Author Topic: Prices are going up, inflation  (Read 902 times)

Offline qflyer

• Trade Count: (0)
Prices are going up, inflation
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:44 »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/singapore-eases-monetary-policy-first-001334582.html
the sing dollar will be lower against a basket of foreigner currencies and that means things will cost more from now on. Price will further up when the transport fares are raised and that’s not the end, when gst is going to 9%.

Don’t forget the carbon and water tax previously.

Plain Prada will cost $2 or more each. Like that we are all toast

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Re: Prices are going up, inflation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:46 »
THE Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has eased monetary policy "slightly" in its latest half-yearly monetary policy review on Monday, making the slope of the Singapore dollar nominal effective exchange rate (S$NEER) policy band less steep and slightly reducing its rate of appreciation.

The width of the policy band and the level at which it is centred will be unchanged. "This measured adjustment to the policy stance is consistent with medium-term price stability, given the current economic outlook," said the central bank.

It's still on appreciation path leh...just the slope is lesser...

Small spike right after announcement https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=SGD&view=1M
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline qflyer

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:41 »
It's still on appreciation path leh...just the slope is lesser...

Small spike right after announcement https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=SGD&view=1M
Knn a 5% dividend yield reit will not beat inflation.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 21:13 »
Quite scary when 2 pcs kfc meal goes to $12.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
Prices are going up, inflation
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 22:51 »
Foodfare’s Rice Garden to the rescue!

We serve a selection of affordable concessionary meals starting from as low as at $1.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |

Offline EC100

• Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:35 »

NTUC keeping the price low.

Offline jonchew38

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:31 »
Singapore is an importer of almost everything. As such, our exchange rate tends to be kept on an appreciation bias. Its a matter of more or less appreciation ie the rate of appreciation. Historically, there are just that 2 or 3 times when it was being depreciated and the main driver was a recession or oil price plunge. That allows our inflation rate to stay controlled. Arguably, the times when we feel that inflation has jumped was due to the relaxation of the immigration policy. When demand increases due to demographic change, and the infrastructure could not keep up, prices would have to rise.

Offline dsj88

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:43 »
I have not shopped in NTUC Fairpice since I moved back to Sydney 10 years ago. During my last holiday in Singapore this year I went in for fun and was totally shocked at the prices. Beverages, cereals, household stuff etc was sometimes double the price for the same products in Sydney supermarkets. And importing from same countries! Okay some were from Australia like milk but paying $4 to $5 for a litre when it is only $1.10 here. Cereals are for the wealthy in Singapore I tell you after looking at the prices!

Offline qflyer

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:45 »

i tot i can visit foodfare everyday for the next 10 yeears but conditions apply.
The price is from $1.50 for ComCare and NTUC privilege cardholders and from $2 for concessionary cardholders, such as senior citizens, students, full-time national servicemen, and NTUC union members.

possible for more easing to come.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:48 by qflyer »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15 »
i tot i can visit foodfare everyday for the next 10 yeears but conditions apply.

Sure or not? 
Eat same type of cooking for 10 years?
 :D :D :D

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 11:20 »
I have not shopped in NTUC Fairpice since I moved back to Sydney 10 years ago. During my last holiday in Singapore this year I went in for fun and was totally shocked at the prices. Beverages, cereals, household stuff etc was sometimes double the price for the same products in Sydney supermarkets. And importing from same countries! Okay some were from Australia like milk but paying $4 to $5 for a litre when it is only $1.10 here. Cereals are for the wealthy in Singapore I tell you after looking at the prices!

Welcome to the New NTUC FP!  The more atas brand  ;)
You know they even created the even more atas "FairPrice Finest" with even more atas pricing   :D

It ain't the currency, it's primarily the rental & profits...

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 12:03 »
Cannot compare Australia price to here lah... Even when Australian average wage is higher than SGreans.

To compare... ok...
Here one big packet of MAGGI/MYOJO/KOKA noodle consist of 5 small pkts is retailed about $2.50~$3.30 while in Coles*/WoolsWorth**/IGA***(Australia version of ColdStorage/NTUC/ShengSiong) instant noodles are sold separately ranging from $1.50~$2.50 depending on brands. Korean noodles are surprisingly cheaper in Australia than in SG, despite it takes a longer trip to ship from Korea to Australia.
More to touch on when we are to compare stuffs imported from Singapore to Australia.

Here we pay roughly $1.20 for "Chili brand" uncooked beehoon. In Australia, is roughly more than double of that price.
Canned food like China canned "Narcissus Braised Pig Trottle with mushrooms" which we often used to stir fry the beehoons, is considered expensive here when it is now priced between $4.50~$5.50. But if when I go Australia, I lagi cannot tahan the AUD$12~14 price tag there.
Drinks? Dairy produce is certainly sibeh affordable in Australia. Especially Australia's own international label like PAULS or those under house-brand. The benefit of cheaper food price there mostly thanks to their Agricultural industry which is still vibrant. Australian strawberries per box @ AUD$3 makes Singies cannot resist to have it almost every single day. Roast Chicken? NTUC/ColdStorage is... KNN, small fry when compared to Coles/WoolsWorth in size, and in content! Where we can even dig out potatoes from the Aussie roast chicken butts!!!

Offline qflyer

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 12:32 »
Sure or not? 
Eat same type of cooking for 10 years?
 :D :D :D
No choice when you are poor. Beggars can’t be choosers.

When transport cost goes up ...... :'(

Offline matty

• tubey day!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 20:32 »
coffeeshop / hawker food is still affordable these days.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 21:39 »
tzechar goes up by $1
kopi o kosong goes up by 20¢
2 veg 1 meat chapchyepng goes up by 40¢
noodles be it wonton,fishball,mincemeat or handmade banmians upped by 50¢ or shrinks in portion for same price
...and more to mentione on kopitiam prices