Author Topic: GoldenEar SuperSubXXL  (Read 886 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
GoldenEar SuperSubXXL
« on: June 18, 2019, 20:57 »
My JL Audio f113 finally died. Apparently it’s known problem of the caps in the power supply. I might follow one of the guides on AVS forum to try to resurrect the sub by replacing a few busted caps but in the interim, I needed a replacement.

I had a few options in the range we carry at the shop. We don’t stock JL Audio but at almost 8 grand for the new f113 v2, it is pretty expensive. But after getting used to the f113, I think I would have trouble going too entry level as well.

So that ruled out the entry level B&W. The DB Diamond looked interesting but I wasn’t really looking for a sub for music. And pricing was getting up there.

I was kinda tempted by the KEF range but they don’t seem to have the R and Reference subs any more in Australia. Just the Kube 8, 10, 12. I did think about going for dual Kube subs.

But then you run into additional wiring and room to place two subs.

So then I looked at the M&K and the X10 with dual 10” we have was pretty sweet. But man, the exposed driver looked a tad industrial.

So then I looked at GoldenEar - founded by the old DefTech boss. I’ve already heard the old ForceField subs from GE and their active subs in the Triton series are pretty impressive.

So I took a chance and got the SuperSub XXL - with dual 12” drivers and dual passive radiators. It was compact, had loads of power and weighed like a hernia. (The JL weighed like two).

The SuperSub doesn’t feel cheap. Love the finish. And the compact size. The JL Audio does have XLR inputs - and also the ARO calibration system - which I don’t use for the HT.

So overall it suits me better.

And how does it sound?

Like thunder.

I plonked in John Wick UHD and fired up the nightclub scene. Every shot caused a ripple. The same sensation I felt with the JL Audio when I first got it. Overall I don’t feel any downsides “downgrading” to the GoldenEar. It’s really a scary good product.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
Re: GoldenEar SuperSubXXL
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 21:15 »
Sounds like my SVS PB12/2 from 2004! How many watts? I've found that room placement is critical and an 80kg sub is a PITA to move around the room. With SVS, I've been able to source replacement BASH amps so far, so although it is now 15 years old, it's still going strong. I've also got two spare drivers so it may last my lifetime :)

Two 12 inch drivers may not be as accurate as one 13 inch. How does it sound for music?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 21:16 by tsammyc »

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 23:23 »
Ooo nice. Thanks for the good review.

Seems like another good sub we can consider putting in our "recommended" lists. :)

How much is price of 1 sub?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:47 »
This is not a ported sub. The speed is phenomenal. About 1600W I think.

Here it retails for $3995

I reckon it sounds too close for comfort to the JL Audio.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:34 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:10 »
Here are some reviews

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/goldenear-technology-supersub-xxl-subwoofer-review/

I didn't have any issue placing the SuperSub XXL in place of my f113.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/goldenear-technology-supersub-xxl-subwoofer/

37.2kg - no wonder they were hard to move around but still movable - as opposed to the JL which was 59kg

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24 »
Congrats bro...this looked neat!

More importantly, the frequency response is pretty flat even w/o any calibration.