Author Topic: Denon X7200WA multichannel music problem  (Read 407 times)

Offline sonofdbn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Denon X7200WA multichannel music problem
« on: June 29, 2019, 23:28 »
I was fiddling around trying to output multichannel DSD files and SACD isos from a laptop to my X7200WA to get multichannel sound. I was connecting the laptop to the Denon via HDMI, and eventually found out that apparently it's not possible for a laptop or PC to send DSD over HDMI to a receiver (unless perhaps the receiver can accept DoP, which the Denon appears to be be unable to).

In the end I settled for using JRiver to convert DSD to 96/24 multichannel and send that over HDMI. (I would prefer to keep the signal in DSD, but it seems there is no way to fool the receiver into thinking that the laptop is an SACD player). This converting seems to work in that I do get multichannel, but I have a strange problem. In JRiver under DSP Studio / Output Format I originally set Channels to "Source number of channels", since I had no desire to change the number of channels. But then I found that if the source is 5.0 (seems to be mainly classical music), then the Denon front panel shows it as a stereo signal, and only outputs stereo. (JRiver says it is still sending PCM 5.0, so JRiver is not downmixing.) If the source is 5.1, the Denon accepts the signal as "Multichannel In" and outputs 5.1, as expected.

To test this a bit, in Output Format, I set Channels to 5.1, so that JRiver mixes the original 5.0 signal to 5.1. With this set up, the Denon treats the incoming signal as multichannel and outputs 5.1. So what is odd is that if the source is 5.0, the Denon will only output 2.0, but if it's 5.1 it will output 5.1.

I'm wondering whether the receiver needs a subwoofer channel or at least 6 channels before it will treat the signal as multichannel. It's not a huge problem, but I'd like to avoid the remixing in JRiver if I can and keep the original channels.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Denon X7200WA multichannel music problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49 »
I was fiddling around trying to output multichannel DSD files and SACD isos from a laptop to my X7200WA to get multichannel sound. I was connecting the laptop to the Denon via HDMI, and eventually found out that apparently it's not possible for a laptop or PC to send DSD over HDMI to a receiver (unless perhaps the receiver can accept DoP, which the Denon appears to be be unable to).

In the end I settled for using JRiver to convert DSD to 96/24 multichannel and send that over HDMI. (I would prefer to keep the signal in DSD, but it seems there is no way to fool the receiver into thinking that the laptop is an SACD player). This converting seems to work in that I do get multichannel, but I have a strange problem. In JRiver under DSP Studio / Output Format I originally set Channels to "Source number of channels", since I had no desire to change the number of channels. But then I found that if the source is 5.0 (seems to be mainly classical music), then the Denon front panel shows it as a stereo signal, and only outputs stereo. (JRiver says it is still sending PCM 5.0, so JRiver is not downmixing.) If the source is 5.1, the Denon accepts the signal as "Multichannel In" and outputs 5.1, as expected.

To test this a bit, in Output Format, I set Channels to 5.1, so that JRiver mixes the original 5.0 signal to 5.1. With this set up, the Denon treats the incoming signal as multichannel and outputs 5.1. So what is odd is that if the source is 5.0, the Denon will only output 2.0, but if it's 5.1 it will output 5.1.

I'm wondering whether the receiver needs a subwoofer channel or at least 6 channels before it will treat the signal as multichannel. It's not a huge problem, but I'd like to avoid the remixing in JRiver if I can and keep the original channels.

What s/w player you used to play those dsd files to your Denon X7200WA? Did you try foobar2000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdbn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Denon X7200WA multichannel music problem
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 22:12 »
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. When I say using Jriver to convert, I meant using JRiver to play and transcode to PCM as it plays.

I did try foobar2000 briefly. Unable to pass DSD, but two channel PCM was OK. Also tried six channel PCM with foobar2000, but sound was choppy and distorted. I think I was probably too ambitious with the PCM resolution. Will try foobar2000 again with the same JRiver PCM resolution of 96/24 when I get a chance.