Author Topic: where should i place my ceiling speakers?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Krazyguy_08

• Trade Count: (0)
where should i place my ceiling speakers?
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:58 »

I am going to move into a resale 5rm and going to bring over my existing 5.1.2 system over. My living room is squarish with beam blockage, dimension from end to end is about 5.5m (Length) x 4m (width), excluding both dining area and walkway.

TV consol is around 8ft with 2 standing speakers and 1 cntr speaker. I am planning to wall mount my surround bookshelves speakers onto the top beam (At each corner) which the sofa will be placed slightly infront of the beam.

would like to seek expert's advice where should i place my 2 ceiling speakers for atmos effect?

Option A - Should i place on top of my standing speakers, incorporate into the false ceiling?

Option B - Should i place ontop the sofa, incorporate into the false ceiling? Only concern is that it may be too near the surround speakers and the sound quality may be affected?

Appreciate all advise.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:04 by Krazyguy_08 »

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Re: where should i place my ceiling speakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 20:25 »
For your surround speakers, is there any possibility to mount them at/close to ear level? :)

One problem if u mount surrounds at the rear top is - it could affect the overall sound presentation eg. The overhead sounds and surround sounds get "mixed up". 

If u have a layout, may be useful to post here so that easier for everyone to visualise & give better inputs :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 13:44 by sevenz »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 20:59 »
I have no choice so I use in-ceiling speakers for surround. Wanted to try surround at ear level but was told if the surround speakers are too close to the sofa, the listeners at both ends will feel overwhelmed. I do agree with Sevenz that surround and Atmos speakers shouldn’t be too close for clear disparity. I only have front height so no speakers are too close to each other.

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 13:02 »
I have tried 5.1.2(top middle), 5.1.4, and currently doing 5.1.2 but. 2 is front height. As haven't got time to set up the top rear.

End goal 5.1.4, with front height and top rear.

I prefer. 2 with front height than. 2 as top middle. It just make the whole front bigger. And subtle u still feel the height effect.

Top middle feels like height, but missing the big front space.

Offline deadrick

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 13:05 »
I have no choice so I use in-ceiling speakers for surround. Wanted to try surround at ear level but was told if the surround speakers are too close to the sofa, the listeners at both ends will feel overwhelmed. I do agree with Sevenz that surround and Atmos speakers shouldn’t be too close for clear disparity. I only have front height so no speakers are too close to each other.

If u place surround close to listeners, just stack it higher ard 30cm above ear and don't point directly as the ear, this shld help creating less direct sound.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 13:35 »
I prefer. 2 with front height than. 2 as top middle. It just make the whole front bigger. And subtle u still feel the height effect.

Top middle feels like height, but missing the big front space.

+1. I had the same experience & sentiments here between the 2 placements assuming can only choose 1, although Dolby guidelines is a little different.

For most movies, I find that there are much more height level effects that "come from afar" (e.g. ambient sounds, thunder, flying items) VS directly overhead sounds type (footsteps above you). So placing it at height placement will benefit a lot & gives a bigger overhead front stage
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 13:48 by sevenz »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 15:03 »
If u place surround close to listeners, just stack it higher ard 30cm above ear and don't point directly as the ear, this shld help creating less direct sound.

Thanks, will try that.