Author Topic: Rythmik FV15HP and KK12012  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
Rythmik FV15HP and KK12012
« on: May 27, 2019, 23:25 »
Bros I am currently using these two subs. I know there was a KK 12012 and Rythmik Fv15hp partnership thread but unlike u guys I know sh1t about calibration  cmlj (complete dummy) and I have absolutely no option but to place mine side by side. See photo.

Due to space constraints I have zero options to move them anywhere else except that little area where they are. My HT is in my hall which is v roughly 9m by 3.5m and it is at one end of the hall nearer the windows.

Right now the KK's side woofer is facing the Rythmik. One of the Rythmik's port is plugged. I am awaiting the arrival of a long power cord so I can turn the KK's woofer to face the wall. Both subs are connected via LFE in. For the KK, it's set to the green dots so I do the settings via the AVR. I'm not sure about the Rythmik tho. Am I controlling from AVR or sub? I last accessed the back panel abt 2 years ago ;D

Although the sound is definitely better than just the Rythmik alone, I know this can be further improved.

Would appreciate any tips on the settings of the two subs shown below. I know I cannot possibly optimize the sound by just doing these but I ain't no HT nut and wouldn't wanna bother with all the complications. No need optimal sound, better sound good enough. Oh yah I forgot to post the settings of my AVR. Maybe tomorrow. TIA!

I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
Re: Rythmik FV15HP and KK12012
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34 »
Bro, Are you using both of your subs solely for your HT ?
Or do you use them for Hifi Stereo too ?
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:35 »
Yes bro, subs are for HT only bro. Right now I need confirmation that my Rythmik's settings are not controlled by the AVR. Thanks!

Offline ngsk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:45 »
Bro u need to connect the Rythmik sub using 'LINE IN' instead of 'LFE IN' to use the sub plate amp to control phase,crossover,etc with 'LINE IN' indicated. Using 'LFE IN' bypass all this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 14:18 by ngsk »

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 14:59 »
Ah, ok, thanks much bro!

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 16:14 »
I would suggest to sell one of them. Not much point to have 2 different co located sub.. suppose you are driving both full range.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 20:33 »
Bro Chowbotak, wasted such good subs but not able to perform at its peak.

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 21:30 »
What about place kk12012 on top of the F15 Hp? Calibrate them together like one sub woofer😬

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 21:44 »
I would suggest to sell one of them. Not much point to have 2 different co located sub.. suppose you are driving both full range.

Was thinking of that initially but I much prefer the two playing together however sh1tty the settings and placement are

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 21:47 »

Yes bro. Even my SFs cannot perform optimally in my living room. No choice. Unless I buy a bigger house ;D

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 21:48 »
What about place kk12012 on top of the F15 Hp? Calibrate them together like one sub woofer😬

Sure I can do tat bro? Actually tat would be good as I can save floor space!

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 21:56 »

Similar train of thoughts here too with Ralfale and Desray! Really awesome subs u have there and it's VERY WASTED that u can't optimise them. :)

I used to be on a KK12012 + FV15HP setup 2 years back. :) If u allow me to share, my own experience of integrating the 2, it's VERY DIFFICULT to integrate both of them without the means to measure + calibrate using measurements, and without a DSP. And make them sound better together VS just louder bass.

And it's additionally difficult, if I do not limit the frequency coverage for each sub because each will pull down the performance of the other at certain bass frequencies. The 2 subs are very different beasts, both tuned to perform at different freq spectrum. The KK runs out of steam faster than the FV15HP.

But even with means to measure, calibrate, align time domain, I felt that it was NOT EASY to integrate this 2 subs, to sound good together. It's easy to integrate them for louder bass, but it's another thing to sound good together. One of the most difficult pairing I experienced.

So, if u just want a hassle-free solution, keeping these 2 subs might not give u a better bass as what Ralfale mentioned. It might in fact, make your bass worse, most likely. More might not better in your case given the conditions you face, even though they are GREAT QUALITY subs.

Of cos, there are ways to optimise them, and sound better together, rather than worse. But I think u hinted that u do not prefer going down that route.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 22:29 by sevenz »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 21:59 »
What type of bass do u prefer/ like to have in your HT? :)

Assuming, placement of subs can only be at that location and no where else, and u just want hassle-free solution, my suggestions would be to:

1) If u like midbass much more - keep the KK12012. But 1x kk12012 may not be suffice to fill your room size of 9m x 3.5m. So maybe stack one more KK12012 on top. Plus, identical subs much easier to integrate, esp a stacked KK setup! :)

2) If u like low bass much more -  keep the FV15HP and just have 1 sub. 1 FV15HP shld be suffice to fill your room.

3) If u like your bass to be good in mid and low bass - take OPTION 1, but add bass shakers/ Crowson actuators to give u the low rumble effects. It still can give u a good extent of the low rumble effects. Or try what Joamonte mentioned (but, additionally, low pass the FV15HP so that it doesn't muddy the nice mid bass from the KK).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 22:32 by sevenz »

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 23:17 »
Thanks so much bro Sevenz! I want my bass to be good in both mid and low bass.
I'm not sure what is considered good to HT enthusiasts like u guys but even with the current settings, I prefer to have both of them in my setup. Maybe it's bcos I am not an HTphile and what some may call "don't know how to listen" type ;D

I'll adjust the settings, change the connection to the Rythmik to line in and turn the KK's woofer to face the wall and see how it goes. I'll keep in mind the option to get another 12012 or stack the KK on top of the Rythmik!

Offline sevenz

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 00:02 »
Thanks so much bro Sevenz! I want my bass to be good in both mid and low bass.
I'm not sure what is considered good to HT enthusiasts like u guys but even with the current settings, I prefer to have both of them in my setup. Maybe it's bcos I am not an HTphile and what some may call "don't know how to listen" type ;D

I'll adjust the settings, change the connection to the Rythmik to line in and turn the KK's woofer to face the wall and see how it goes. I'll keep in mind the option to get another 12012 or stack the KK on top of the Rythmik!

Liking both is nice haha... Me like both mid and low bass departments to be nice & strong too. :)

The kk12012's midbass is super layered, detailed & piercing. I love it!

U likely will hear 2 symptoms/ issues if u keep both subs and run them "full range". One symptom u might observe is that the FV15HP makes the midbass sound more muddy & less layered. Compared to running the KK12012 alone.

You can easily discern this by playing a good midbass reference/demo scene with very quick midbass hits. Then compare KK12012+FV15HP vs single KK12012. Of course, do EQ and calibrate both combi properly before comparing to have equal conditions. Well, 1 simple alternative to overcome this is to - lowpass the FV15HP at 30-50hz.

The other symptom u might see is that the KK12012 is likely to bottom out at very low freq scenes at certain loudness. Just play the popular Lycan in cave scene from the Underworld movie, and u will likely experience it. To solve this, u need a high pass filter on the KK12012.

If u need demo scenes to discern, feel free to ask for help here and the bass warriors can send it to you.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:35 by sevenz »