Author Topic: Phono to recommend  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Jagdpanzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • HT & Audio
Re: Phono to recommend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 15:14 »
Thoress stuff are all hardwired. Easy to repair.
My fren has one and you can play with the gain and loading on the fly. He ships direct and you can cut down on middleman and enjoy low Euro exchange.

Consider this one- very unique Phono Amp for your full range genre from pop to classical. You can adjust on the fly listening to vocal & etc as to suit own sound preference. You can set your preference 1 to 6- can combine  Low & Medium output cartridge and  Mono too. Before they build they will configure to your existing Pre amp- for compatibility. The good thing about Tube Phono builder as most of them will configure based on your Pre amp configuration- as to be in tandem in sound reproduction. In short, customisation to suit your need & listening pleasure.

Most Tube Phono amp- typically rich, warm & full bodies (pending on cartridge too)  as to suit your Solid state pre and power amp ( transparent, fast & clear sounding) is a good synergy for vinyl listening.

It is premium pricing-

http://www.thoeress.com/en/phono-enhancer/

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 15:16 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 12:01 »
With your budget for phono, and system total cost, you should insist on home trial for a few days as others have suggested. Reason is because we are in a highly urban and compact environment that presents unique challenges not found elsewhere. Some here have had problems with air-con, others with lift motors or fluorescent lamps, and me with RF due to where I live. If you have existing environment issues, the phono will surface it due to the almost 1,000 times amplification factor. You will hear hiss, hum, crackles or even voices. Home trial will help you choose a phono that has qualities that will reduce the noise originating from the environment. With analog, the noise can even originate from the tonearm wire acting as an antenna and the phono amplifies the little noise into one that irritates.   

Offline macrotrust

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 19:18 »
Wow Uncle BS- Vinyl playing is frail with "hidden" problem- like what you mentioned above- that every body must demand home trial- regardless of budget.

No such thing- this is only a possibility not a probabilty - it applies to all electronics gadgets whether digital , tv or analogy. Please don't create fear or probia in this forum for anyone interested in playing vinyl- it is more likely due to set up or just unlucky that your place is near power station or beside the building lift generator.

Not everybody is so lucky to have home trial- unless the boss know you very well or you have spend significant amount from that shop as you are "deem VIP".

Like that suggest people try Schitt Mani- phono amp only US$125 - Good and cheap as testing ground for all these "hidden" problem.

Offline Chubs

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 19:38 »
Hi Blue Starfish,

I of course do prefer a home trial, if given a choice. But I think some dealers are hesitant due to a vary of factors or past experience. But again, some dealers are happy to, especially if one has purchased from them before.

My home was rebuilt recently with a dedicated db and a separate clean earth. These have thankfully eliminated most of the noises.

Home trial, to me is to be able to listen to what is exactly presented at home vs listening to a entirely different set up. And it's the moment of truth, whether it's a keeper or not.

And definitely for a fact, chances of a purchase will be much higher with home trial units. Hope the dealers are reading my thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 21:04 »
What about an Accuphase Phono C-37?
http://www.accuphase.com/model/c-37.html
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 21:52 »
Hi Tiktotape, I have heard the Phasemation lower models and had not had the chance to listen to their higher models.

Go and have a listen to their higher models. If you like what you hear, I believe XA allows home trial if you are an existing customer.

Between Whest and Phasemation, I prefers the latter being more musical; both the tonality and expressiveness are much better against Whest -> more neutral.

Given that you are using Soulution and Giya, both are on fast and linear side, my suggestion will be Phasemation to bring a balance into your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shinyvinyl

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 21:28 »
Wow Uncle BS- Vinyl playing is frail with "hidden" problem- like what you mentioned above- that every body must demand home trial- regardless of budget.

No such thing- this is only a possibility not a probabilty - it applies to all electronics gadgets whether digital , tv or analogy. Please don't create fear or probia in this forum for anyone interested in playing vinyl- it is more likely due to set up or just unlucky that your place is near power station or beside the building lift generator.

Not everybody is so lucky to have home trial- unless the boss know you very well or you have spend significant amount from that shop as you are "deem VIP".

Like that suggest people try Schitt Mani- phono amp only US$125 - Good and cheap as testing ground for all these "hidden" problem.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Yes:
Blue_Starfish rears his head again, chanelling unsuspecting newbies to THAT shop.
And always painting the picture that the vinyl hobby is expensive, and not worth it unless you spend big bucks, and that the vinyl hobby is wrought with many dark sides.  He is almost single-handedly scaring so many newbies away.  If I am one, I would too, be scared away from this wonderful vinyl hobby reading his posts.  We all know he has "been there, done that", spent that $20k on his Whest, but there is no need to sound as if he is a guru of sorts.  His words in all these years in his posts, derive from an egotistical mindset.

Uncle BS indeed.

YUP macro bruh, it is good that you said this: "......unless the boss know you very well or you have spend significant amount from that shop as you are "deemed VIP"."

Well we all know Blue_Starfish has something ongoing with the shop that sells Whest.

Hi five!

We all have a duty to protect the newbies and fellow brudders.

Thank you macro.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 21:38 by shinyvinyl »

Offline francishuang

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 21:52 »
I do not think what blue starfish had said is wrong. Instances like what he mentioned does indeed happen.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Yes:
Blue_Starfish rears his head again, chanelling unsuspecting newbies to THAT shop.
And always painting the picture that the vinyl hobby is expensive, and not worth it unless you spend big bucks, and that the vinyl hobby is wrought with many dark sides.  He is almost single-handedly scaring so many newbies away.  If I am one, I would too, be scared away from this wonderful vinyl hobby reading his posts.  We all know he has "been there, done that", spent that $20k on his Whest, but there is no need to sound as if he is a guru of sorts.  His words in all these years in his posts, derive from an egotistical mindset.

Uncle BS indeed.

YUP macro bruh, it is good that you said this: "......unless the boss know you very well or you have spend significant amount from that shop as you are "deemed VIP"."

Well we all know Blue_Starfish has something ongoing with the shop that sells Whest.

Hi five!

Thank you macro.
Shindo is Music

Offline atx2

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 17:57 »
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Yes:

Uncle BS indeed.

Hi five!

Thank you macro.

Is just a hobby, relax man...forum is the place to exchange knowledge and ideas...Peace!!!
Analog all the way...

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 18:20 »
Well, OP is looking for a 10k phono stage. Home trial is unlikely to be a problem at that price bracket. And I've visited Blue Starfish before, he does have an issue with radio interference given his proximity to a transmission tower.

I don't see what he has written as fear mongering, but a legitimate problem that is worth highlighting. Especially so for guys running their phono stages at very high gain levels.

Less is more !

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Phono to recommend
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 18:40 »
Well, OP is looking for a 10k phono stage. Home trial is unlikely to be a problem at that price bracket. And I've visited Blue Starfish before, he does have an issue with radio interference given his proximity to a transmission tower.

I don't see what he has written as fear mongering, but a legitimate problem that is worth highlighting. Especially so for guys running their phono stages at very high gain levels.
Ditto, my friend who is residing in Bukit Panjang, had interference problem with Whest & Schiit phonostage but not with Phasemation or Rega. If buyer is more or less certain after audition at various brands in the showroom.

It is good to request home trial if a small fee if required, I believe the local vendor is more than willing to offset if it is concluded into a sale. Otherwise, can request the vendor to drop by with the unit and bring back after demo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 18:42 by Tiktokape »

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2019, 20:06 »
I once used a particular phono that would go 'pop' everytime i on and off the lights in my hifi room even though it was powered off a dedicated spur.
I changed to another phono (but not because of that) and no more such issues. Need to be careful with the phono you choose. I read that in UK, some phono even pick up radio signals.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 20:11 by scoobydoo »
In Naim, I trust.

Offline Chubs

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 14:48 »
Hi Tiktotape,

Sadly, XA does not have the higher Phasemation models in their shop. They are using the Wadax as their phonostage, and that sounds really good. And very sadly unaffordable.

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 16:43 »
Oh, check then whether they still have the baby Wadax, i.e. the Mizik. It's quite good. But be aware that it does A/D/C and handles phono equalization in the digital domain. I know it offends some people.
Less is more !

Offline Chubs

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 10:37 »
Hey Watchdog,

Thanks for the tip.