Author Topic: Will there still be a market for projectors?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline crosstan

• Trade Count: (0)
Will there still be a market for projectors?
« on: June 14, 2019, 22:13 »
Just like to hear opinions.
With screen sizes getting bigger, like Samsung 98" TV, or it's upcoming modular screen for consumer that can go to 292" with 8k resolutions, are projectors still relevant? Granted the prices now are beyond reach for the masses, but if demand catches on, technological improvements will drive the prices to more acceptable levels, probably within a decade.
Always have a thing for projectors. Feel it gives a better cinema like experience but the advances in projectors seemed to have slowed. Big screen sizes tvs on the other hand are getting more n more attractive, both in price and picture quality. The contrast from the oleds or even Samsung QLED are just amazing. Will there still be a future for projectors that makes sense for consumers (not something that is priced beyond reach for most), or will manafactuers stop investing in the product development and we see projectors being phased out?

Offline kaydee6

Re: Will there still be a market for projectors?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 22:16 »
Probably another 10-15 years before flat panels at 100” and above reach mass market price. In the mean time enjoy the projector.

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 22:46 »
The modular screen will be perfect, but otherwise today, a $2,500 BenQ projector throws a super sharp 150 inch 4K HDR image at 4000:1 contrast. Getting a 150 inch TV into your house will be impossible as it won't fit through the door. TVs have their place in bright living rooms, but for the cinematic experience, a dark cold room with a projector is just nice. The other issue is  the source material being produced. Material is coming out with 4,000 nits brightness, e.g. a small star in a black background. It's difficult for projectors to produce that level of brightness when everything else is black. So projectors may not be able to accurately produce some of the future source material, but neither can cinemas. Sony's latest 8K and the QLEDs are perfect for these although the 700-800 nits brightness of my OLED is already bothersome to me, so as long as it is a 4,000 nit dot and not a 4,000 nit HID car headlight shining into my eyes, I might be able to tolerate it.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Will there still be a market for projectors?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:23 »
If HT brightness levels ever gets close to real life; we'd probably be reaching for our sunglasses when the cloudless bright sunny day scenes come up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:36 »
The modular screen will be perfect, but otherwise today, a $2,500 BenQ projector throws a super sharp 150 inch 4K HDR image at 4000:1 contrast. Getting a 150 inch TV into your house will be impossible as it won't fit through the door. TVs have their place in bright living rooms, but for the cinematic experience, a dark cold room with a projector is just nice. The other issue is  the source material being produced. Material is coming out with 4,000 nits brightness, e.g. a small star in a black background. It's difficult for projectors to produce that level of brightness when everything else is black. So projectors may not be able to accurately produce some of the future source material, but neither can cinemas. Sony's latest 8K and the QLEDs are perfect for these although the 700-800 nits brightness of my OLED is already bothersome to me, so as long as it is a 4,000 nit dot and not a 4,000 nit HID car headlight shining into my eyes, I might be able to tolerate it.

When I first got the 1800 nits Sony ZD9, I brought it to the media room and set it up on a table and used it instead of my (then) JVC RS60 projector.

OMFG - my wife said turn it off. It was sooo bright in the dark media room.

Surprisingly the image wasn't as small because I set the TV about half the distance of my screen from my main viewing position.

So it filled up the field of view quite well.

I am using the W5700 Benq in a demo room in the store and I have to say, it is damn impressive with the right room. But I still prefer the W2700 for its overall brightness.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 10:40 »

Very well put...bro Tsammyc.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 10:45 »
For those who think projectors aren't "bright" enough for HDR titles, think again...the quality of "HDR" isn't all about "brightness" but how rather how well the display (Projector/TV) handles the tone-mapping as there is NO consumer-grade display (Projector and TV) that can really display a 4,000 nits reference for HDR content.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 11:31 »
For those who think projectors aren't "bright" enough for HDR titles, think again...the quality of "HDR" isn't all about "brightness" but how rather how well the display (Projector/TV) handles the tone-mapping as there is NO consumer-grade display (Projector and TV) that can really display a 4,000 nits reference for HDR content.

Actually, there is :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTEN813ceeA

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uTEN813ceeA&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uTEN813ceeA&fs=1</a>

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 11:36 »
Actually, there is :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTEN813ceeA

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uTEN813ceeA&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uTEN813ceeA&fs=1</a>

Haha. I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34 »
:D i have asked the local Sony Pro distributor for a price.

Lucky I was sitting down when he told me - A$25/26k estimated.

😱

But as Vincent says - the next 4000 nits display is from Dolby and it's not even sold - only for "rent" for calibration and nowhere as large.

Cheaper than the JVC Z1 and Sony 870ES 😂

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 12:46 »
Actually the biggest challenge with big screen TVs has to do with the transportation - with padding and boxes, they are GIGANTIC. I can't imagine how I could fit a 100" TV box through the front door when the 65" is already sooo big.

And they are also extremely fragile. The Sony rep said they lost so many OLEDs in transport 😱😭
End of Line - Derezzed

Online sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 16:04 »

agreed too. Well said  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 18:07 by sevenz »

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 18:35 »
Coming to your original question of whether projectors will be phased out, I personally think that it is a matter of time before home projectors will be phased out. I'm not talking about cinema projectors or biz projectors here.

There are a lot of people who will feel that a 75 inch or 85 inch TV is sufficient for them, and good enough a substitute for a projector based 100 inch screen. With TV technology advancing so quickly, but PJ technology moving slowly, it is just a matter of time before PJs are phased out, especially with the coming rollover and modular screens eroding the advantage that large traditional screens now have.

Face the facts - PJs and screens are troublesome to set up, and not mobile. Once set up, not easy to move to another location. Also more maintenance is required. And you need a dark room, calibration, and a professional installer. Given the TV options coming available, it will take a die hard enthusiast who is willing to go the PJ route. In time, there won't be sufficient demand for PJ makers to justify the R&D costs required to keep ahead of TV tech.

For myself, I am now enjoying my 65 inch OLED, and the quality is so good that I don't miss my 100 inch screen and sold Sony PJ.

Online Saycheese78

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 20:39 »
I do not own a projector. But guess it is the same of digital vs analog. Do you prefer to see light source or reflected light. We live in a world cinsisting mainly of reflected light. But i agree it is too troublesome.

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 20:44 »
OLEDs are the last word in contrast, but unless you sit really close to a 65 inch TV, you can't see 4K resolution over a 1080P 65 inch TV. Most living rooms aren't that narrow. Hence for 4K resolution, the projector is the only choice for most people today. For 8K, you will need at least 100 inches if you sit 3m away to see the difference over 4K. Hence, I see projectors being around for a long time to come.