening “, played at MV-25

It has extremely hot 20-30hz, this range actually caused the kk12012 to bottoms up, despite a 24db oct high pass filter at 30hz. This range is where I found that the kk could not cope with the seatons f18, it was bringing the whole system down, I eventually sold the kk12

Now if you wanna fry the subs, this scene is the champion ! Edge of tomorrow intro, opening scene. Even at MV-35, 10hz is registering 130db! If I played this at mv-15, it would be 10hz at 150db

Not a good clip to demo ! Do not have Bass EQ of other movies on when playing this movie.

I default the system to use default house curve everytime it’s turn on, on the Lyngdorf, so it doesn’t automatically pick the last used profile with Bass EQ, to prevent clipping or frying the subs

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 08:45 »
Next up, Kan Cheong bass ! Pulse type bass, this scene is from the demo clip, pulse server room, played at MV-15.
It’s mostly around 20-30hz, gives u a kind of push pull hearth beat effect, quite intense, this type of scene will annoy the neighbours.

My all time favourite with bass EQ, it’s champion ! “ unbroken” Atmos clip. MV-15, Amazing special effects, I can feel every bit of bass definition , layers, texture, very detailed down to the single digit. Very nice balance as well on the upper midbass and midbass with bullet scenes, very good demo material to test the overall quality of the subwoofer and system. The one below here is with bass EQ

Without bass EQ looks like this,
DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE ON THE SEATONS

Even the avengers end game is a different movie with the Bass EQ turned on, MV-19

This scene is when captain America wields mjolnir, nice extension down to 10hz ! The movement of Thor’s hammer in midair, amazing ! I can feel the hammer move ! But nothing felt in cinema !

My boy looked at me and he goes, papa the house is moving ! the kids enjoyed avengers end game with bass EQ turned on,MV-19, very enjoyable the entire system , they were glued to the big 135” screen , superb stuff. It was played back in Atmos with HDR X

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 12:43 »
Bro u on leave this week ah. So many posts. Keep it coming.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49 »
Bro u on leave this week ah. So many posts. Keep it coming.

Hahaha, nope, from previous experiments, wanted to share with the folks here, so everyone will have an idea how loud these clips play at which frequency and what type of feelings etc

Merely saying it’s good, syok, is not enough... needs to be backed up with numbers...

These numbers don’t lie, the feeling is real, solid stuff

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 13:21 »
It does feel syok but I just feel my house is tumbling down. As mentioned in my post on the House Curve thread, turned off Dynamic Volume and watching Alita (a short scene) at -15db, my heart almost popped out. My daughter came in from the kitchen and said that she can feel the rumble so decided to turn on Dynamic Volume to "Light" and watch at a lower volume. Not sure if I will disturb my neighbours.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 14:13 »
It does feel syok but I just feel my house is tumbling down. As mentioned in my post on the House Curve thread, turned off Dynamic Volume and watching Alita (a short scene) at -15db, my heart almost popped out. My daughter came in from the kitchen and said that she can feel the rumble so decided to turn on Dynamic Volume to "Light" and watch at a lower volume. Not sure if I will disturb my neighbours.

Yes I think that’s where the balance is off. You must be having some intense SPLs at 25-50hz, these frequencies when played excessively will cause fatigue. A good way to tell is keep exposing yourself to these clips, once u feel like tired and annoyed, that’s when u know it’s over the limit , u will have to bring those SPLs within that frequencies range down.

Watching movies should be enjoyable, that is why the bass EQ is here, to bring up the lost content below 20hz, these frequencies add a different dimension to the set up, 20-10hz zone. And when the subs are cruising, they are far more pleasing than freq pounding at 140db 30hz

See the chart I’ve posted on “unbroken”, movies should be watched at these type of levels, very good indeed , u can feel multiple layers and texture, and it doesn’t mask out the details at upper frequencies

Quite easy to find that balance, open up REw, then rta, put your microphone beside you with pc turned on, and watch the graphs move, make sure  “adjust rta levels” are ticket

From then onwards, u will understand what needs correction and how to build your house curve

Offline rayleh

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 14:58 »
You may be right. My main concern is if I will disturb the neighbours although I must say I did enjoy the syokness at that moment. Also, I have been watching movies at -30db to -40db all the while and decided to turn off the Dynamic Volume for once and turned up the volume to -15db. Anyway, to conclude that my wife will complain if I watch at this level for a prolonged period of time as my set up is in the living room so decided to turn on the Dynamic Volume to "Light" and watch at most around -30db.     

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 17:48 »
You may be right. My main concern is if I will disturb the neighbours although I must say I did enjoy the syokness at that moment. Also, I have been watching movies at -30db to -40db all the while and decided to turn off the Dynamic Volume for once and turned up the volume to -15db. Anyway, to conclude that my wife will complain if I watch at this level for a prolonged period of time as my set up is in the living room so decided to turn on the Dynamic Volume to "Light" and watch at most around -30db.     

Yes u will find that it sounds nice for that first 15 to 20mins, prolong it and if u feel it’s too much, then reduce the levels , this 25-50hz zone will annoy the neighbours, for sure... bring up the RTA screen and look at the overall graph when the demo clips playback.... play various clips, see how it goes, adjust according

A good starting point would be to have a +6db curve, anything between 4-8 is recommended for movies

I’m using high shelf filter 120hz, Q=0.4, gain -6 as target curve in living room, then I up the gain on MV by +6db

Adding a high shelf filter provides a phase lead, meaning there no delay. It’s a negative delay. A Low shelf filter or Low pass filter will introduce delays , which I don’t like

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 19:58 »

That is the predicament that you will have to face if your setup is in the living room. I feel your agony and frustration at times. Whatever it is, never antagonize the neighbors for this hobby. You wouldn't want that...trust me. Listen at the appropriate level - e.g. 30db - 25db is reasonable for the most part w/o sacrificing the dynamics and yet still can hear the sound tracks and dialogue pretty well imo.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 20:01 by desray »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 20:05 »
That is the predicament that you will have to face if your setup is in the living room. I feel your agony and frustration at times. Whatever it is, never antagonize the neighbors for this hobby. You wouldn't want that...trust me. Listen at the appropriate level - e.g. 30db - 25db is reasonable for the most part w/o sacrificing the dynamics and yet still can hear the sound tracks and dialogue pretty well imo.

Yes agreed, I have to do that now until I have dedicated HT room.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 20:07 »
Yes agreed, I have to do that now until I have dedicated HT room.

Very sensible move... :)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 21:46 »
With Beq, you now weld the power to reverse weak infrasonic bass. Enjoy movies so much now.

Playing loud and playing with restored bass are 2 different topics. But it’s important to know if your HT is capable to reproduce the bass you like.

Enjoy your HT!
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2019, 22:22 »
With Beq, you now weld the power to reverse weak infrasonic bass. Enjoy movies so much now.

Playing loud and playing with restored bass are 2 different topics. But it’s important to know if your HT is capable to reproduce the bass you like.

Enjoy your HT!

thanks Jag again! I knew i had to check it out one day, from a year ago when you told me about it, just havent had the time. Finally once the system is ready, had more time to explore this. Good stuff indeed from you, as always!

Thanks again!!

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2019, 22:51 »
Next i wanted to share this special clip, its from the Amazing Spiderman 2, andrew garfield version. Towards the end where spidey swings and sway up down left right on various buildings, coming under a crane and a chopper then using his web to move....

if you look closely at the above graph, it will tell you how this clip focuses on the infrasonic range from 8-13hz, what this scene brings is a type of body swaying effect, as if you are on a boat, swaying left then right, then pulling forward. The impact is quite enjoyable.

I am now experiencing a lot of different special effects feeling that has not been felt before. Those impact from 20 - 8hz is something new to me. even at lowered MV, it is still very enjoyable.

You dont need to crank it up to crazy levels, exactly how Jag puts it above. Its not about the SPLs. Its about the lost infrasonic frequencies, and how these clips are re-EQ'ed to bring about a better tonal balance from 80-10hz or below. If your system can dig deep down infrasonic digits with enough headroom, you will benefit greatly!