Author Topic: BenQ W2700 DLP Projector Thread  (Read 2216 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: BenQ W2700 DLP Projector Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 13:39 »
Tsammy, fantastic observation.

I was trying previously with two settings on HDR10, but the pj doesn’t allow for second profile , even in isf mode. For HDR , when turned on, will kick in to the sole HDR10 mode. No other options, unless HDR is disabled and then other viewing modes become available

I had the same experience previously, on the spears munsil disc, u can easily toggle between 600 nits, 1000nits, 4000 and 10,000 nits on same material. Even playing at 1,000 nits I found it to be slightly washed out . 600 nits was much much better

As U have clearly mentioned, turning off the WCG filter increases luminance . But toggling on off WCG comes at the expense of colour accuracy

That is why “ tone mapping” feature is very important When HDR is concerned

I tried a similar setting on Oppo 205, bringing the nits level down to 500nits, it doesn’t seem to be effective

HDR brightness settings help, but not much... that’s my experience so far with the BenQ

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 20:41 »
Watched X-Men Dark Phoenix today on UHD Blu Ray. Checked using UB820. Mastered to 1,000 nits. Turned wide color gamut on and perfect. Nice contrast, beautiful colors and sufficiently bright. Think I have this washed out HDR on projectors solved between the BenQ and UB820.

Roni, turning off WCG comes at more than just the expense of color accuracy. It's the loss of millions of beautiful colors, so its extremely important to keep it on, if possible.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 13:13 »
Watched X-Men Dark Phoenix today on UHD Blu Ray. Checked using UB820. Mastered to 1,000 nits. Turned wide color gamut on and perfect. Nice contrast, beautiful colors and sufficiently bright. Think I have this washed out HDR on projectors solved between the BenQ and UB820.

Roni, turning off WCG comes at more than just the expense of color accuracy. It's the loss of millions of beautiful colors, so its extremely important to keep it on, if possible.

Yes I have it turned back on now, then comes a scene, “ a quiet place” then it becomes too dark... lol

I think for now I’ll just have to toggle between WCG filter and HDR brightness settings

Maybe I’ll even limit the Oppo 205 to 350nits

Will report my findings again

I have no such issues whatsoever with SDR 4k, any scene thrown at it all looks fantastic