Author Topic: Revenge of the Pontianak  (Read 620 times)

Offline pschia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love Cats !
Revenge of the Pontianak
« on: September 03, 2019, 18:24 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/orcv3n8Mn3E&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/orcv3n8Mn3E&fs=1</a>
Glenn Gooi's Revenge of the Pontianak must be the most 'atas' Malay movie ever made.
The first thing that struck me was how good the cinematography was... each scene was painted with saturated colors that complimented each other and the art direction was so detailed that the movie looked like a work of art, just like what you would see in movies like In the Mood for Love. Then again, I guess that's what we can expect when the visual consultant for this movie is Christopher Doyle who had lit movies like In the Mood for Love and Hero.

What's more, Glenn Gooi really rocked the kebaya like how Wong Kai-Wai rocked the cheongsam in In the Mood for Love.
Your idea of what a pontianak looks like will never be the same again once you see the way she sashay into the scene dressed in a bright red kebaya and meticulously coiffed hairdo of a 1960s upperclass Malay lady.

The dialogue in the movie is no pasar Melayu despite the setting being in a 60s remote Malay kampong. The script for the movie was co-written by Glenn Gooi and Malaysian writer-director Gavin Yap in English and and then translated into Malay by outspoken local playwright Alfian Sa’at. Very proper Melayu being spoken down to the pantun-like marriage vows the couple exchanged during the ceremony but that could have resulted in the stiff acting all round by the actors trying to mouth those well-written lines. 
For a Pontianak movie, it is unfortunately not scary at all for the pontianak always looked so beautifully made-up and attired with not a hair out of place in almost every scene she appeared in. Even at her ugliest, you still would not be scared.
Oh well, at least the movie was beautiful to look at and I'm looking forward to its release in HDR later to see all those gorgeous darkly lit scenes in greater detail.  ;)
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline jerome_the_lang

Re: Revenge of the Pontianak
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 20:14 »
Disney is doing a remake with an openly gay character rumoured to be played by Ivan Heng...
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 20:39 »
Ivan Heng would make a really ugly Pontianak.  ::)
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline domho8

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 21:20 »
Ivan Heng would make a really ugly Pontianak.  ::)
Should use kumar better dah

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk