Author Topic: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed  (Read 10602 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Restoring Bass in movies using Bass EQ’ed
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2019, 09:07 »
Thanks ronil. Appreciate it

Could u help share your thoughts  on (2) also? :)

Hi bro, point 2 understanding is slightly incorrect. House curve is a separate thing all together, that’s moe to achieving the tonal balance/ equal loudness in ones room.

BEQ is different, it works with analysing a particular sound mix, then applies filters to restore lost content in that particular sound track.

Like a lot of Disney movies u will notice all frequencies below 30hz are non existent. So BEQ restores that sound mix by way of having multiple Low shelf filters, in the process it also works to provide a good tonal balance on the soundtrack itself, that’s the beauty of it

The end result is that if u listen at -20mv, almost all movies will be around this range, u don’t have to grab the remote to keep changing to -15, -10 on some movies, then -25 or -30 on other movies that are too loud. It provides that tonal balance for that particular movie

That’s the beauty of it, so u can still enjoy BEQ with your JL subs 12”, just not too loud as it eats into headroom as u go louder. U will still feel the “weight” and extension with BEQ on.

Don’t mistaken it for a tool of loudness and boosting ULF, it is not actually. It is restoring that balance

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2019, 09:18 »
Sevenz
Try this for a start. Restore the original subs settings post audyssey. Avoid boosting the subwoofer trim channel.

Don’t use any house curve, Just use BEQ. Pull out laptop, use REW, look at RTA (make sure adjust RTA levels are ticked), range it from 5-200hz, then look at the graph. Look at the levels DB (Z)

Start off at lower Master Volume(MV) levels first on your AVR, gradually increase and look at the levels. You should have an idea on your JL subs capability before it goes into compression?

If it doesn’t provide the syok, use a house curve + BEQ. Look again at RTA the levels, then find that level that you feel syok. DL the sample clips here from AVS here, play to and forth with MV until you find the levels you are comfortable with.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2019, 09:20 »
use the sample clips here

Unbroken -- with and without BASS EQ -->https://mega.nz/#!FBdnlSaT!ePx4pr8VWEqP6MHOvm-M6MBExQuA1VwkFy-uqUWWFOk

Ready Player one -- with and without BASS EQ -->https://mega.nz/#!hcMBGSDS!F66toa6Ub_sM-RIRW9S71E7U_k99ySphwCVSZSgo7A4

then decide, have fun

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2019, 09:25 »
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3038133/hong-kong-protests-police-use-controversial-anti-riot-sound

ultra-low frequency sound which will cause dizziness, nausea or a loss of sense of direction

Maybe only true if it is in the very low ULF with sufficient magnitude...
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline chaozhoi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2019, 21:29 »
Sounds like Hulk!

Offline ngsk

« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2019, 10:03 »
After playing more moives with BEQ during the past few days,Atomic Blonde is 1 of the movie that got the most noticeable 'upgraded bass' on the audio track as it almost got nothing below 50hz,using low damping on the Rythmik's also gain a more full body bass sound. I recommand to test it as a starter on BEQ,test the intro till first gunshot & from 1hr 10mins~1hr 20mins time stamp,music & gunshots sounds like another movie with BEQ,that gunshot @ around 1hr 10mins mark is incredible,the wobbling effect lasted for quite awhile!!! Sub that can play well on ~20hz content can fully enjoy this 1 liao.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2019, 08:37 »
Nice! I haven’t watched that one. Gonna check it out soon

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2019, 16:13 »
Drama also have BEQ

The mandalorian, very nice! Can watch it in BEQ, enjoy , baby Yoda very cute!!! What a difference the BEQ brings to the set up

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Enjoy HT Fully! :)
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2019, 16:29 »
After playing more moives with BEQ during the past few days,Atomic Blonde is 1 of the movie that got the most noticeable 'upgraded bass' on the audio track as it almost got nothing below 50hz,using low damping on the Rythmik's also gain a more full body bass sound. I recommand to test it as a starter on BEQ,test the intro till first gunshot & from 1hr 10mins~1hr 20mins time stamp,music & gunshots sounds like another movie with BEQ,that gunshot @ around 1hr 10mins mark is incredible,the wobbling effect lasted for quite awhile!!! Sub that can play well on ~20hz content can fully enjoy this 1 liao.
Nice thks sharing bro
Ya this scene got to try.
Low damping for teh body felt TR 
100% HT Lover 6.2.4  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR   Source: Oppo 203 & Egreat A5
1996 Sunfire Cinema Grand l Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2 THX® Select2™
M&K Sound LCR950 THX Select2 Series
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS
Sub 2: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports

Offline ngsk

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2019, 20:00 »
Nice thks sharing bro
Ya this scene got to try.
Low damping for teh body felt TR 

Yes low damping gain more output on 12~40hz areas with slightly longer decay time in my room which explain why low damping got more 'full body' sound with more 'kick'. Now run low for HT n high for music best of both worlds! ;D
For full bandwidth movie BEQ i recommend take a look @ this: Pan's Labyrinth very good movie both storyline n acting wise,director & writer is Guillermo del Toro,Hellboy 1&2,Pacific Rim also directed by him. This movie AQ without BEQ already damn good liao,with BEQ & the +5.5db MV suggestion,the audio track became even more 'powerful' n yet still sounds balance,gunshots(again!!!),bomb explosions,cavalry horses,all full of solid ulf,background music also fantastic,enhanched the tension on screen make u 'kancheong'. I have the blu-ray disc with dts-ma 7.1 sound track which got better extension than the uhd 1 with dts-ma 5.1,can check out the thread @avsforum for PVA graph on both.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:16 by ngsk »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2020, 08:49 »
Just finished my decoupling and coupling exercise... can’t wait to watch this one in BEQ

Race car whooshing past as they take that corner, hearing the sound of the engine...

Correction, “feeling” the roar of the engine in ULF....

Ahhh... my type of movie!! Can’t wait for this one.... plus has my fav actor Christian bale, looking forward to this movie in BEQ

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2020, 22:20 »
Just finished ford vs Ferrari in BEQ, damn bloody good !! Superb storyline and awesome pq on the BenQ

A Few nice wobbly scenes when ULF kicked in, especially during the race scenes

Best part is I got the height bass back ! Fantastic feeling, one of the scenes when the planes move above, the gush of energy  is at height levels ! Very syok ! Wow, very nice feeling indeed

I believe the decoupling is working, much less rumbling, energies are very focused and specific at exact places. Really feels like “object based” bass, quite different type of bass . Clean and nice, precise and very very detailed , energy comes fast, dissipates fast & love Christian bales acting ! So so good !

10/10 for me, superb with BEQ !

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2020, 11:36 »
Attempting my first BEQ remux, using BEQ designer app, to cut out specific demo scenes
Some snap shots on the filters used , that’s the demo clip for kungfu panda 2008 cave escape scene

The heat map of FL only

Will year and share once ready...

It’s also pretty good, tells me exactly in the soundtrack, which channel is clipping and their headroom, how much to boost and to reduce, there is even a slider to adjust Master volume. Really solid these guys from avs, good job !

I can now analyse every single movie sound track including their individual channels and LFE

I can also tweak to have specific boost or cut at any frequency I want to suit my room. But I won’t have to go there... all nicely balanced

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2020, 16:31 »
Venturing into some of the demo clips, here is what I discovered, this demo clip is the one where the Lycan enters the cave

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1goKV-89wXGAUz-gnBjH-3Pnhj66DqZP2/view?usp=sharing

It’s approx 1min 42seconds. This is the one very scene that caused the kk12012 to bottom out, despite a high pass filter at 30hz

Extracting the 7.1 soundtrack You can see clearly below the heat map, down to single digits, even before applying any BEQ

The scale on the left is the time stamp of the demo clip, left screen is LFE channel, and right screen is centre channel, you will observe there is quite a lot of bass content from centre channel, stereo bass routing to subwoofers. This is the breath of the lycan. The x scale below is from 0-40hz, colours on the right indicate levels from -70 to -10, the brighter the colours, the louder it is

Zoom in to the below, circled in red

U will notice it’s intense and very hot from 25hz to 30hz, right about between 29secs to 36secs of the clip. This area is where the machine gun rounds of bullets being fired at lycan, it’s also the scene I test for bullet speed all the time. Those who have been to my place for the demo will understand the feeling. So there u go, that’s the frequency and it’s extremely hot

Now zoom in to the graph, it’s easier to tell, or rather we are used to looking at graphs

The peak in green shows levels quite hot at 28-29hz, this is the frequency that will rattle the doors etc, do take note that by 70hz they roll off... nothing there... so u will know why I mentioned Hollywood movies all focus from 20-70hz for special effects . Also observe that it has a built in house curve as u can see on the track. Fire this on a 12” subs with +20db house curve , end game lo the 12” subs

Having said that, this is not a very good demo clip. There is digital signal clipping on the channel itself, from centre channel and lfe

On the lfe channel, the clipping is by 0.19db as can be seen on the headroom, circled in blue

On centre channel below , it’s clipping by 0.45db in the digital domain , shown as negative headroom. Positive is good

So when watching this clip, u will ideally need to lower the levels by -5db on the MV. There is way to calculate the levels post BEQ. So if u normally listen at -15db mv, now u listen at -20db.

All in really good app, lotsa things I can relate, after experiencing the special effects and then revisiting the graph. The graph tells me a lot of things that translates to actual listening experience , great job by the guys from avs