Author Topic: Partial DIY 7.2.4  (Read 2268 times)

Offline corga

• Trade Count: (0)
Partial DIY 7.2.4
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:04 »
Hi Guys,
   Been wanting to give speaker building a try ever since I saw my friends fathers speakers MANY MANY Years ago. However I was hesitant to build something from scratch and also never found a good reason. However, I was moving into a new place and needed speakers. In addition, I found out about DIYSG from you guys ( Xtremeplace ) and that was enough to get me going ). But first of all, thanks again to

1. Ralfale - For sharing his experiences and giving his advice.
2. Wizard of OZ - Selling his clamps to me for a very cheap price and for his excellent advice.
3. Synthesis - For doing most of the work and his excellent workmanship.

So lets get started. Here were my requirements after a lot of back and forth and changing my mind.

1. Room Size - 4.1m by 4.8m
2. AT Projector screen on the 4.1m wall
3. 7.2.4 configuration
4. Motorised blackout curtains to block out light from the sliding doors.
5. Voice controlled light and AC control.

I will only focus on the speakers for now since this is after all a DIY thread.

Here is what I ended up with
1. HTM-12 Speakers for LCR placed behind screen. ( I wanted HTM-10 but they were not in stock at the time )
2. 4*Volt-8 Side and Rear surrounds
3. 4*RSL C34 for Atmos ( might replace this in the future with Volt-8's but decided to keep things simple for now).
4. 2*Custom UM18 based subwoofer.

Offline corga

Re: Partial DIY 7.2.4
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37 »
Step 1: Subwoofer

Goal - Go as big as possible and have at least two subs
Why - Better sub performance from a quality perspective.
What - Decided on the 18 instead of a 22 because the weight would be excessive. Chose the UM18 over the RSS460HO just because it seemed to be more popular. Not a very logical decision.
Ported vs Sealed - Went sealed due to size constraints.
Dimensions - 55*55*60 ( Height*Width*Depth )
Finish - Laminate
Connector - Neutrix Speakon
Amp - Crown XLS2502

Who - Bro synthesis helped me build the box. He did an excellent job and was super quick!!
Here are some pictures of his work.

Wood Cut to size:

Assembly

Painted

Stuffed

Tested

Offline corga

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:30 »
Step 2 - Surrounds

For the surrounds, I used 2*Normal Volt 8s and 2*Angled Volt 8s. Angled as the side surrounds were going to have to be placed above head level due to the glass sliding door. For these, I ordered the flatpack and shipped them via vpost sea.

Glue used:

Crossover Assembled:

Clamping Angled Volts:

These were a little tricky to clamp since the surface was angled. Did not do a great job even though I tried to glue one side at a time.

Partial Assembly of Angled Volts

Figuring out where to put the crossover.

Painted using Black Duratex ( Awesome stuff but destroys shirts if you get a stain )

Assembling Standard Volt

Added Foam 1 Inch Lining.

Painted with Duratex Black

Woofer and Tweeter

I also added additional polyester stuffing which I felt helped the sound. Now waiting for the paint to fully cure ( 7 days ) and will also post a completed picture of the speakers.

Key Learnings.
1. Need More Clamps - More is better. I personally had at least 16 clamps which might have been overkill ( Thanks Wizardofoz who provided most of them. The rest I got from the hardware shop ).

2. Do not overclamp - I clamped too tightly and it cause some pieces not to be aligned.

3. If you want a good finish then sanding the edges is essential. I was lazy and sanded too little. So the edges are still somewhat visible.

4. Flatpacks are awesome. Saves a lot of time but shipping is expensive.

5. Dont rush and take your time.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 18:12 »
Hi corga
Good luck in your journey! It’s awesome stuff. I am also in the process of fitttiing 4x magnum 12 behind mains as left right pair for stereo bass, planning on shipping these Drivers in from USA.

Which forwarder did you use for diysound ?

Online synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 21:44 »
Can't get enough of clamps  :D :D
Looking forward to see the complete setup  :)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 23:09 »
I want to know the source of that black crinkle paint :P
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 23:45 »
Partsexpress sells the black coating paint
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerators, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens With Powered Sled, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Reference 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp, Topping D90 (AK4499)

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 07:51 »
Whoa!! Congratulations!!! Great choices all round!! This is going to be epic!!

Will you also be building some bass traps and absorption panels? With that kind of firepower in speakers and subs, in the small room, you will really need to give some consideration to acoustics for best results. If the room is quite bare in furnishings , it will not sound so good. Imagine an empty storeroom /bomb shelter. Won't sound good and can't play any kind of loud before it becomes overwhelming.

Sucscribed and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I started with fusion 8 mains, fusion 8 MTM center, dual UM15 subs and 4x volt 6 for surrounds. 96in diy AT screen and lots of diy bass traps and acoustic treatments too. Small room 2.8m x 3.8m.

PS: I later added a pair of Magnum 12 MBM placed behind the couch.

Cheers!
Gavin

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:02 by wechnivag »

Offline ralfale

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24 »
Wow bro , looking great ! Almost similar setup to mine yours is bigger and more bad ass :)

Do invite us over when it's ready !

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 10:34 »
Holy moly so that pair of subs is yours! Sweetest max! Do invite once done. Can't wait!

The paint is very nice! Same finishing at PSA subs. If my cabinet is "wracked" enough by my kids, I will paint that stuffs around it too.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 10:53 »
Ya, the coating can take abuse.. :x
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerators, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens With Powered Sled, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Reference 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp, Topping D90 (AK4499)

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 10:59 »
Pray do share how you managed to get duratex?

Shipping them in is a pain because paint is considered hazardous material and can't be shipped via regular channels..

Offline P.J.

• Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 15:24 »
Pray do share how you managed to get duratex?

Shipping them in is a pain because paint is considered hazardous material and can't be shipped via regular channels..

Ship via ezbuy prime..done it many times..

@bro corga...welcome to the diy world.
I believe u'll find joy like i am...a firm believer of diysg products..they only need little wattage to shine...actually for ur room size, volt6 shld be mre than enou but overkill can be really fun rather than not enou...i went for a slightly badass setup for a room not much bigger than urs too...

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 13:42 »
Which amplifier did u go with to power the dual 18”? Seaton F18 uses the same ultimax Drivers , they are really good , very clean sounding

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal